When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tempus Machina replica, how would you do it?

hologramet

I'm guessing that I'm not the only one drooling over this beautiful creation. I'm aware of several threads where this has been discussed. However, I haven't found any attempts at recreating a similar watch by anyone here.

Inspiration

Tempus Machina

rolex3-640x537.thumb.jpg.96e8b877baa0451Tempus-Machina-REF.-216A-1-e14344310301410666233_849439771808192_2005449619_n.th916508805494216214_679e66a81734.thumb.pntempus-rolex.thumb.jpg.e7645a02361448cfbTempus-Machina-Ref.-216a-Customized-Roleside-216a-rolex-tempus.thumb.jpg.dd5a73e

Athaya Big Crown

Athaya_8mm_v2.thumb.jpg.f7f29b65a6a78f69

Coin edge bezel + insert

Helenarou

Tudor_Oyster-Prince_HR_dial_-3.thumb.jpg

Nanuq:

Nanuq_bezel.thumb.jpg.914c8800729ac63b0e

Sapphire crystal

Seadweller crystal

Rolex-Sea-Dweller-4000-116600-watch-7.th

TC crystal w/o cyclops 25-286 2.0mm flat crystal 45 USD (incl. 2.7mm gasket)

caddell-signature-subs-04_zpsc91e8a96.th

Other options?

Dial + Hands + Bezel insert

Helenarou 6538 w/ custom print price 49 + 99 USD, unclear if possible to get w/ date window + hands 23 USD

Tudor_Oyster-Prince_HR_dial.thumb.jpg.b8

Donor watch for dial + hands + insert BP 116613LN 268 USD

submariner-116613-bp-marker-a2824-new-be

Date Wheel Overlay

Black DWO from TC, 20-30 USD?

Movement options

Using the stock A2836?
Purchasing a TC 2842?
Purchasing a SW-200?

------------

Build progress

I've started some work using a Noob Ceramic Hulk v3.

Midcase

• Chamfered/beveled the case + Trimmed away the crown guards and saved a small portion where the stock crown still resides. [X]
  • Drill 1,2 mm lug holes  [  ]
  • Purchase gen spec fat springs bars [X]
  • Purchase Athaya Big Crown + Tube w/ stem adapter aprox 50 USD  [  ]
  • Drill + tap hole for crown [  ]

Bezel assembly

• Coin edge bezel
    • Contacted Nanuq regarding the coin edge bezel above [X]
    • Which bezel assembly is compaticle with a ceramic inlay? Suggestions?
  • Modify ceramic inlay
    • Remove pearl, epoxy, brushing, enamel paint [  ]

Dial/Hands

• Contact Helenarou regarding custom printing + possibility of date window hole [X]
  • Donor watch BP 116113LN? [  ]
  • Age hands + dial, Big Dazza? [  ]
  • Purchase TC black DWO [  ]
  • Use red Yachtmaster seconds hand? [  ]

Sapphire crystal

• Boring option: Purchase TC no cyclops [  ]
  • Interesting option: Find domed sapphire crystal [  ]

-------------------

I'm thankful for any interesting input. If something is way wrong. If different parts aren't compatible [at all...]. Or if you have any of the parts I'm planning on using.

All the best,

Edited by hologramet

I think your biggest hurdle will be the bezel. Tempus uses the original Rolex bezel and machines the coin edge to it. I don't think the HR bezel is compatible with the Noob SubC. However, if you prove me wrong then hoooray! :)

The dial on the Tempus watch isn't printed. It is actually exposed gilt similar to the dials that cc33 uses on his builds.

With that said, good luck. Definitely a cool build..

Yes please keep us posted.  I have PBDad doing a build for me to imitate it.  He's 90% confident he can get it done.  He's been quiet most of the summer since I initiated it back in the latter part of May but I have a feeling before we get into winter I'll have a stunner on my wrist. I believe several others have also reached out to him so it may turn into a limited edition build he does similar to his Heritage HS01.

The dial on the Tempus watch isn't printed. It is actually exposed gilt similar to the dials that cc33 uses on his builds.

Correct - the dial will be impossible to recreate to the extent "the unspoken one" or whatever he refer to him as does it.  My 6538 he did the dial on is so uniquely different that any printed attempt wont recreate the magic.

Someone either here or on Homage Forum had reached out to Helenarou and he confirmed that he has all of the parts needed for the build.  He could sell them as a kit.  His case is already an oversized 40mm big crown case, with no crown guards, it has gen size lugholes and chamfers.  The Helenarou watch comes with the bezel and domed sapphire crystal.  In fact, the crystal is a big complaint for 6538 builds since it is domed sapphire, but it is a plus for this build.

It might be simpler to go that route. The only drawback is the bezel insert from Helenarou is aluminum.  Tough call on this.  It is such a cool watch but is going to take some work to get it right no matter which angle you use to approach it.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing someone's first attempt, though.

Hi guys!

Thanks for all the input and ideas. I'm glad to hear that similar projects have been started. Also yeah... The biggest problem will be the dial and bezel assembly.

I'm actually considering using the bezel assembly with insert and hands + dial from a 116613LN. I've tried to modify the stock bezel assembly to a coin edge, but failed miserably. Trying to do it by hand with a dremel was a bad idea. This might be a "cheap"/"simple" alternative: 116113LN BP or Noob whichever has the best bezel + dial with TC DWO (inverse) + TC sapphire + Yuki or Athaya crown + modded midcase.

• However... isn't it too much brass/gold-ish? Or?
  • Does athaya still sell the 8mm big crown? Or why do several builds (e.g. PBDAD) use the much much more expensive Yuki?

Photoshop-116113LN-Tempus.thumb.jpg.b3bc

But looking at it I realize how important the colored dial is... Helenarou's dials are great, but quite pricey and still not "true" gilt. I might be able to live without the coin edge bezel, but the dial...

• Anyone knows how to get in contact with cc33?

This is my current progress ( the lighting was very bad, so the chamfered edges look beveled instead)

IMG_20150912_144728.thumb.JPG.cebd6ee5b3IMG_20150912_140227.thumb.JPG.df7df59892IMG_20150912_140407.thumb.JPG.92c445d23b

• Any thoughts? Suggestions?

The dial is going to be your biggest culprit.  I didn't fully understand (and appreciate) what a gilt dial REALLY looked like till I got one.  I can post some shots side by side with a traditional whoopy "gilt" dial so you can see the difference...  True gilt as you all know is a multi-step process involving a gold plate and chemicals to create a negative relief - the gold shines through and depending on the lighting can appear gold all the way to a negative dark gray almost black.. a regular rep gilt dial has no such reflection and leaves a lot to be desired...  The Tempus is the sexiest watch I've seen in years but until we can find a good source for the dial I feel it'll be a half-@ss attempt no matter how we do it..

0912150739.jpg

0912150739a.jpg

0912150740.jpg

The dial is going to be your biggest culprit.  I didn't fully understand (and appreciate) what a gilt dial REALLY looked like till I got one.  I can post some shots side by side with a traditional whoopy "gilt" dial so you can see the difference...  True gilt as you all know is a multi-step process involving a gold plate and chemicals to create a negative relief - the gold shines through and depending on the lighting can appear gold all the way to a negative dark gray almost black.. a regular rep gilt dial has no such reflection and leaves a lot to be desired...  The Tempus is the sexiest watch I've seen in years but until we can find a good source for the dial I feel it'll be a half-@ss attempt no matter how we do it..

1) Yeah.. the dial. I'm thinking of either doing it 100% or not at all. I have a feeling that settling for a "custom" HR dial is still going to cost me 150USD+ and still not be 100%. Do you have any contact info to cc33/the nameless one?

2) Does anyone have any idea of a DSSD-type domed crystal (the SD4000 is good, but the form is more similar to a acrylic in curvature) but that'll fit a 40mm sub?

Crystal news:

Some updates, I'm now checking wether this one might fit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/29-5mm-Sapphire-Crystal-Watch-Crystals-Double-Domed-Height-2-8mm-x-Thick1-8mm-/301719925440
Instead of the stock crystal.

Big Crown:

Also a Big Crown from Adrian @ Athaya is on the way
1 x 8mm brevet crown = 35USD
1 x 1.20 to 0.9 stem adapter = 2.5USD

0912150739.jpg

0912150739a.jpg

0912150740.jpg

Either Freddy333 or cc33 posted this about a year ago (maybe 2 now), but one of those guys has some incredible step by step progress macro pics from "He who shall not be named" during the creation of a dial.  MIND = BLOWN after looking at each step of the process to create one of these masterpiece dials.  The "gilt" is simply the brass dial plate showing through the lacquer, but the process to build up the dial surface all around the brass is amazing.  Maybe one of them could post those pics again, or we could find a link back to that thread.  It is spectacular to see it. The guy really is a magician.

To the OP - the nameless one only works with gen dial plates.  The 6538 was a 38mm watch.  There is no way a gen 6538 dial is going to fit in a modern 40mm sub case.  Nor would you ever want to hobble together a replica of a custom build watch using a gen plate refinished dial. There would be a line of people here a mile long waiting to flog you if anyone heard that you took a Voldemort dial and clipped the feet to hobble it together into a rep.  That is blasphemy!  But it is a moot point, anyway, because it won't fit.

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Either Freddy333 or cc33 posted this about a year ago (maybe 2 now), but one of those guys has some incredible step by step progress macro pics from "He who shall not be named" during the creation of a dial.  MIND = BLOWN after looking at each step of the process to create one of these masterpiece dials.  The "gilt" is simply the brass dial plate showing through the lacquer, but the process to build up the dial surface all around the brass is amazing.  Maybe one of them could post those pics again, or we could find a link back to that thread.  It is spectacular to see it. The guy really is a magician.

To the OP - the nameless one only works with gen dial plates.  The 6538 was a 38mm watch.  There is no way a gen 6538 dial is going to fit in a modern 40mm sub case.  Nor would you ever want to hobble together a replica of a custom build watch using a gen plate refinished dial. There would be a line of people here a mile long waiting to flog you if anyone heard that you took a Voldemort dial and clipped the feet to hobble it together into a rep.  That is blasphemy!  But it is a moot point, anyway, because it won't fit.

Would LOVE to see those pics

• 2 weeks later...

How is yours coming?

Yeah.. Please share some info, dial? bezel? How's PBdad doing?

---

Some more filing and some polishing with the dremel resulted in this (excuse the plastic glue showing up on the bezel insert outer edge, haven't cleaned it throroughly yet)

IMG_20151008_084831.thumb.JPG.4cdd0ff6f0

IMG_20151008_082408.thumb.JPG.8a3958b38b