When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to source DD movement (3055 or 3155)?

Revere

I'm looking at a SS case daydate build, and would like to use a genuine dial and genuine movement. It looks like, with exception of dial foot length, dials can be used pretty much interchangeably across the 3055 and 3155 movement for the 18xxx DD. 

I found one movement w/ dial and hands on the bay, and that's it. Does anyone know where I could find a 3055 or 3155 more easily? What are these movements even priced at?

On projects using a genuine D-D movement you would need a solid 18k case to make it worth the trouble imho. The problems are today's $1200 gold and high rolex prices making these projects no longer worth the trouble and expense. When done, they are basically only worth the value of the movement/dial plus the value of the gold in the case unless you can sell it to someone who will pay a premium for the gold replica case. It was much different in the late 1990s/early 2000s with $300 gold...replica 18k DJ and D-D cases were around $600 to $800 back then. Price one today. At today's prices, a project using a genuine movement and solid gold aftmkt case will not cost a whole lot less than a genuine watch purchased at a reasonable price.

Btw, you can change brands (get away from rolex) and still find bargains in genuine high grade watches in gold cases. I bought an E. Gubelin automatic in an 18kyg 'waterproof' type screw back case a couple years ago for $300, a little over half what the case will scrap for, and one of my 'knock around' watches is a 1950s 14kyg Bulova snap back case with a modern Disney MU1100 'Blue Sky' Mickey Mouse dial with goldtone dauphene hands and two hand quartz movement on a sharkskin strap. A solid 14k MM watch for less than $150 plus a couple hours work...and I can change it back to original in about 30 minutes.

Looks like it will be either a 2834 or 2836-2; does anyone know the corresponding merits to these two movements in this sort of build?

The 2834-2 and the 2836-2 are practically the same. I've even seen 2836-2s with the day across the top like the 2834-2. So probably a few parts were swapped out to make it like a 2834-2. You should probably shoot for a  2834-2 movement, but as droptopman says, get with MMM.

You should talk to mymanmatt.  He has built more of these than anyone around.  

The 2834-2 and the 2836-2 are practically the same. I've even seen 2836-2s with the day across the top like the 2834-2. So probably a few parts were swapped out to make it like a 2834-2. You should probably shoot for a  2834-2 movement, but as droptopman says, get with MMM.

I've sent MMM a couple PMs to figure out some details about the build, thanks again for the suggestions. Nice to have such knowledgeable/specialized people on here!

You absolutely cannot go wrong with Matt. He has forgotten more about DJ's and DD's than most folks know!!

Remember Matt is in Dallas, the home of JR, Big Oil, Big hair and lots of wealthy folks and even more that aren't but want you to think they are!! I bet Rolex sells more of these models in Dallas and Houston than they do in any two other places in the world.

Matt has been building these outstanding watches for a long,long time, way before the Internet and watch forums.

Useless trivia

Texas State animal -Armadillo

Texas State car - Suburban

Texas State Official Uniform- Stetson Hat, Alligator boots, Wrangler jeans, Solid Gold Rolex DayDate

You might not own an Armadillo, but you sure need the rest!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1