When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help. - QC pic to high Amplitude?

Wasser&Brot

I understand the range we should be looking for, but if the ideal amplitude is a max of 300, what does this actually mean for watched with amplitudes of 310, 320, 330? Is it the end of the world? Is the watch left inaccurate? In need of servicing? I had a watch come in at 321 and I understood that it was over the recommended amount, but I didn't really understand what it meant for my watch.

Cheers!

Rax

To high an amplitude and the impulse jewel will start hitting the pallet fork causing knocking and inaccuracies in timekeeping.

Anything higher than 315 degrees is cause for concern, normaly too high an amplitude indicates a problem with the mainspring providing too much power.

Amplitude with 333...run away!

To high an amplitude and the impulse jewel will start hitting the pallet fork causing knocking and inaccuracies in timekeeping.

Anything higher than 315 degrees is cause for concern, normaly too high an amplitude indicates a problem with the mainspring providing too much power.

Amplitude with 333...run away!

Well that is about as good of an explanation that I've seen not techy just how it works and why bad/good, well done! :notworthy:

When you look at that trace above everything looks great. But that watch isn't moving, once it's on your wrist and moving about, a bit of extra inertia (?) and that can start knocking ;)

NOTE: I have seen twice recently a rather cunning little 'scam' regarding amplitude. Top right of the trace is the lift angle, this can be set manually and will affect the amplitude reading. It should be around 52 degrees as above. 

The 2 I saw recently had higher lift angles programmed which had artificially raised the amplitude ;)

When you look at that trace above everything looks great. But that watch isn't moving, once it's on your wrist and moving about, a bit of extra inertia (?) and that can start knocking

NOTE: I have seen twice recently a rather cunning little 'scam' regarding amplitude. Top right of the trace is the lift angle, this can be set manually and will affect the amplitude reading. It should be around 52 degrees as above. 

The 2 I saw recently had higher lift angles programmed which had artificially raised the amplitude

Was that little scam from TDs? That's not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure can & on some of the higher end timing machines you don't have to have the lift angle displayed.

The vast majority of people just have it set to "Auto" the timing machines normally have the lift angle preset to 52 degrees so just mount the watch and away you go.

Antique watches etc can have differing lift angles as does the Gen Omega Co-Axial watches. That's when you have to manually change the lift angle.

And before anyone asks, no I am not going to try and explain what lift angle is!

Sure can & on some of the higher end timing machines you don't have to have the lift angle displayed.

The vast majority of people just have it set to "Auto" the timing machines normally have the lift angle preset to 52 degrees so just mount the watch and away you go.

Antique watches etc can have differing lift angles as does the Gen Omega Co-Axial watches. That's when you have to manually change the lift angle.

And before anyone asks, no I am not going to try and explain what lift angle is!

This lift angle you speak of....

Jussst kidding. Thanks for the wisdom ceejay et al!

Hopefully this thread will help others out, too. I'm sure it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk