When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hbb Review

azgjav

175498-8541.jpg

175498-8542.jpg

first of all a great big thanks to angus for bringing such an awesome watch to the community and even bigger thanks to those dealers who were involved in the conception of the big bang. angus has always been a pleasure to deal with; good communication, fast shipping and bomb proof packaging.

some pple might think the big bang from pt is too expensive. however, i think it's definitely worth it if u take into account the quality and the attention to detail the makers and assemblers paid on the watch. as usual i'll be reviewing the bang as a WATCH instead of a REP..

case:

multiple pieces of brushed ss, polished ss and ceramic make up the case.. WOW

175498-8543.jpg

crystal:

AR coated sapphire crystal..one of the best AR so far, matches the famous pam036..not as strong as my gen breitlings tho.

175498-8544.jpg

175498-8545.jpg

dial:

gorgeous dial w lots of details..circular graining on the subdials and the outer rim of the dial..applied markers laser cut and v nicely brushed. some dirt on the dial but nothing i can't fix. :) the red used on the dial ain't striking enough, it shld be a lil flourescent..

175498-8546.jpg

hands:

chrome hands..some light scratches seen under a 3x loupe..nothing to worry about..

strap:

soft rubber strap w a very nice smell and slight tacky texture. extremely comfortable! edges of the strap is nicely finished.

175498-8547.jpg

buckle:

at least 5 pieces of metal make up the buckle. extremely comfortable, extremely easy to use, closes tight and looks awesome! the buckle has a disguised H logo which is nicely brushed..

175498-8548.jpg

175498-8549.jpg

movement:

asian 7750, nicely finished w black screws and a custom engraved rotor! what more can i ask!?

fit and finish:

usually when i receive a (rep) watch that i like, i will take everything apart and clean, polish, rebrush, oil, sand down rough edges, change screws and springbars, etc to improve on the details and make the watch feel and look better. the big bang, however, does not need such time consuming and anal retentive treatment at all..

the pieces come together nice and tight, no unsightly gaps, no rough edges, etc..as for the finish, the brushed finish is by far the best i've seen, even better on the 194 and AP RO jumbo. matches or even better my gen breitling skyracer and steelfish. the polished finish is nice and flat w/out any irregularities. most polished surfaces will appear black when viewed straight on. polishing on the screws are just as good. as for finishing on the nooks and cranies...well, i will let the photos speak for themselves.

175498-8550.jpg

175498-8551.jpg

175498-8552.jpg

brushed finish

175498-8543.jpg

175498-8554.jpg

175498-8555.jpg

175498-8556.jpg

crown, crowntube, inner surfaces of "CG"

175498-8557.jpg

rehaut nicely brushed

175498-8558.jpg

look at that high quality springbar!

175498-8559.jpg

inner surfaces of buckle nicely finished

175498-8560.jpg

175498-8561.jpg

movement

175498-8562.jpg

wristshots:

175498-8563.jpg

175498-8564.jpg

175498-8565.jpg

175498-8566.jpg

comparision shots w my gens:

175498-8567.jpg

175498-8568.jpg

175498-8569.jpg

in conclusion:

judging by the quality, it is definitely well worth the money! for those who has the asian 7750 phobia, you can slap in a pearlage/CDG finished swiss 7750 or 7753 w the custom engraved rotor and you will be looking at a watch which looks and feels like it's worth $10k. do i regret spending $400 on it? NO. will the price drop while the having the same attention to detail? i don't know; if it does drop to below $300 w the same quality and attention to details, my expectations for all new reps above $250 will rise to a level on par w my expectations for a $2k grand seiko or $4k breitling..

Thanks heaps for the review !!! This is very valuable !!! The description is in detail and the pics are very well made sometimes emphasizing the light reflection from the brushed parts, and sometimes showing the polished ones....i really love this review...or maybe i am biased cause i love that watch so much :D

Can you explain your suggestion for swapping the movement to something more reliable ? Does it mean you can swap in a swiss 7750 (according to Angus its not possible) ?

Sorry I am not very experienced with the mechanical part (i only know about their designs).

Enjoy it !! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanks guys!!

uzuizi: i think the case is so awesome that having a minimally decorated asian 7750 in there is a waste. i believe u can throw in a swiss 7750 moddified w the asian's mainplate to move the subdials or can slap in a 7753 and not use the date..

it'll be awesome if they can come up w a 2893 gmt version, fantasy or not..

• 2 months later...

azgjav,

I can't make it out from the pics, but you say this has an engraved rotor ? From all the other pics that Angus et. al. have posted it looks like the writing has been applied and is actually raised from the surface of the rotor.

Fantastic review. This watch is definitely growing on me!

My wrist is about 6.5". Any idea if this will be OK? Panerai 44mm and Breitling Evo look fine on me as far as I am concerned, but this may be different and is hard to find in store to try out for size.

Thanks

Absolutely wonderful pics and review! I wanted to ask Azgjav or any1 else, since you have experience with attaining quality pieces that I have never seen before, how reliable is the asia 7750 movement and is there any way that some1 could help me attain 2 specific watches: Alain Silberstein and Harry Winston (see pics below). Any possible direction you would recommend? Thanks a lot, once again, beautiful watch and great review, congrats!

mbko923

• 1 year later...