When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone Got a domed rep 1680 caseback??

denimhead

• 1 month later...

"Is there a difference b/w the 5513 case back and a 1680?"

Afaik the threads and overall sizes are the same but lower grade replica cases (cartel/DW etc) may be off spec. For example, my 'in spec' IG44 and Yuki 1680/5512/13 case backs will all interchange but DW cases came with two different case back thread sizes, one size will fit MBK, IG44, and Yuki but the other size is too big in thread diameter. Internally, Yuki, IG44, Phong etc high grade cases will be (should be) genuine spec but from what I have seen all DW and later MBK cases are the same internally no matter what reference number they are supposed to be.

MBK = made for Eta 2836\46 or rolex 1575 date movements (like in a 1680) but have 26.0mm dial openings where genuine 1680 dials are 26.5mm. Case backs are supposedly oem spec for threads etc. All I have seen were Ok.

DW cases = hit or miss for case back threads but internally all that I have seen (10) were made to 1680 spec for 1575 rolex date movements (or eta 2836/46) and have 26.5mm dial openings no matter what reference number they are supposed to be. Most came with spring wire bezels and the case necks were just a hair undersize and different crystal/bezel combos may have to be tried. They make very good 'aged' 1680 projects though. 'Aged' = they look like they have been heavily polished a few times and the case sides are rounded with no lug bevels and the lugs are a little bit thinner in side profile. With a full set of random scratches they look 40 years old. Full set = case, crystal, insert, rotating bezel, and bracelet.

Earlier cartel cases (Abay/Pam111 and other 'famous' sellers 10-12 years ago) were more or less genuine spec size on the outside but many came with the wrong size case back threads with case back gaskets mounted in the case like a vintage SD and many with oversized dial openings. The case necks were mostly oem spec so oem spec crystals and bezel sets will fit. They make good eta projects but may need oversized dials or precision fitting movement spacers to keep the dial centered. Case tube threads are oem spec. Most had lug holes centered in the lugs so they could be drilled out to 1.3mm without touching the bevel or lower edge...unlike many cases today. This is something to always look for before buying a case that needs to be drilled out.