When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you still get excited waiting for a new watch?

kernow

I'm having a few 'specials' built by a great member here. Over the last few years I've collected parts as and when they come up. I was in no rush to complete things, after all; "good things come to those who wait" or so my mother tells me. It's now been a while since I started and I'm getting updates and things are getting close on some of the builds. My excitement is mounting, partly because I can't go out and buy these watches off the shelf and partly because I've been planning these for years. Am I alone in this or do others get excited about frankens, more so than a standard (however desirable) rep?

• Like 2

I regret having to sell my baby, my Carrera franken, it has so much personal attachment to it, but when things got rough, it had to go, and at a great loss too, but needs much and all that.  I am now thinking of building another to replace it :)  In the meantime I have picked up a couple of m2m deals, one of which is this beauty which I plan on fitting a prof crystal in it, the dial looks amazing, really looking forward to receiving it, its in Helsinki right now...

001_zpskb1h5wln.jpg

I regret having to sell my baby, my Carrera franken, it has so much personal attachment to it, but when things got rough, it had to go, and at a great loss too, but needs much and all that.  I am now thinking of building another to replace it   In the meantime I have picked up a couple of m2m deals, one of which is this beauty which I plan on fitting a prof crystal in it, the dial looks amazing, really looking forward to receiving it, its in Helsinki right now...

725a7bb99db6597ef32e0cd5d9e9534e.jpg

Very nice choice!

• Like 1

Yes and no, it seems no matter what it is once I get it meh................. it may sit in the box (gen) for a week or two before I get the bracelet expanded :partytime:  or rep try on if fits off to the watch box. I buy watches for friends just because (that is fun) for myself very little out there that I have not had in rep or gen form , think how many pass my doors for raffles guys. When you have had just about everything you get watched out, not to say I still do not constantly look at different gens reps reviews etc I still do that all the time. I get the feeling if I hit the lottery and could buy anything I pleased it would still be meh when it was mine. But I did not answer your question directly no most of the time, in fact I forgot I bought a few M2M they just showed up.

• Like 1

The short answer, yes. Depends on the watch though. These MBW watches I was very excited for. On the other hand I bought the latest IWC 5001/5007 right when it came out. But I was away from the fora for a few months so I didn't have any of the anticipation that most of the other members had, waiting for its arrival. I did however get excited for the gen strap to arrive because the one that came with the rep was terrible so the watch couldn't be worn.

Excited like a kid before X-Mas eve. Read about the gen, read about the rep, research accessories, dials, inserts, bracelets. Once You´ve been through it all, the last few days, the suspense will build up to unbearable levels: was it the right choice? Will it live up to the expectations you´re trying to keep low because You already know the drill? Will it be nice on the wrist?

After months of research and some "do-it-Yourself", low budget vintages I decided to go rogue, throw build-cost worries over board for once, see what it´s all about, go for the difficult and I´m in the final stages of tracking my "out-house" RA-built, early sixties grail, pointed crownguards 1675 with lots of goodies. Very happy, all the excitement is still there:) 

Yep, every time. Whether is a gen or rep or a strap or a part....this hobby is like crack to me. Lately been selling of all my builds and buying working on a gen Rolex collection. I get the same feeling researching and shopping for a vintage gen as I did doing the builds.

Some watches come and the feeling goes away quickly and those are the flips. Others bring joy every time I put them on. Pretty happy with my Rolex collection right now so been bored lately. I spent a ton of time researching Panerai over the last week and bought one yesterday....and some gen straps lol. New chapter in this crazy hobby.

I've lusted after many a watch but when they arrive they just sit in the watch box as often as not. I bought a TC rouge new and wore it only a few time in 2 years! I sold it recently and don't miss it. But these new builds have me excited all over again, I hope I don't go down the path of frankening as it will keep me poor! 

I guess I get way to excited when waiting for a new watch. Cause once bought I'm going to buy stuff I need for this watch only (like straps, buckles, inserts, crystal, bracelet, dials, etc.).

Some of the "new" watches are becoming a keeper, but most went away after a few weeks...and I'm left with all the stuff I bought, not usable for other watches...

But it's getting better...actually I have 5 definite keeper in my collection, which means they last longer than 6 month :)

I still hope the excitement is cooling down at some point so I don't feel the urge to buy a new watch ;)