When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your fresh MBW 5513 really likes a new crystal

Tiyal

All,

Seriously it's an amazing watch & thanks to Rolexfinder for getting this batch of MBWs on the board and on our wrists. They are great.
I'm by no means a pro at modding and you'll see that through my write up here. But I do a have a few hacks(*) that can help some of you out there for your own build. 
Got in on the January batch of MBWs picked up a 5513, I like the subtleness of the no date. 
Watch arrives and it's beautiful. I wore it on canvas for a few weeks until I could spend a few hours hammering out the details and get a few parts in.
I ordered up a Clark T19, WSO 580 end links and a clasp from TC. About $75 in total.

1. Lug holes. Mask the case, you will end up scratching no matter how careful you are. 

2. I used the standard 1.2mm. In retrospect I would go for 1.25 or 1.3mm to let the pin show just slightly better but I had a set or 1.2 bits to burn up so there you go. 

*3. This is great. No power drill! No drill press! Slide the bit into an exacto handle and tighten down. I lubed the bit with some lithium gasket grease and went slow. I was able to get three out of for opened up to 1.2 until I got impatient. Worked great! When I started to rush and use less grease I snapped the bit and broke it off in the lug. I've never not broken at least one bit off. Not a real big deal you just go through the other side and eventually it will get pushed out by the opposing bit. Patience is key. Go slow. If you hear scraping add lube so you don't over torque and snap the bit. 

4. De-cased the movement and loosened the crystal retainer. Applied hand pressure and the crystal comes right off. 
image.jpeg

5. Test fit the T19 with both the retainer and case worked great. Found a gasket for underneath the the retainer. Applied a layer of glue (jewelers adhesive) to the outside lower case neck. Then cleaned and cleaned and recleaned to make sure no glue would get near the top or onto the rehaught and crystal. Slipped the t19 on checked again (last chance) for wayward glue. (I would of used crystal cement but I broke the applicator) 
image.jpeg
*6. Time to grease the gasket up (a little extra helps it stay in place as the retainer get positioned.  I don't have a crystal press, for that matter any press. In the past I've used a 22mm socket (horrible idea) I found that a sodastream bottle worked perfect as it seats right against the retainer! And with the right amount of pressure the retainer was set. 

7. Bracelet. I had an NOS rep bracelet sitting in the parts drawer that I had already opened up to 2mm. Off with the clasp, on with the TC. A little thread lock on the screws and stunning. Note the TC clasp finish is superior, to the band but on the wrist you'll never know. 

8. Fk up the keyless works. My favorite thing to do of all time. I sued a .6mm screw driver (bad) to release the stem and drove it through the opening pushing the setting lever up into the operating lever rendering the whole works INOP.

9. De-case again, hands off, dial off. 

10. Watched this video 6 times  http://youtu.be/qtgAJBPPefM  at minute 13:15 it's all keyless works. At minute 15:15 they op engages the setting lever spring on the setting lever and the return bar. *That's key, I think I've missed that in the past and thought that I'd killed the movement. So, reset all that, dail on, hands on and positioned. 
image.jpeg
11. Time to clean up. Clean the dial off with rodico. Blow the interior of the crystal off wipe down repeat, repeat again. Clean the case threads with rodico. Recase, check in direct light, decase clean again, curse the dust, repeat. 

12. Gaskets greased, steam goes in with a little help. Not easy but I got it. (Would of gone gen crown here but it'd need a new gen tube) 

13. Final assembly, grease the case gasket, torque the case back tight, bezel and insert on (popped the pearl out almost immediately, I like the look).

14. Clean with semichrome then windex then a little stainless cleaner. Light buff on the case where I didn't follow my own advice and mask. 

15. Enjoy.
The new crystal makes a huge!!! Difference in the watch. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Tiyal
  • Like 3

Nice job! Get yourself an Ofrei pearl, best and cheapest on the market! Trust me it will do wonders for giving a genlike look.

Does the crystal really make that much of a difference. I really like the crystals that came with my 5512 & 5513. Definitely replaced the 1680 those since the cyclops was crooked and not strong enough.

What improvements do you find from the Clark crystal vs the MBW?

For the Clark it was clarity and refraction at the edges. Instantly stunning. I like the metal bracelet, that adds to the luster. But the crystal was the biggest change. Went from like to love. 

That said, I'm already trying to talk my self out of swaping out the dail and hands. At that point I'd drop a pearl in. ... And quick insert bleach. Never ends lol

Edited by Tiyal

4 minutes ago, Tiyal said:

For the Clark it was clarity and refraction at the edges. Instantly stunning. I like have the metal bracelet, that adds to the luster. But the crystal was the biggest change. Went from like to love. 

That said, I'm already trying to talk my self out of swaping out the dail and hands. At that point I'd drop a pearl in. ... And quick insert bleach. Never ends lol

The dial is decent but I just received two Yuki dials and while not perfect, I think will make a dramatic difference. Sounds like you know your way around, it's not too hard to swap a dateless ETA dial and hands. Just installed this set on my 5513 today (left), medium bleach and Ofrei pearl on the 5512 (right) but stock MBW dial/hands.

IMG_0513.JPG

• Like 1

That's the impression I've got after reading a couple of 5513-build threads here on RWG. I think @jackflashmade some magic with a Cartel 5513. Maybe he can chime in...

The CWP T19 from Michael Young is better than the Clark T19. I found that the Clark's crystal distorted the rehaut of the Cartel case making it look wider. The Cartel case is a copy of the MBW, so the proportions could be the same with the same detrimental effect. Here's the link to my crystal odyssey:

http://rwg.cc/index.php?/topic/174653-Cartel-5513-rehaut-width