When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

gold plating? 25 microns?

GWP123

Until now, I have focused my rep buys to Stainless Steel watches. Recently I've been eyeing gold cases, specifically the Patek Philippe 5227 Yellow Gold (  http://www.ttw8488.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_205&products_id=14180  ). The watch is a beauty. That said, I am completely oblivious to the worth, quality, and longevity of different plating. 

5 microns?  25 microns? What does it all mean and what does it matter.

My curiosity is, 1. Can you tell the difference between a solid and plated gold watch? 2. Is 25 microns enough to last and not rub off? (for that matter, is 5 microns?)  and lastly, is the price differential worth it? The 5 micron option is in the 300 range, while the 25 micron option is in the 800 range. 

This watch is a beauty!!! I'd love to know what you all think about the watch and the gold platting situation.

First, it's not gold plated. It is wrapped. That means they put a layer of gold over the case. Depending on the thickness, it could have a lifespan of 20 years. Rolex did that on their 1500 cases in the 70's and 80"s. Gold plating will eventually wear off in the high rub areas. This case is gold wrapped, and if you like it, buy it. You will not be disappointed.

Touchy subject! Google gold plating and see for yourself what it entails. It's likely that the plating will outlive the watch anyway. If you really love the watch buy it and enjoy. If it does start to wear through in, typically, a few years, get the case replated. 

1 hour ago, GWP123 said:

For that matter, should I go for the cheaper 5 microns ($300) over the 25 microns($800)?

I believe that will depend on how much you wear the watch. a "gold wrapped' is essentially a solid gold sheet that is wrapped around the stainless steel case. I have seen Rolex gold wrapped cases that are from the 70's that still look like new. If it is a daily wearer, it will eventually wear through and the stainless steel below will show through. like kernow said, the plating will probably out live the watch, and the gold wrapped certainly will. If It were me, the price and popularity of the watch would be the determining factor as to which I would get.

If you google "gold plating" and "gold wrapped" you will get a lot better idea as to the wear And longevity of these processes.

I went back and looked at the listing you put up. The  Calatrava is a dress watch, which I would suspect is not going to get much hard wear. Unless you wear a suit every day and intend to wear it as a daily wearer, the gold plated version would be fine. If you wore the gold wrapped version every day under a long sleeve shirt and coat, I bet it would outlast your interest in the watch. As Matt said, probably 20 years. So my advice would be simply this. If the watch is going to be a dress watch worn occasionally, get the cheaper plated version. If it's going to be used every day, go for the wrapped version.

I have a genuine IWC Calatrava that is solid 14K gold, it was 20 years old when I got it, I've had it for probably 15 years and I expect that it will outlive me as well as my son who will get it when I leave this big orb!! By the way, when I bought it, I paid less than what Trusty is asking for the PP Calatrava gold wrapped rep!!

DSCF0959a.jpg

On 4/10/2016 at 3:01 PM, panerai153 said:

I believe that will depend on how much you wear the watch. a "gold wrapped' is essentially a solid gold sheet that is wrapped around the stainless steel case. I have seen Rolex gold wrapped cases that are from the 70's that still look like new. If it is a daily wearer, it will eventually wear through and the stainless steel below will show through. like kernow said, the plating will probably out live the watch, and the gold wrapped certainly will. If It were me, the price and popularity of the watch would be the determining factor as to which I would get.

If you google "gold plating" and "gold wrapped" you will get a lot better idea as to the wear And longevity of these processes.

I went back and looked at the listing you put up. The  Calatrava is a dress watch, which I would suspect is not going to get much hard wear. Unless you wear a suit every day and intend to wear it as a daily wearer, the gold plated version would be fine. If you wore the gold wrapped version every day under a long sleeve shirt and coat, I bet it would outlast your interest in the watch. As Matt said, probably 20 years. So my advice would be simply this. If the watch is going to be a dress watch worn occasionally, get the cheaper plated version. If it's going to be used every day, go for the wrapped version.

I have a genuine IWC Calatrava that is solid 14K gold, it was 20 years old when I got it, I've had it for probably 15 years and I expect that it will outlive me as well as my son who will get it when I leave this big orb!! By the way, when I bought it, I paid less than what Trusty is asking for the PP Calatrava gold wrapped rep!!

DSCF0959a.jpg

That IWC Calatrava is a beauty!!!

• 4 weeks later...