When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Extreme modding V6 noob submariner with genuine movement

Marwanharb

Hello everyone! ;))

This issue has always kept me from buying second hand watches :nono:

Is it possible to put a genuine rolex 3135 movement inside a noob V6 with SA3135 previously installed?

Isnt this very dangerous as dealers or watch sellers will think its real? I read an article that said that full 18k gold rolex cases were made in mexico including bracelet, crown and everything!

Experts chime in por favor!

I'm not sure the OP was saying Rolex made cases in Mexico. I read it as meaning replacement cases are made in Mexico to scam the uninformed. We all know this did happen and to some extend one could still get it done. Since the price of gold went up and in many cases steel Rolex are more saleable than gold, in fact some are down right worth more, so this is not a common thing now. Some reps will take a genuine movement without much difficulty, but I think experts would not be fooled on careful examination.

Cavet emptor! As the oft quoted saying "buy the seller before the watch" and if it looks to good a deal to be true it probably is.

9 hours ago, Marwanharb said:

Hello everyone! ;))

This issue has always kept me from buying second hand watches :nono:

Is it possible to put a genuine rolex 3135 movement inside a noob V6 with SA3135 previously installed?

Isnt this very dangerous as dealers or watch sellers will think its real? I read an article that said that full 18k gold rolex cases were made in mexico including bracelet, crown and everything!

Experts chime in por favor!

Yes these are known in the hobby as "frankens", genuine parts assembled with rep ones to create more accurate looking watches.

Since you are a jeweller, you must know already that it takes more than just a genuine movement in a replica to pass the watch as genuine.

There are other parts like the dial, hands, crown, crystal, case, bracelet etc to consider and examine. Of course, genuine papers and box too.

I would not be too worried about replica watches being passed off as genuine ones if I spend some time to do some research on the watches I wish to buy.

Certainly there have been replicas passed off as genuine watches, in fact Mymanmatt reported a couple of weeks ago a jeweler friend of his took in a Rolex and it turned out to be less than genuine. As we all know reps are getting better and better, but they are still not perfect. Even with a gen dial, bezel, insert, crown hands, etc. there will still be "tells", however subtle they may be. You are not going to fool the guys here that are experienced, and you aren't going to fool and experienced watchmaker who has had hundreds if not thousands of Rolex watches in his hands over the years. If you walk in a jewelry store that sells 15 brands of watches, and find a junior guy who has no experience, then you might pass off a really good franken as a gen. but if there is a considerable amount of money involved, the junior guy better get help with verification, lest his next selling venture being selling shoes at payless!!  So no matter how good the "replacement" case is, it's not going to be 100%.

AFA the question about Rolex parts made in Mexico, there were at one time q

People been frankening long time ago...  Back in the 90's Taiwan had already mastered the techniques producing true 1:1 two tone Jubliees with solid 18K center link, 0.6mm in thickness, round inner corner as per gen.  Its been over 30 years rep making in Hong Kong when gold Presidential models were hot cakes, you could literally walk into any gold smith ask for 18K 18238 cases made...  Hence the reason why brand new Datejust cases are all over the places for sale?  One can still spot one or two every now and then on the bay...