When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

JKFactory 1665 and Athaya crown

GenTLe

Hi vintage Rolex experts.

One of my future purchase will be a JK factory 1665 DRSD.

Overall it is ok, and I already have a 2842 (21.6kbph) Swiss movement ready to fit.

One of the annoying thing of this model:

vintage-sea-dweller-1665-jkf-best-edition-double-red-a2836.jpg

Is the thick crown.

I did some research and got that original one is 24-700 to 24-702. 24-703 if it underwent to a Rolex revision.

The dial apparently is a pre-Mark V (maybe the.most similar one is Mark III).

So... Which of the crowns versions would be more appropriate? And do you know if Athaya has it and if it will fit il the rep tube?

Thaaaaanks, GenTLe

I used an athaya 702 crown and tube on mine. First of all the athaya crown won't fit the tube that's for sure! In my case I had to retap the case with an M3 x 0.35 tap. I heard some people where able to fit the athaya tube without retapping. On my 3 cartel cases I had to retap them all. Very easy task tho. Let us see your build :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used an athaya 702 crown and tube on mine. First of all the athaya crown won't fit the tube that's for sure! In my case I had to retap the case with an M3 x 0.35 tap. I heard some people where able to fit the athaya tube without retapping. On my 3 cartel cases I had to retap them all. Very easy task tho. Let us see your build

Great info Sputim.

I already have a 3x0.35 tool and already did this in the past so I am confident.

Eventually the most difficult part is the conic part where the tube go against the case (unless it will be a non conic tube).

Last 3 questions: did you got the tube from Athaya too? And which kind of money are we speaking about for a crown/tube set? I have looked at Yuki and they want quite big money for the brevet one... Finally: diameter of the stem for the Athaya? Normally the stems are 0.9mm (=Tap10) but I remember I have read somewhere Athaya uses the 1.2mm (tap7).

Thanks again!

On the athaya 702 crown a standard eta stem fits without adapter. The tube and crown is 35 bucks shipped which is a bargain regarding this quality. Yup the tube is conic so you need to countersink the case a little bit. Didn't do it myself so far but I have ordered the tool to do so.

Great info Sputim.

I already have a 3x0.35 tool and already did this in the past so I am confident.

Eventually the most difficult part is the conic part where the tube go against the case (unless it will be a non conic tube).

Last 3 questions: did you got the tube from Athaya too? And which kind of money are we speaking about for a crown/tube set? I have looked at Yuki and they want quite big money for the brevet one... Finally: diameter of the stem for the Athaya? Normally the stems are 0.9mm (=Tap10) but I remember I have read somewhere Athaya uses the 1.2mm (tap7).

Thanks again!

I think you are thinking of the Athaya 8mm Brevet crown using a larger stem. Athaya will include a stem adapter for you when you order that one for a big crown build. Just ask him for the adapter. It is only a couple bucks more.

Are these JK factory watches the new Cartel pieces? I've seen them referred to as Cartel, and then also JK factory. I'm just wondering if they are the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think you are thinking of the Athaya 8mm Brevet crown using a larger stem. Athaya will include a stem adapter for you when you order that one for a big crown build. Just ask him for the adapter. It is only a couple bucks more.

Are these JK factory watches the new Cartel pieces? I've seen them referred to as Cartel, and then also JK factory. I'm just wondering if they are the same thing.

Yes jk and cartel is the exact same thing. You can order them also from other dealers and not only from "cartel"

12 minutes ago, Mendota Explorer said:

If you want one cheap, I already have the Athaya 8mm Brevet crown, tube and adapter. I'll ship it CON-US for next to nothing.

I did the countersink thing when I put a new tube and crown on my old MBW 1665. I just used a drill bit big enough to approximate the cone angle, and did it handheld with my DeWalt drill. Easy peasy, but go slow. And you still want to use thread sealant and o-rings everywhere.

I did the countersink thing when I put a new tube and crown on my old MBW 1665. I just used a drill bit big enough to approximate the cone angle, and did it handheld with my DeWalt drill. Easy peasy, but go slow. And you still want to use thread sealant and o-rings everywhere.

Yeah Nanuk I thought I will use the same process, probably with my column drill to perfectly control the advancement.