When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has Rolex Taken The "back Seat" In The Rep World?

By-Tor

had a gen Rolex and people still thought it was a rep.

Hi Hank,, I have heard this here a lot. Really?? Or maybe it is just us that we think people think that it is a rep if they see Rolex. I have never felt this way arround friends or colleagues at work. hhhmmmm,,,anyways, I am think of unloading most of my Rolexes this year anyway.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree... I'm about finished with Rolex as well... The ones I wanted to build are built for the most part and there are only a few others left that I really want to try my hand at. Otherwise, the crown club is about complete for me, and I'll be looking for other brands to move onto (so I'm hopeful that '07 brings us some neat makes and brands).

Thanks for the kind words, guys. As always they are much appreciated! :blush: I've really put a lot of time and effort into my projects- Many of which have been ongoing for quite a while now. I take a lot of pride in my watches; but even more important to me are the friendships and world class people that these watches (and RWG) have allowed me to meet.

So much more than just a watch? Yes... I'd say so :) No matter what's printed on the dial...

Best,

Randy

I think that the style of Rolex which once stood for stability is now turning stagnant,... If Rolex would

take a chance, and come out with something bold, unusual but still Rolex,.. the gears would start to churn again...

I agree. I think the reason Rolex reps are a third or fourth choice on every seasoned rep collector's list of "gottahaves" is that Rolex itself is a stale company with decade old designs mired in the 1970's. Just flip through the pages of Watch Time magazine and count how many times you are stopped in your tracks by the advertisements for new and incredible pieces and notice how the Rolex ads and watches seem so ordinary and run of the mill. Sure, they sell every watch they make but to whom? Dispite our reputation in the genuine collector world, I think we're a pretty discerning bunch and are just as tuned into trends and the sexiness of design as anyone. I think no one cares much for Rolex around here because of the styles of the genuines, not the quality of the replicas.

The funny thing is we now see the rep maufacturers have access to the technology to make movements which will allow proper dial spacing and case sizing. I suspect that we will only see a really good contemporary Rolex rep if Rolex wakes up and makes a new model. Then the suppliers will have the incentive to make a custom movement to fit in a proper sized case, etc. I have read that the ante for a really good 1:1 rep is a 1,000 pieces or more. Who would take that risk on a model that has been in the market for years. I also always wonder whether Rolex does a good job of scaring away some of the high end factories. They appear to be the only ones who really go after folks. Why incur the expense or risk. If I were a factory I would not incur the risk for an oversold model. Well, maybe Rolex will wake up and do something original. That is is how we are going to get a really good rolex rep. :D So it's all Rolex's fault. It's an interesting strategy. Spend nothing on R&D or design and people still buy them. :bangin:

I agree. I think the reason Rolex reps are a third or fourth choice on every seasoned rep collector's list of "gottahaves" is that Rolex itself is a stale company with decade old designs mired in the 1970's. Just flip through the pages of Watch Time magazine and count how many times you are stopped in your tracks by the advertisements for new and incredible pieces and notice how the Rolex ads and watches seem so ordinary and run of the mill. Sure, they sell every watch they make but to whom? Dispite our reputation in the genuine collector world, I think we're a pretty discerning bunch and are just as tuned into trends and the sexiness of design as anyone. I think no one cares much for Rolex around here because of the styles of the genuines, not the quality of the replicas.

Everything goes in cycles, including replica watch collecting. When I first started collecting reps several years ago, the big thing was Audemars Piquet. I never like the AP watches anyway, and that fad soon ebbed. Then Panerai mania started, but I have noticed that it too has ebbed a bit. Now Rolex, Omega and Breitling are a different story. There has always been a steady interest in these brands from rep collectors who know what they're doing. Omega's latest PO models are being repped to near perfection. My EL Breitling Bentley is so close to perfect that the guy at Tourneau didn't figure it out even after I took off the watch and handed it to him to examine. Rolex is pretty darn good, despite the rumblings of some of the more cantakeous members of this forum. I just ordered at TT GMT Master II from Sash and am awaiting reciept. I suspect I will be satisfied. If Rolex has taken a back seat, it's becuase the newer, younger rep collectors didn't grow up in a time when Rolex was the king of luxury watches. Let's face it--Rolex is a stale brand for old guys. It's still a great watch, be it real or rep. Just stale.

My hope is that some factory in China will figure out that repping a the Sub to perfection a la Breitling or Omega PO will be a profitable undertaking. Then Rolex will be all the rage again.

Rolex styles are for the most part, very conservative (save for their iced and bling'd pieces); that said, they do not follow the majority of fashion or other trends as some other brands might. Instead, they continue forth with a clear, concise brand identity with designs that stand the course of time (and are unmistakably Rolex).

While their designs may be rather staid, their technical innovations are not. As a true manufacturer (i.e. one that produces 99%+ of their watches and all components in house) Rolex is one of the few brands at the leading edge of new innovative development (the number of patents that they file for per year is proof of that). Take their in-house developed 4130 Daytona caliber for example (superceding the Legendary El Primero 400). This is a movement that has been engineered with efficiency in mind- In terms of production, layout, serviceability, function, etc. it is clearly innovative thinking that brought this caliber to fruition. Layout of this movement is such that winding and chronograph functions are under their own respective bridges, hence dividing the functions for easier servicing I believe). The balance has it's own bridge (not [censored]) for better stability, and the vertical clutch for the seconds hand eliminates that little seconds jump that we are all typically accustomed to when starting the stopwatch function on most watches. All this in an efficient sized 30.5mm x 6.5mm movement with 72 hours of power reserve running at COSC spec.

Rolex's advancements and improvements are not so much on the outside where all can see; rather, they are hidden under a closed caseback. So... What are you buying with a Rolex? Mostly a name with worldwide recognition... But you also get a timepiece that does it's job well :)

Rolex's advancements and improvements are not so much on the outside where all can see; rather, they are hidden under a closed caseback. So... What are you buying with a Rolex? Mostly a name with worldwide recognition... But you also get a timepiece that does it's job well :)

Couldn't agree more Randy. However, IMO it is also true that whilst innovation for efficiency's sake is commendable (as with Omega's co-axial escapement), there are people out there who are innovating with elegance, beauty and a touch of genius. And we're not talking high-end brands with grande complications like UN, VC etc. Tag Heuer (a brand many here sneer at as "mall jewellery store" watches) is one example - their recent concept movements (Monaco V4, Carrera c.360/L) are truly astonishing in their ingenuity.

Personally, and as others have stated, as soon as my vintage Rolex collection is complete (in my mind not the pedantic collector mindset) this year, I'll be done...for good. The direction Rolex have taken recently when recognising the need to innovate in terms of external design, is one that quite frankly is embarrassing and a turn-off to most of us who appreciate elegance and style. Bling for bling's sake seems to be the ethos. Whhhiirrrrrrrrr.........that's the sound of Hans Wilsdorf spinning in his grave, most likely.

Can't deny that others are just as clever, or even more so in terms of technical development- There are many out there who are redefining the world of horology (i.e. the TAG V4, etc). Personally I feel that a lot of people overlook the fact that Rolex has been very creative in terms of what's under the casebacks of their watches; that was my reasoning for the above post.

And don't even get me started with the MBW's. I know it's bit of a "taboo" here due to their large fan base (I'm a fan too)... but let's be straight here: You need to buy grossly overpriced rep which is very inaccurate in "out of the box" condition. Then you need to invest significant amount of extra money to buy genuine parts (change almost everything) and on top of that find a skillful modder to make this very simple and basic diver watch to look even remotely right.

Right, but where is the fun in buying a rep watch and then simply . . . . wearing it???? :scratch:

Rolex styles are for the most part, very conservative (save for their iced and bling'd pieces); that said, they do not follow the majority of fashion or other trends as some other brands might. Instead, they continue forth with a clear, concise brand identity with designs that stand the course of time (and are unmistakably Rolex).

While their designs may be rather staid, their technical innovations are not. As a true manufacturer (i.e. one that produces 99%+ of their watches and all components in house) Rolex is one of the few brands at the leading edge of new innovative development (the number of patents that they file for per year is proof of that). Take their in-house developed 4130 Daytona caliber for example (superceding the Legendary El Primero 400). This is a movement that has been engineered with efficiency in mind- In terms of production, layout, serviceability, function, etc. it is clearly innovative thinking that brought this caliber to fruition. Layout of this movement is such that winding and chronograph functions are under their own respective bridges, hence dividing the functions for easier servicing I believe). The balance has it's own bridge (not [censored]) for better stability, and the vertical clutch for the seconds hand eliminates that little seconds jump that we are all typically accustomed to when starting the stopwatch function on most watches. All this in an efficient sized 30.5mm x 6.5mm movement with 72 hours of power reserve running at COSC spec.

Great read and true .... However all path building, at least for the mechanical watch, which is how Rolex made their

mark, from the highest mountains, the deepest oceans, temperatures from sub zero to desert heat,.....have been paved long ago,..

What remains is simply time-keeping,...and though I can appreciate their mechaincal innovations, they go way over the head

of the vast majority of the watch buying public,..who crave first a name, then style, followed by reliability &

a sensible price tag.

So in a world where the mechaincal watch is under attack by time itself,... where electronics are clearly the future,..

the question is,.. will Rolex's steadfast course, carry them into smooth water, or onto the rocks of break up ?

I suspect the latter is true,... as the last generation that knows what the name of Rolex stands for,..

of which by the way, I am one,. gets old and dies away,.. the next in line, who value style and function

over historical ad campaigns and mechanical jargon, that though unique and beautiful,.. falls far short of it's

electronic offspring who will one day deliver live, high def pictures and live sound, instant communication,..

and atomic time keeping as it's most basic function.. thus the mechanical watches which will survive this onslaught,

escaping the museum, if only for a time,..are now sailing different courses combining bold new style with function... ^_^

I don't mind . . . it's actually fairly depressing to wear a fake (modern I should stress) Rolex, it doesn't say anything flattering about the wearer to do so. I'm not sure better quality really changes anything. I own 4 rep Rolexes (YM, Sub, DJ, Exp I) as well as two gen Rolexes (DJ, Exp II) so I'm not knocking fake or gen Rolexes, I just feel like you when you wear a gen, you feel slightly like a poser who bought the most obvious watch, and if you wear a fake you feel strongly like a poser who bought the most obvious fake watch. A watch-loving man can live a long and happy life without having anything to do with either of them. When it comes to reps the IWC's, Pams and Breitlings, etc. are where it's at, and I can't say I mind at all. Those are much more interesting anyway.

The sports Oyster line hasn't lost its appeal for me at all, these watches are just as great as ever. But like docblackrock stated the new "supreme bling" approach they have chosen (that was clearly visible in Basel) was utterly embarrassing. Instead of improving their great Oyster line (which is Rolex for most WIS) they only concentrate on making laughable pimp watches for tasteless, superrich transvestites. Leopard Daytona was the final testament to that.

They also put a lot of effort to design the new, unattractive Cellini line. Many of those watches have cheap quartz movements inside. Meanwhile their most faithful customers have begged for a clasp that doesn't feel like it's from a $30 watch for $5K Submariner and GMT Master... for decades.

If we again take a comparison from the car world... would Mercedes bring a pink 600SL with chicken yellow wheels and golden steering wheel & pedals to the annual Frankfurt car show... and present it as their flagship model? Yes... there are some tasteless "specially tuned" Mercedes cars... customers can ruin their cars just as they want of course... but the factory would never ruin their prestige, style, legacy and reputation by doing something like that "officially".

True, Rolex movements are proven to be reliable and sturdy. But then again so are Miyotas for 1/100 of the price. There are automatic Seikos that are decades old. Horologically they're good, approved and many times proven inhouse movements, but nothing that impressive, really.

But in the end of the day I don't think any of this stuff affects their sales. It can affect negatively in their image inside the WIS circles though. But I guess WIS make about 0,5 percent of their total sales anyway. My father buys Rolex (and only Rolex) because for him it's the only real luxury watch brand in the world. So they're definitely doing something right.

"It takes a year to build Rolex" etc. :lol:

I'm not knocking fake or gen Rolexes, I just feel like you when you wear a gen, you feel slightly like a poser who bought the most obvious watch, and if you wear a fake you feel strongly like a poser who bought the most obvious fake watch. A watch-loving man can live a long and happy life without having anything to do with either of them.

Excellent analysis. My thoughts exactly.

You are absolut right By-Tor....

I'm a Rolex Lover,but there is no Rep Model at the moment,that i want to Buy....

Too many flaws at all...

I own a fully modded MBW SD,Sub 1680,,Sub 16610 and a GMT-II with this shitty Dial...

Some Other Rolexreps that i never have on my wrist..

I've heard some month ago,about a 1to1 casing modern Seadweller....

But no dealer has one,this [censored] me up....

There so much beauyfull near 1 to 1 modells of other bnrands out there....

Why not a 1to1 Sub,SD,etc???

I can't understand it... :thumbdown:

Edited by Tribal

When I was thirteen I bought a really cheap ROLEX replica in New York :rolleyes: it was a gift for my dad but it had lost of issues......since then I have never bought a single ROLEX replica. Now I have toons of replicas but not a single ROLEX among them. I am just not a ROLEX fan and I guess I never really was.

Every Rolex watch I've wanted I ended up building...

DW Daytona with Swiss Valjoux23 transplanted

180087-7505.jpg

Franken-Daytona (white)

180087-7506.jpg

Franken-Daytona (black)

180087-7507.jpg

Franken-16610

180087-7508.jpg

Modded MBW's

180087-7509.jpg

1680s

180087-7510.jpg

180087-7511.jpg

180087-7512.jpg

Others that were built but traded or given away...

Franken 16234

180087-7513.jpg

Tudor 7928

180087-7514.jpg

DWs...

180087-7515.jpg

180087-7516.jpg

180087-7517.jpg

Personally, I don't mind the inaccuracies as it alows me to build :) Half the fun for me is tracking down gen parts ;) The other half is watching a creation take shape...

ubi... we need you as new rolex dealer :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The #2 and #3 best-selling watches from Joshua (perfect-clones) are Rolex.

The #1 best-selling watch from trustytime is Rolex.

The #1, #2, #3, #4 best-selling watches from wo-mart are Rolex.

Do you see a trend here?

I would have to disagree with the original message. Rolex replicas are very popular, and the #1 spot was taken away from them on perfect-clones simply because of the introduction and surprising appeal of Bell and Ross. Once the Bell & Ross frenzy dies down, you'll see them regain their #1 position yet again.

@corgi: Sure the Rolex reps sell.

First: I'm sure the overall sales of Perfect Clones and Trustytime doesn't come from this forum entirely. Second... we get lots of newbies who aren't really interested in watches in a larger scale. They're just looking to buy their quick "status symbol" rep Sub to impress their workmates with... and disappear.

But Rolex reps aren't very accurate reps... and they're not selling that much among the seasoned members anymore... or generate much interest. Only about a year ago almost half of the traffic was about Rolex. That was the point of the initial post, not questioning the popularity of Rolex generally. Even the crap rep Rolexes sell quite well... and that might be one the exact reasons why they don't improve.

It is disappointing that Rolex reps are so sub-par compared to the latest Omega, TAG, etc reps. What's most frustrating is the lack of a reasonably priced 1:1 case and dial. Nearly everything else on the watch can be sourced without ridiculous effort and without obscene cost, but gen cases and dials are expensive.

I'm really excited about the 1665 I'm working on, but I'll easily have $2000 into it by the time it is all done. I'm sure most of the other heavy modders/franken builders (ubi, cough) are spending similar amounts.

Given the number of scam sellers that get $1000+ every day for $200 reps, I don't believe for a second that there isn't a market for a $1500 "perfect" rep (although, I think it could be done for much less than that).

I don't claim to know the business and political dynamics within this industry in China, but I do wonder what it would take to buy, for example, a gen 16600, take it to a small rep factory, and have them do a complete 1:1 copy with a guaranteed initial order of say, 100 pieces at $400. The dealers could sell them for $750, and I bet they'd sell out in a month.

Just rambling, I guess.

@corgi: Sure the Rolex reps sell.

First: I'm sure the overall sales of Perfect Clones and Trustytime doesn't come from this forum entirely. Second... we get lots of newbies who aren't really interested in watches in a larger scale. They're just looking to buy their quick "status symbol" rep Sub to impress their workmates with... and disappear.

But Rolex reps aren't very accurate reps... and they're not selling that much among the seasoned members anymore... or generate much interest. Only about a year ago almost half of the traffic was about Rolex. That was the point of the initial post, not questioning the popularity of Rolex generally. Even the crap rep Rolexes sell quite well... and that might be one the exact reasons why they don't improve.

Agree totally,... most newbies, know nothing but Rolex,.. but learn as they go, via sites like this one,..

When I came in a few years ago,.. I had owned a few genuine Rollies & an Omega or two and knew the names

of some famous brands,..thus my first rep purchases were three Rolex and one Omega,..

Soon after full immersion into this world however,.. a huge variety of brands opened up to me,.. and with them

my knowledge expanded so far past what ever it could, in the genuine world, to the point where I can see

Rolex in perspective....and that view, now places them on the bottom rung of a ladder that I have climbed into

replica heaven.... :D

So, After all this chit-chat, what can be done?

Sifting through all the posts you can clearly see that most are disappointed in the quality of the present models... and are sad to see some no longer available...

Who or What are the influences to the manufacturers?!?!

How do we begin a 1:1 for some models?!?! Or even ONE model???

Its happening now with so many models now, why cant we just get a case, bezel, and bracelet re-vamped?!?!

Hell, I keep reading about how everyone wants a Modern Seadweller... why not start there since there has NEVER been a CORRECT version on this earth (besides gen)

Its also confusing that there are SO MANY movements out there that have been replicated... how is this not the same for the 1570 or 3135 movement???

Is there something (as a community of anal collectors) we can do???

I just want to put this topic to bed... IT WONT GO AWAY!!!

Comments?

PP