When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Sub V6: Rotor Unwinding Issue

uhlster

Good day all,

I have had a TC Sub V6 for about three years and have loved every minute of ownership. It is actually the most accurate mechanical watch I own, but over the past few months I have noticed quite the issue: it stopped gaining power reserve during daily wear, and I occasionally feel the rotor unwinding with force (vibrates my wrist). Also if I rotate the watch to get the rotor to wind, after a few rotations and placing it flat- the rotor spins the opposite direction quite obviously.

Is the problem associated with the reversing wheels? Or the anti-reversing gear?. Bad or dirty? I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same problem. I couldn't find much via search, and I dont know who to contact about TC Subs as it seems his blog is no longer active. I haven't had this issue before with any automatic watch. The movement is a TC 2824 aka ETA 2824-2 clone.

Recommendations? In my opinion, if it is too complicated or risky to fix, I can still hand wind the watch manually every two days or so, but this kinda stinks. :|

Many thanks,
Uhlster

TC has stopped his blog. Speculation is that it is because he has started selling his own brand watches or because having a blog makes him too obvious a target for legal action. Neither are absolutely proved. In the meantime he can be reached by PM. Alternatively there are a number of CONUS based watchsmiths within the forum who could doubtless rectify this issue. 

In truth it is maybe due for a service strip down about now anyway.

• Like 1

Good day all,

I have had a TC Sub V6 for about three years and have loved every minute of ownership. It is actually the most accurate mechanical watch I own, but over the past few months I have noticed quite the issue: it stopped gaining power reserve during daily wear, and I occasionally feel the rotor unwinding with force (vibrates my wrist). Also if I rotate the watch to get the rotor to wind, after a few rotations and placing it flat- the rotor spins the opposite direction quite obviously.

Is the problem associated with the reversing wheels? Or the anti-reversing gear?. Bad or dirty? I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same problem. I couldn't find much via search, and I dont know who to contact about TC Subs as it seems his blog is no longer active. I haven't had this issue before with any automatic watch. The movement is a TC 2824 aka ETA 2824-2 clone.

Recommendations? In my opinion, if it is too complicated or risky to fix, I can still hand wind the watch manually every two days or so, but this kinda stinks. :|

Many thanks,
Uhlster

I had issues with three of those TC movements that required some smithing. Reversing wheels and driving pinions and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmm the 28XX series movements have this problem from time to time. I had it happen to a Swiss 2824 in one of my watches. its usually because of dirt or excessive lubrication on the reversing gears. It should still wind the mainspring but the spinning from the rotor isn't actually unwinding the mainspring. Well from my experience it hasn't.

A sticky reverser usually results in 'rotor spin' when hand winding.  Sounds like you are having 'rotor spin' from power coming from the mainspring (if I understand the problem correctly).

The 2824/36 is basically a manual wind 2801 with an auto device stuck on top so if the mainspring is unwinding, something is allowing the MS barrel to turn backwards. 

The reversers on an Eta 28xx do not prevent the mainspring from unwinding...the 'click' does and it is mounted next to the crown wheel.  The rotor is spinning because mainspring power is getting back to the auto wind assembly.

Check the click and click spring to make sure they are working properly to lock the crown wheel and keep the mainspring from unwinding...hand wind the watch slowly and see if the click locks into the teeth on the crown wheel every time the wheel moves (and when hand winding pressure is taken off of the winding crown).  Also make sure the crown wheel is free on its post.  If it sticks on the post, the mainspring can unwind because the two wheels are not in mesh (you will not feel this...no 'rotor spin', just a slight screeching noise from the MS barrel unwinding).  If the crown wheel post gets badly worn it may not hold the crown wheel in the correct position and this can also cause problems.

Some reverser info:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/lubricating-reversing-wheels-eta-2836-2-a-3600882.html

• Like 1