When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

America, Here I Come...

TwoTone

181536-7172.jpg Adios! Becks Heads For LA

Updated: 18:40, Thursday January 11, 2007

David Beckham says he is leaving Real Madrid to sign for LA Galaxy.

The former England captain will leave the Spanish club at the end of the season and sign a five-year deal for the US side, believed to be worth £128m.

Beckham said: "This week Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract for a further two seasons."

"After discussing several options with my family and my advisors to either stay here in Madrid or join other major British and European teams I have decided to join LA Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year."

The 31-year-old, who joined Real from Manchester United in June 2003, is the most famous player to sign up for Major League Soccer since it began in 1996.

Daily Telegraph sports writer Chris Davies told Sky News: "The LA lifestyle would suit Posh but (for a player) it's an elephant's graveyard.

"If you go there you might as well sign off and claim your pension."

Real Madrid had earlier confirmed that a new two-year contract was still on the table despite confusion over remarks on Wednesday by sporting director Predrag Mijatovi which suggested Beckham would be leaving.

Beckham has consistently been linked with a move to the US.

But he insisted he was not going just for the money, but to make a difference in American sport.

He already has a football school in Los Angeles.

"Soccer is huge everywhere around the world, except in America," he said.

"That's where I want to make a difference with the kids."

The 31-year-old midfielder has been forced into a bit-part role this season and is desperate not to spend much of the remaining years of his playing career on the sidelines.

Good for Beckham I think..

The risk of going back to England and flopping in West Ham or wherever is not worth it IMO.

Still it's a bit sad that we won't see him as much.

I still consider him one of the best right wingers of 'my' generation.

He'll be all the rage in LA if he can start performing again, and his sponsorship deals will go through the roof.

Looks like he's setting himself up for a comfy pensions fund. :)

Good Luck David!

That's just insane. I mean... he's a decent player but he's not like Pelé or Maradona.

they are paying the marketing value of the brand name "BECKHAM"...no doubt that he cannot be compared to pele or maradona...but in terms of $$$ that he makes his own club cash in..he is more than 100 times worth the pele or maradona from the past years...new century...new values...

they are paying the marketing value of the brand name "BECKHAM"...no doubt that he cannot be compared to pele or maradona...but in terms of $$$ that he makes his own club cash in..he is more than 100 times worth the pele or maradona from the past years...new century...new values...

Yeah, I guess you're right. It's all about money and marketing these days. People have cash register where their heart ought to be.

He's doing what anyone would do. In the twilight of his career and way past his best he's taking the golden shilling that someone is mug enough to offer him.

America is like that........for years they've thrown money at the games old codgers enticing them "over" in the vain hope that the game will kick off as a result of it.

When they start signing up the current talent (unlikely) I'll start worrying.

JTB

That's just insane. I mean... he's a decent player but he's not like Pelé or Maradona.

No doubt about it, at his best, he's god-like, but this isn't about his playing. He's hired to make the world turn and look at the US. It's an attempt at giving MLS credibility which, let's face it, it doesn't have.

I doubt he'll find the playing challenging and the competition he'll get will be really poor which will give him the boost in confidence he needs to play well. Does anyone remember George Best? Supposedly the best footballer ever. He went to the US in his declining years and made a difference.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered." - George Best.

Does anyone remember George Best? Supposedly the best footballer ever.

Uh huh... that's a bold statement. Or was it a pun (Best->best). George Best was one of the greats... I'd rank him along with Cruyff and the likes... but better than these two? :blink:

181635-7111.jpg

181635-7112.jpg

Mr. Posh Spice is a very lucky man indeed. What sport does he play again? Oh... Soccer? I've heard of that. Americans are too lazy in the brain to accept another sport.. football and net ball aka basketball. That's it.. game over.

Uh huh... that's a bold statement. Or was it a pun (Best->best). George Best was one of the greats... I'd rank him along with Cruyff and the likes... but better than these two? :blink:

Well, if you ask those two, they say yes.

Yes, both Pele and Maradonna said Best was the greatest footballer in the world.

My favorite part of the Beckham announcement was when he said he wasn't doing it for the money but for the kids and to help make soccer more popular in America.

They should toss in a Nobel Peace Prize for his altruistic motivation.

Just repeat, "it's not about the money, it's not about the money, it's not about the money...."

at the risk of offending some people, the overwhelming majority of Americans don't follow soccer any further than their 6 yr olds saturday game. This is really a non-event. I would rather see more of whats-his-names wife.

Thom

So are you an American Football fan? To be honest, I think Am football is boring, because it has WAY too many breaks. If it was like Rugby, I'd watch it. But every 5 seonds they stop for 1 minute and ... i dont know, its just boring! its only exciting whenever someone scores a real good touchdown

Gee, you think those are real :whistling:

the skin is real!

So are you an American Football fan? To be honest, I think Am football is boring, because it has WAY too many breaks. If it was like Rugby, I'd watch it. But every 5 seonds they stop for 1 minute and ... i dont know, its just boring! its only exciting whenever someone scores a real good touchdown

no not really. I guess the rest of your statement then is irrelevent.

Beckham Won't Play Again for Real Madrid

Jan 13 1:26 PM US/Eastern

MADRID, Spain (AP) -- David Beckham won't play again for Real Madrid after announcing his departure at the end of the season for the Los Angeles Galaxy of the MLS. "He is not going to play any more. He will practice, but he is not going to play," coach Fabio Capello said Saturday at a news conference.

Beckham announced this week he will not extend his contract with Real Madrid when it expires in June and is instead leaving for the Galaxy and a five-year deal.

"The player's decision is to go to Los Angeles. He has always been a great professional, but a player who has such a major contract with another team ... we cannot count on him," Capello said. "I think one cannot have the same drive if one is already with another team."

Beckham's spokesman, Simon Oliveira, said the 31-year-old midfielder would "continue to give his full commitment and professionalism to the club."

"David is surprised at the quotes from Fabio Capello, as nobody from the club has informed him of their intentions," Oliveira said. "As far as David is aware, he has a contract for the remainder of the season and he remains dedicated to the club and its supporters."

Beckham, who joined Madrid from Manchester United in 2003, has said he plans to leave Real Madrid after his contract expires June 30 and to join the Galaxy in August.