When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Signed Up For Moneybookers, But Visa Has Weird Idea's...

RWG Technical

So I signed up for Moneybookers, and they debited my Visa to verify who I was. The total was a couple of dollars...

I check my statement on-line, and there next to the debit from Moneybookers, is a "Cash Advance fee" of $5. I never take any cash advances on my Visa, so I called them (Visa).

The long and short of it is this:

The reason they charged me the $5 cash advance fee, is that in their system (Visa one) Moneybookers is considered and labeled as a GAMBLING money laundering" outfit... ouch....

Well I was a bit shocked to say the least, so I explained that it was the same as PayPal and as she can see on my statement, there are PP charges, but no associated $5 cash advance fees...so why with Moneybookers do they charge me $5.

She said that it was listed as on-line gambling, and when they debited my account (MB), since I was gambling (to the tune of less than $3...) they consider this a cash advance...

I managed to get the $5 refunded, and they will look into it for me (whatever that is worth) and hopefully fix the error.

So what is the deal with MB, and why is it considered gambling?

Anyone have the same problem???

Until I know what is going to happen if I send money to them (MB) I am not going to do anything else...as it stands, I am thinking of having Visa block their access to my account. I dont' like unknowns, especially these types...

Comments,

RG

So I signed up for Moneybookers, and they debited my Visa to verify who I was. The total was a couple of dollars...

I check my statement on-line, and there next to the debit from Moneybookers, is a "Cash Advance fee" of $5. I never take any cash advances on my Visa, so I called them (Visa).

The long and short of it is this:

The reason they charged me the $5 cash advance fee, is that in their system (Visa one) Moneybookers is considered and labeled as a GAMBLING money laundering" outfit... ouch....

Well I was a bit shocked to say the least, so I explained that it was the same as PayPal and as she can see on my statement, there are PP charges, but no associated $5 cash advance fees...so why with Moneybookers do they charge me $5.

She said that it was listed as on-line gambling, and when they debited my account (MB), since I was gambling (to the tune of less than $3...) they consider this a cash advance...

I managed to get the $5 refunded, and they will look into it for me (whatever that is worth) and hopefully fix the error.

So what is the deal with MB, and why is it considered gambling?

Anyone have the same problem???

Until I know what is going to happen if I send money to them (MB) I am not going to do anything else...as it stands, I am thinking of having Visa block their access to my account. I dont' like unknowns, especially these types...

Comments,

RG

As far as i know its possible to use it as a source to credit online gaming accounts in the us so visa in the us ban it.

Yeah this is the catch with MB your credits cards will recognize it as a gambling site as many fund there online gambling from there and MB wont let you load up your account from Paypal as they see it as a competitor and finally if you load it from your bank many will charge as a cash transfer.

Ken

Makes sense...so I guess it's not an option for me...I am not willing to dump $300 from my Visa to MB, only to get tagged with who knows what in service fees from Visa... That puts an end to my rep buying options...sigh...

Can't wait till someone else offers and puts PP out of business, Google have anything in the works to crack the ebay/PP monolopy??

RG

Moneybookers took Euros 750 from me when XKenzo (watchmaster) was dealing in earlier days (about 2 years ago). I sent the money to my moneybookers account. It never showed up and they never responded to emails or phone calls in any satisfying way. Stay away from them (that's at least what I will be doing). I had a total loss of 750 Euros.

Well, as with paypal people have different experiences. I have used Moneybookers for almost 5 years now and never had any problems with them.

I think the problems stem from us over in North America maybe?

Yup... same with firepay and neteller (which I use to fund my actual gambling)... Cash Advance fees (becuase in all fairness you really can cash out cash from these places, so Visa doens't want you cirucmventing their rediculous cash advance fees this way) if you are lucky enough to have them let it happen at all. Many banks (mine noteably) will not let you fund gambling sites at all. It comes from people racking up thousands in losses, then claiming lost or stolen cards to avoid paying their debts.

I too an screwed on MB, which is a shame since it's a decent fee to load and some dealers offer a nice discount for using it.

Googlecheckout would be a sweet way to pay for reps, especially considering they are offering $10 off $30 at lots of stores lately :)