When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sometimes you need something to compare your work against...

Fixing watches is a lonely world, I sit alone and do my work, and once the case back goes on, the craftsmanship and attention to detail is hidden from view...

When I relume a watch, the situation is different, the owner gets to see my work everytime he checks the time. So as I do with the stuff you can't see (but I can see it and that does matter) I take great pride and think I can do a good job for my customers when it comes to lume work.

I have never had the chance to compare my lume work to anyone else's, until tonight. It so happens I just finished an OEM dial in vinatge look, and got a vinatge one in for other work (not relume as it's already been done...ahhhem...). So except for one other time when a detailed picture was posted about lume, this is my first experience.

Well I can say I am quite proud of my workmanship and skills, no words are need from now on, you can see for yourself... I have no idea who did the lume on this one...

Other LUME job

16483-3237.jpg

My Lume job

16483-3238.jpg

Other LUME job

16483-3239.jpg

My Lume job

16483-3240.jpg

Other LUME job

16483-3241.jpg

My Lume job

16483-3242.jpg

Other LUME job

16483-3243.jpg

My Lume job

16483-3244.jpg

Other LUME job

16483-3245.jpg

My Lume job

16483-3246.jpg

I know I have mistakes and imperfections on the one I did, but I think I can say that I do a pretty good job overall...

RG

Edited by ziggyzumba

From my work with dials, I would guess that the top dial was my attempt at relum. Great job, I have messed up with dials just enough to know that I can't imagine doing a dial like yours. I will probably try the re luming some day. The more I work with watches the more I appreciate the skill and years behind those that do it well...great pics,,,,,,,,,thanks for the inspiration..

From my work with dials, I would guess that the top dial was my attempt at relum. Great job, I have messed up with dials just enough to know that I can't imagine doing a dial like yours. I will probably try the re luming some day. The more I work with watches the more I appreciate the skill and years behind those that do it well...great pics,,,,,,,,,thanks for the inspiration..

I agree with you 100%. But, I think "Other LUME job" was my last attempt to relum. :whistling:

Very nice work. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by pitimany

OK....OK.....OK....so you're really really good at re-luming.......( seriously good )......great work Rob....and good pics... :D ..!

Edited by TTK

The Zigmeister, there is no doubt you are incredible at what you do. and very rare.

i just hope one day i'll have a deserving watch, and the funds, to get the The Zigmeister treatment! maybe someday soon if i'm lucky.

frankly, i can't even picture how you do what you do, in the lume department. how?! have someone take pictures of your godly hands at work or something. holy smokes. :yu:

jsph

Thanks for the comments...

Seriously I have no idea who did the work on the other dial, and it really doesn't matter to me. It is nice to be able to have something to compare yourself against, as I tend to be a bit anal (ok a lot anal) and am disapointed when I see the small imperfections on my dial...but from now on, I think I will be a bit easier on myself...

Have a great weekend, I wont' be back till sunday night...

RG

I had a similar experience with another member who sent me a watch that he had tried to re-lume as well with even worse results - luckily it was a sandwich dial and I was just about able to rescue it (it really was a mess).

For anyone thinking of doing this take note - it is not easy at all, even though it does not look like there is much to it. Tritec makes at least 5 different binders/varnishes to suit different techniques and styles so it's not just a case of mixing it and painting it on. When you have done a 196 (as The Zigmeister has also done many of) you begin to see how really hard this is work is when you are dealing in .5 mm You would not believe the intense concentration needed (I sometimes get muscle spasms as a result), I think I remember Paplatine once saying he would never do another 196, and it certainly separates the men from the boys - so to speak!!

It may be helpful to remind / or inform members that ZZ's other hobby is highly detailed oil paintings, usually of airplanes.

ZZ's skills come from years of holding a brush, and more recently applying those same fine motor skills to watches. Lots of people have the skills to do fine detail work, fewer still are capable of such artwork.

I have a lot of respect for ZZ and also fully respect the other talented people that willingly admit that reluming is not for them.

RSM = Regimental Sergeant Major, A title for a senior Warrant Officer Class 1 and is the highest non commissioned rank for a soldier (A fully Comissioned Officer is the next step) just in case anyone was wondering.

Yes of course.

Just watched a fascinating program on the telly about Windsor Castle and HM The Queen.

The chief butt-kicker in the whole operation at Windsor Castle was the RSM of the Welsh Guards who was very professional and very impressive in every way.

The RSM's are far more rare than comissioned officers and far more valuable to the Army than most other officers.