When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Short Review: Chrono Po

Jason

When this watch first came out I tried it on the AD, and if it would have been priced closer to the SMP Chrono price I would have had the gen.

I would have thought this would have been a hugely popular rep but I have only seen a few reviews. Although it may not be quite as exact as the Ultimate PO this is still a great rep. The tell tail sign as has been stated before is the subdial spacing. But realistically it is the size of the 3,6,9 due to this spacing that really give it away. But honestly unless it was sitting next to a gen, or you specifically new about this issue you would never pick this up.

Some other small issues are that the pearl is slightly off center just like the regular PO, and the AR is not as good as the gen.

This watch looks smaller than a 44mm PAM but on the wrist it feels substantial. This is by far my heaviest watch, but it is still quite comfortable. One problem is due to the thickness of this version (much thicker than non-chrono version) it does not fit under a sleeve, but makes a great watch for the weekend or with a golf shirt.

If you are a big PO fan this is a must.

Not a full review but here are some pics.

Thanks for posting this pictorial Jason. Appreciated. I'll add this to my Omega Guide.

I think the PO chrono is partly a victim of the "new era" reps like TAG Link Chronograph, SMP Chrono and the new Navitimers, which are very accurate... and have perfect spacing because they're based on 7750-powered gens. What people don't realize is that we currently don't have a rep movement to forge watches like the Speedmaster, PO Chrono or El Primero Daytona spacing properly.

I'm sure both dealers and members overestimated the sales potential of the PO Chrono. Year ago it would have sold like hotcakes, but suddenly the subdial spacing was something that members simply couldn't get over with. This probably means that we'll never see reps of some new desirable chronograph watches (like Ebel 1911 BTR). If they don't sell they won't make 'em. Members are insanely demanding these days... even with obscure watch models. Sometimes I feel it's taking part of the fun away of this hobby.

Personally I couldn't care LESS about the subdial spacing on a watch like PO Chrono. It's quite rare watch, and the odds getting "called out" are laughably small... I'd say nonexistant. I also have the same philosophy: If I see a great looking watch, I'll buy it and enjoy it... and don't really care what other people think. Rep collecting should not be just obsessive nitpicking.

Enjoy your fine watch.

PS: My good friend Demsey also bought this rep. Have you read his observations yet?

http://www.replicacollector.com/members/in...showtopic=27999

this looks like a great watch but the spacing is too far off and the numerals too small...... i wonder about a genuine movement and dial swap. for aprox $1000usd you would have a killer watch!

thanks for posting the review i keep going back and forth on this one.

Not a bad idea, but for that money I could get 4 more watches.

Although this one isn't "perfect" like some of the new reps it is still fantastic and unless your sitting next to someone wearing the gen you won't be called out. I was afraid the spacing would bug me but so far I am satisfied.

Thanks for posting this pictorial Jason. Appreciated. I'll add this to my Omega Guide.

I think the PO chrono is partly a victim of the "new era" reps like TAG Link Chronograph, SMP Chrono and the new Navitimers, which are very accurate... and have perfect spacing because they're based on 7750-powered gens. What people don't realize is that we currently don't have a rep movement to forge watches like the Speedmaster, PO Chrono or El Primero Daytona spacing properly.

I'm sure both dealers and members overestimated the sales potential of the PO Chrono. Year ago it would have sold like hotcakes, but suddenly the subdial spacing was something that members simply couldn't get over with. This probably means that we'll never see reps of some new desirable chronograph watches (like Ebel 1911 BTR). If they don't sell they won't make 'em. Members are insanely demanding these days... even with obscure watch models. Sometimes I feel it's taking part of the fun away of this hobby.

Personally I couldn't care LESS about the subdial spacing on a watch like PO Chrono. It's quite rare watch, and the odds getting "called out" are laughably small... I'd say nonexistant. I also have the same philosophy: If I see a great looking watch, I'll buy it and enjoy it... and don't really care what other people think. Rep collecting should not be just obsessive nitpicking.

Enjoy your fine watch.

PS: My good friend Demsey also bought this rep. Have you read his observations yet?

http://www.replicacollector.com/members/in...showtopic=27999

Dempsey's original review did sway me to this watch especially after I tried on the gen SMP Chrono and PO back to back this is such a bold yet sporty watch.

Generally I agree with you By-Tor, but I've got to go the other way on this one. Stuff like subdial spacing is a personal preference and if you can live with it that's fine (I have the Venus movement moonwatch for example, and I like it), but that doesn't mean people who don't find such discrepancies acceptable are being unreasonable -- with so many accurate chronos they don't have to settle for such things if they don't want to. And it's their money.

Remember, the only rules in rep collecting are 1) buy what you like; 2) don't pay more than you should. Beyond that I think we should respect each other's preferences without being condescending or judgmental. Besides, IMO criticizing and demanding better, as long as you put your money where your mouth is as the members of this board are wont to do, helps move the ball. So I thank the freespending obsessive nitpickers, they are responsible for the current golden age of reps.

Generally I agree with you By-Tor, but I've got to go the other way on this one. Stuff like subdial spacing is a personal preference and if you can live with it that's fine (I have the Venus movement moonwatch for example, and I like it), but that doesn't mean people who don't find such discrepancies acceptable are being unreasonable -- with so many accurate chronos they don't have to settle for such things if they don't want to. And it's their money.

Remember, the only rules in rep collecting are 1) buy what you like; 2) don't pay more than you should. Beyond that I think we should respect each other's preferences without being condescending or judgmental. Besides, IMO criticizing and demanding better, as long as you put your money where your mouth is as the members of this board are wont to do, helps move the ball. So I thank the freespending obsessive nitpickers, they are responsible for the current golden age of reps.

I'm not judgmental. I said personally.

I'm a sucker for very accurate reps just as much as anyone... getting very accurate reps is a thrill... but we simply have no technical facility to forge the spacing for watches like Lemania Moon Watch or PO Chrono. I feel quality reps with wrong spacing is MUCH better option than having no reps of these watches at all. I completely understand that people complain about details like Submariner crown guards, but why complain about things that are impossible to "fix"? I don't see the wrong spacing on these watches as a "flaw", I see it as a restriction in current technology.

Like I said, I would really like to see good quality 7750-based reps (or heck, even Seagull/Venus version) of watches like Zenith El Primero, TAG Link Calibre 36 and Ebel BTR, and I suggested these watches when RT did those polls. But these suggestions got generally hammered because "the spacing would be wrong".

We have discussed this before... yes... Moon Watch is one of the most famous chronograph watches in the world. The wrong spacing bothers me a bit and that's probably the only reason why I haven't purchased the (otherwise impressive) rep yet. Daytona and Navitimer are very well known models too... but for Christ's sakes... it would be a freakin' miracle to find someone who recognizes a Ebel at all. I would love to have a rep of that watch, just for my own enjoyement. But if the feedback and buyer's response to reps like PO chrono is very negative, the makers could stop producing them. The better scenario would be, of course, that the factories took the technical challenge and developed a new movement... that'd make the tighter spacing possible. But somehow I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

I appreciate people's opinion who see the wrong spacing as a "deal killer". But I think it works two ways. They shouldn't force feed this attitude to people who see things differently (or don't care). Me... I'm probably somewhere in the middle. I can enjoy the super accurate reps... or even complete fantasy watches. :)

People buy reps for different reasons. We actually did a poll of this in the old RWG and I recall 70-75 percent of voters said that "they never, ever pose their reps as genuines". Yet these same people are often extremely obsessive about details like this. I have always found that equation a bit confusing.

Yet another great rep that I'd have bought long ago were it not for the recessed date. Nothing screams "rep" like that stupid recessed date. How many gens do you see with a recessed date like that?

There's time and place for all constructive criticism, but how about letting the guy just enjoy his new watch in this thread? I already took the thread off-topic with my long-winded posts, but I just tried to defend his right to do that. :)

It's nice, but will never make my shortlist because of the flaws. I don't have enough money to spend on all the watches I like that ARE spot on, never mind the ones that are slightly off, but when the cash appears it'll be the more accurate rep that wins the spend.......

Yet another great rep that I'd have bought long ago were it not for the recessed date. Nothing screams "rep" like that stupid recessed date. How many gens do you see with a recessed date like that?

My Navitimer is the same and yet, it looks the business.

@Jason, No-one will notice. Enjoy your watch. :D

i have the some watch - must be from the same factory like the ultimate PO -

same quality - i love them both :rolleyes:

but to my surprise i wear the chrono more often - strange, but

with Omegas i don't care about flaws ;)

i thing the rep looks even better than the gen - i like the wider spacing

of the subdials .

Frank

i have the some watch

i thing the rep looks even better than the gen - i like the wider spacing

of the subdials .

Frank

Frank you have reached that place we all seek.......replica Nirvana - please now leave RWG by the nearest available exit. We can no longer help you here. :lol:

JTB

When this watch first came out I tried it on the AD, and if it would have been priced closer to the SMP Chrono price I would have had the gen.

I would have thought this would have been a hugely popular rep but I have only seen a few reviews. Although it may not be quite as exact as the Ultimate PO this is still a great rep. The tell tail sign as has been stated before is the subdial spacing. But realistically it is the size of the 3,6,9 due to this spacing that really give it away. But honestly unless it was sitting next to a gen, or you specifically new about this issue you would never pick this up.

Some other small issues are that the pearl is slightly off center just like the regular PO, and the AR is not as good as the gen.

This watch looks smaller than a 44mm PAM but on the wrist it feels substantial. This is by far my heaviest watch, but it is still quite comfortable. One problem is due to the thickness of this version (much thicker than non-chrono version) it does not fit under a sleeve, but makes a great watch for the weekend or with a golf shirt.

If you are a big PO fan this is a must.

Not a full review but here are some pics.

You are right! This watch is a dream to wear and is a hunk on the wrist. it is amazing watch and although no absolutely accurate it is a beauty!

Nice to see the PO Chrono get a mention.

Sure it's far from perfect, but it's built to the same spec as the U-PO and I know plenty of ADs even in central London that haven't even seen one never mind handled one. Personally, having worn all 3 gen variants, for me the only one that works is the black with orange indices on rubber/orange stitch strap. The all-black is too 'meh', the all-orange too 'bleeurgh', this one is Goldilock's choice....juuuust right :D

188604-5292.gif

As for the rep version, I am tempted to get this and buy the gen 22/20 strap/clasp (not RRP of course which is obscenely OTT). Datewheel font I'm not sure about but a gen ETA 7750 datewheel swapout is inexpensive if it bothers you. The subdial spacing you can't do much about but it is possible to bring the datewheel closer to the dial by some chrono transfer gear 'surgery' (mind the autowinder bridge!) - of course you won't have a chrono function anymore but hey if you don't use it anyway.....

I recall another poster proposed building a Franken by obtaining a gen movt (and dial/hands etc.). Nice idea but I'd love to know how one could procure such a movt? :blink: I mean we're talking about the calibre 3313 here, a COSC-certified chrono movt with a column wheel mechanism for accuracy and co-axial escapement for efficiency (PR about 52 hours). It's pretty much their flagship movt.

Personally, having worn all 3 gen variants, for me the only one that works is the black with orange indices on rubber/orange stitch strap. The all-black is too 'meh', the all-orange too 'bleeurgh', this one is Goldilock's choice....juuuust right :D

188844-5245.gif

As for the rep version, I am tempted to get this and buy the gen 22/20 strap/clasp (not RRP of course which is obscenely OTT). Datewheel font I'm not sure about but a gen ETA 7750 datewheel swapout is inexpensive if it bothers you.

-- snip --

I mean we're talking about the calibre 3313 here, a COSC-certified chrono movt with a column wheel mechanism for accuracy and co-axial escapement for efficiency (PR about 52 hours). It's pretty much their flagship movt.

Love the strap ;)

One of the guys working in the Omega shop in central London showed me his PO Chrono with orange bezel, it was very nice :) Go in there and have a little talk. I'd gone in there to get a (free) bracelet adjustment on my SMP Chrono nd talked Omega watches for a little bit until he had to see another customer. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

One of the guys working in the Omega shop in central London showed me his PO Chrono with orange bezel, it was very nice :) Go in there and have a little talk. I'd gone in there to get a (free) bracelet adjustment on my SMP Chrono nd talked Omega watches for a little bit until he had to see another customer. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You talking about in the RoyEx in the City? Will he give me another strap during the chat? Or a significant reduction? ;)