When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Small Review Of The Slr

Pix

Hi all,

here's my third "review", I hope it will catch some members' eyes ! I can't help sharing this with you, as I really fall in love with all these rep toys since one month I've been wandering on the boards.

Still playing in the "cheap" reps yard (I mean pricewise...).

That one costed 118 USD ! And it does not mean it's cheap indeed, I'll tell you why.

First some eye candies, then my comments. Hopefully yours will follow. :lol:

187434-5550.jpg

187434-5551.jpg187434-5552.jpg187434-5553.jpg

and...

TADAAA ...

the wrist shot !

187434-5554.jpg

1. The dealer - Why I chose this model

That rep was ordered from Andrew, as for the 2 other reps I own. This one he beat all records : 8 days from my order until the delivery in France ! I just say... WOW ! Thanks Andrew.

After a MontBlanc and a Bell&Ross, I was looking for a thick watch, the one you wear to show you have balls !! :whistling:

I know nothing can beat a Pannie for that, but that will be a next choice... ;)

It is offered with either black, blue, white or brown dial. It only exists in Quartz version, at least at Trustytime...

It is normally delivered with a leather alligator grain strap. That one came with a brushed SS bracelet, the same which is actually delivered with the TAG Link Chrono models.

2. How is it ? As a watch

Well... Have a look at the wrist shot ! For me it managed its goal : looks great, big but not too thanks to the integral SS bracelet that perfectly fits the case. I was a bit afraid of that advertized 42 mm. Now, I don't regret my choice at all.

The finishing is great, at least according to my standards ! I see "only" one defect, that you all noticed : the way the clasp is finished... OK, it would have been perfect without, but it does not hurt so much, as I am the only one who know (except you ! ;-) ) The rest of the bracelet is nice, I have nothing to say. It does not look as some cheap bracelets you sometimes get (I'm referring to my very first Mont Blanc from replica-watch-town !!!!) The deployment clasp holds well and I do like the bracelet shape.

I have only black or white dials on my other watches, and I wished to try something else : what a great idea ! The brown has (beautiful) different fading effects, depending on the angle you look at it.

There's an inner Bi-Directional rotational bezel. As a newbie, I of course have no idea what's that for, but I love playing with it ! :yu:

The front glass is advertized as synthetic sapphire. Whatever it is, all look sharp, no annoying magnifying glass effect, no annoying reflection : just as I expected it.

The chrono is a working chrono, as you could expect it for a quartz model. The date wheel seems OK for me (font and centering). I know some of you know more about the date sunk thingies...Please let me know how you consider this one. I just find it good.

The buttons on the right are a bit hard to push for starting/resetting the chrono. Curiously, it's very smooth after it has been started. But then again, when chrono is reset, they become hard again. I don't know if this is a normal behaviour or not.

The watch is heavy, and I love that !! :wub:

180 gr, as you see it.

The back has a mirror effect and a clean and neat marking. I have absolutely no idea how it is vs the gen. However, it's a quite simple laser marking, there's no embossing or whatever, and it looks actually much simpler than the back you can see on higher end TAG reps (I'm thinking here to the TAG Link Chrono with 7750 Valjoux).

So... I love this watch. I would lie if I would say else... :1a:

3. How is it ? As a rep

My only reference is the website from TAG Heuer. And I'm afraid that purists will be disappointed : as far as I can see, the SLR only exist in black. So the brown colour is the first easy clue to say "fake" ! Worse : it's supposed to be an automatic watch, and here we have a quartz movement ! :p These are both points you have to know before buying... and of course I knew it, and decided not to let the quest for a 1:1 rep be stronger than my feelings for the nice watch I saw on Andrew"s webstore.

The thickness is about 10 mm, against about 15 for the genuine. The date is white (even on the black version) whereas it should be black. Also the orientation of the date is wrong. So, as you see, many small things make it quite different from the gen.

The dials and the different markings (exept the back, which again I don't know) seem accurate, except the 175 that should be 170. Strange.

Conclusion

You're looking for the closest possible rep : that's not a watch for you. You're looking for a not too expensive TAG Heuer with a really sexy aspect. I'm quite confident in advising you to purchase it !

Any comment or question is welcome.

Cheers.

Pix

[Edit] 8th september 2007

3 more shots

85407487uk9.jpg

77229122tx6.jpg

86856106mt8.jpg

Edited by Pix

27 Posts and a nice review already. Thanks for the contribution to the forum. Quartz or not, close or not to original, if you like it - it is a good watch. Just like wine - a good one is one you like. Enjoy the watch and keep up the good work.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Nice to see something unusual. Personally, I think many quartz reps get too little attention here.

Sunken date font is usually not an issue in quartz watches.. Since thay dont have the extra subdial transfer gears.

Thats why some of the cheapie quartz-based Navitimer-replicas have an excellent date... while their four-times as expensive mechanical counterparts have a sunken date that stands out.

For the non-perfect bracelet, I think you just have to live with it, or maybe grind it slightly.. Even the otherwise excellent Link-Chrono replicas have a somewhat rough finish on the inside of the bracelet.

Thanks for an excellent review of an unusual watch! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Sry but it looks "off" at first sight compared to real one.But a really nice watch for the price! ^_^

3. How is it ? As a rep

(...)And I'm afraid that purists will be disappointed : as far as I can see, the SLR only exist in black. So the brown colour is the first easy clue to say "fake" !

Agreed ! ;)

BTW : the clasp problem has been solved : sand paper and "steelwool" 000 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

196214-3031.jpg

Edited by Pix

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one recently with blue dial and blue strap just because I liked the way it looked. Didn't particularly care that it was quartz. I thought it was a fantasy watch because it wasn't in the latest product catalog I got from Mercedes Benz. OK, another reason is that I have a Mercedes SLK, and thought the watch would make me think about not buying any more reps so I could save some money and trade in the SLK for an SLR. Obviously, that was flawed logic. I like the watch a lot. The only problem I had was that the stopwatch hand was set (and would reset) to 1 second instead of 0. I took it to a local jeweler, and he pushed a bunch of buttons after pulling out the crown, and it was fixed. Wish I could remember what he did exactly. Didn't cost anything for the service. I think I'll put it on my wrist today, and try to not purchase any reps. Probably not going to happen. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hi,

would you post one or two pics of the blue one ? How does the strap look like ? Cheap or quality leather ?

My stopwatch hand reset very slightly before 12. Hardly noticeable. But it seems to be a problem on many "chep?" quartz movements. I have two other Chronos (non reps from cheaper brands >> Festina and Fila) and they also do not reset correctly.

Cheers.

BTW : what colour is your SLK ? ;)

:)

Yes, right : I need to find a way to get rid of the direct lighting too. I will try the "pillow" trick ^_^

I also bought a tripod on ebay for... 2 EUR + carriage... Should do the job.

BTW Flavor Fav, I'm looking for a similar strap as you have on your avatar : black alligator with red stitching. It's for my Kalashnikov watch. :captain:

If you have any clue. Thx

post-4381-1172474624_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

would you post one or two pics of the blue one ? How does the strap look like ? Cheap or quality leather ?

My stopwatch hand reset very slightly before 12. Hardly noticeable. But it seems to be a problem on many "chep?" quartz movements. I have two other Chronos (non reps from cheaper brands >> Festina and Fila) and they also do not reset correctly.

Cheers.

BTW : what colour is your SLK ? ;)

Sorry about lack of pix. Will try to get to it this week. Strap could be better. Not sure if it is really leather, either. The reset problem seems to not be a real problem, or it is a very common issue with quartz watches. The watch repair person at the local mall fixed it so quickly, I hardly saw what he did. My SLK is silver. The watch will probably match my 928 Porsche better if I ever get around to finish the paint (silver/blue). Gotta stop buying reps, and get back to real life. :whistling:

Thx Usil ! :)

My only worry is now not to get reps quick enough to make reviews :yeah:

I love ordering them, gathering all the things in my watch box, taking pictures, working these pictures in photoshop, finding new straps...

Am I hooked ??! :g:

Mmm... I would say I crossed the point of no return. Only the bank will stop me ! :black_eye:

Well, better this than other addictions ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have still a lot to learn, and that makes me thrill. It's been a while since I last had such positive interest in something ! (except sex ... :whistling: )

I don't have any TAG but after looking at your pic and when I decide to get a one I think I will have a hard time to choose between the SLR and the LINK.

If you want an accurate one, it seems the Link is close to perfect. The rest is a question of personal taste. I'm waiting for a leather strap for the SLR and will let you see how it looks like with an other dress.