When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Noobs Are Happy...and We Are At War!

elprimerozen

I see a big discusion at this time about movements,flaws,lies,swiss made ,chiss made...and we all look so unhappy for our watches that at the same time noobs come read only dealers review and are 100% satisfied with their watch!Then if they they post the photos in the forum the only thing that we can do is make them to feel unhappy for buying a watch with flaws....so the noobs become members of an unhappy society that the only thing in our mind is to find the perfect rep...and we never see the reality of the beautyful watches that we buy.Even the gen come with flaws...some of wich are hand made mechanical clocks.My El-Primero from Zenith came with a movement that it was going fast 20sec per 24hours...the start stop button falout...my gen gmt had a problem with the bezzel...and it goes on and on! I have seen watches with flaws that actualy makes them more beautyful than gens.See this flaw on that daytona??

for me the rep wins on this one!

GEN:

187587-5510.jpg

REP:

187587-5511.jpg

So dont be unhappy please!!! ;)

ive been thinking about this very thing for a while recently, particularly concerning my own postings, but am no closer to a resolution.

its a great community here and ive learned lots i never new i would. i enjoy visiting most days and look forward to looking at peoples photos, reading how to fix things and the ingenuity and passion of many of the members is something lacking from many gen watch communities i find.

that withstanding, the overriding trend with the posts here concern people wanting to make their watches as good as a gen by modding them up. comparing versions, discussing options etc etc. where does one find the middle ground in posting on here about this.

when you see an issue on a watch that identifies it to you as a rep its hard to point it out when the owner has worked hard on it and yet by not telling we as a community achieve nothing.

would it be better if we all just told everyone their watch was great and we couldnt tell the difference even when we can. doing this would ruin this forum but finding the line to tread is difficult in the extreme.

its too easy to end up creating an environment where people dont want to post watches anymore and that would certainly be the end however similarly if theres no honesty then there will be little interest here also.

for me its two sides that dont sit comfortably together and creates the sadness as you call it, often exaggerated by differing standards between members. some are especially anal while others dont care as much about the minutiae. neither is right or wrong but it can create issues in dialogue between the two. a mile to some may appear just an inch to another i guess.

perhaps people being more realistic about rep ownership would be a good start. there seems to be an increasing trend of people genuinely believing its easy to get 100% cosmetically which makes constructive criticism harder to post.

its difficult to do, especially given the lack of quality in many aftermarket so called OEM parts but thats why everyone enjoys doing it to an extent and finds it frustrating too.

for my own side, im fortunate enough to own a gen 5512 and gen 5513. as i wear them daily it means that small things that are off on a rep stick out like a beacon, even on my own modded rep rollies. by pointing it out i mean no disrespect to your watch or your effort, its like telling you your tyres flat but often its not taken this way and all too often im left feeling like a grumpy old man, the party pooper of the thread

Edited by thewightstuff

Unhappy? All my watches are working just fine-diddly-dee. I'm not unhappy. :D

I'm unhappy because I couldn't pick up my mystery EMS package today and I have two new watches that are over two weeks away from getting here. I saw them over a video chat and now have to wait ... :(

Oh, and I'm not really unhappy as I've got a mystery EMS package waiting for me downstairs and even more watches less than a month away! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm unhappy because I couldn't pick up my mystery EMS package today and I have two new watches that are over two weeks away from getting here. I saw them over a video chat and now have to wait ... :(

Oh, and I'm not really unhappy as I've got a mystery EMS package waiting for me downstairs and even more watches less than a month away! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Some good reasons to be happy :rolleyes: or unhappy!!I agree 100% with you!

Yes its beautyfull to see pics of a watch that is moded,and the person that owns the watch gives a big effort to do that...and in some point the moods will stop the owener allready spend a big amount of money and the watch can not go further to be perfect...and when the question fromthe owener will be to point out the flaws we all have to respect him for his project that he loves!For me in that point we have to say that the watch is 100% perfect simply because there is no next step! :victory:

I think the threads you are refering to are NOT about being unhappy and they certainly are not about flaws in the watches. They are talking about being lied to, pure and simple. That is VERY different than a flaw in a watch and it does not mean anyone is unhappy, simply that they want accurate descriptions of what they purchase.

I think the threads you are refering to are NOT about being unhappy and they certainly are not about flaws in the watches. They are talking about being lied to, pure and simple. That is VERY different than a flaw in a watch and it does not mean anyone is unhappy, simply that they want accurate descriptions of what they purchase.

you continue other topic here....

Noobs that are unhappy (or vets for that matter) with their watches are just lying to themselves when they order a $300 watch and expect the quality of a $10,000 watch. I don't buy watches to fool myself (or others) into thinking I am better off than I really am. I buy watches because I enjoy the hobby and it gives me lots to talk about with wonderful people on these boards.

I look at replicas this way. I buy a nice watch for around $300 because I like it, regardless of what it says on the dial, although the name does help. It is fun to see how close they can get the fine details. I usually don't expect much so I am happier when the watch arrives most of the time. I have had a few purchases that fell below my expectations but I take the good with the bad. I have had a few die in a week or two and I take it as a loss. No bitching or complaining from me.

I take the little white lies with a grain of salt, it's marketing. How much advertising is 100% truthful? I guess it is in my nature to trust noone so again I am rarely let down.

All in all I am very happy to have this and other forums and be able to collect great watches without spending tons of money. If you add up my current collection I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of $250,000 in watches all for about $5,000. So YES I am very happy.

The only negative thought I have in my mind right now is why do they have to come out with so many great watches all at once? How am I going to pay for the 10 other watches that are on my list today that I wanted yesterday?

I see a big discusion at this time about movements,flaws,lies,swiss made ,chiss made...and we all look so unhappy for our watches that at the same time noobs come read only dealers review and are 100% satisfied with their watch!Then if they they post the photos in the forum the only thing that we can do is make them to feel unhappy for buying a watch with flaws....so the noobs become members of an unhappy society that the only thing in our mind is to find the perfect rep...and we never see the reality of the beautyful watches that we buy.Even the gen come with flaws...some of wich are hand made mechanical clocks.My El-Primero from Zenith came with a movement that it was going fast 20sec per 24hours...the start stop button falout...my gen gmt had a problem with the bezzel...and it goes on and on! I have seen watches with flaws that actualy makes them more beautyful than gens.See this flaw on that daytona??

for me the rep wins on this one!

GEN:

187686-5487.jpg

REP:

187686-5488.jpg

So dont be unhappy please!!! ;)

i agree with the photos the rep bracelet fit is better! rolex bracelets have no attention to detail when it comes to fitting/matching the lugs! looks like crap in this area if you ask me! on the gen daytona is there an AR coating? looks like it in that pic. the genuine dial is beautiful! i never liked the daytona untill i saw this pic of the genuine! but then again.....i refuse to buy a watch where the bracelet can't fit right to the lugs! why can they never get it right? i've never seen a rolex of any kind where the bracelet matches up..... and back to the topic, i am always happy to see a watch with flaws i can correct! that's the whole fun of reps to me anyways....doing the mods! if they were perfect, i would not make the spare change doing mods for you guys and in the end... i'd not have as much fun with them.

I'm easy to please (most of the time). I see a watch and compare it to the real deal. I like it....It's really close to the real deal.....I buy it. When I get it the first thing I do after I spend too much time unwrapping the damn thing is PUT IT ON. I wear it for awhile and then I look at it real closely. Maybe I'll spot the flaws and maybe I won't. Nevertheless, I'm pleased as hell.

BTW, I've got a lot of gens and you know what? I have more problems with them then I do with the reps.... and I have a lot more reps.

All in all, I respect those looking for perfection. For me, it's in the eye of the beholder.

on the gen daytona is there an AR coating? looks like it in that pic. the genuine dial is beautiful! i never liked the daytona untill i saw this pic of the genuine! but then again.....i refuse to buy a watch where the bracelet can't fit right to the lugs! why can they never get it right? i've never seen a rolex of any kind where the bracelet matches up.....

No, gen daytonas do not have AR coating. Rolex probably thinks it takes away from the dial and most of their watches are for diving so no reflection down below. I think it would make sense for the daytona, but then again it may distort those beautigul dials.

The fact about the bracelet is that they are still using 80 year old springbar "technology" to attach their bracelets to the case. You would think that all the money spent on research and waterproofing they could find a way to attach the bracelet to the case of a $20,000 watch that was better than two little pins hanging on for dear life in a crevace less than 1mm deep. The old cases with the holes were better IMO, at least the pins went all the way through.

Happy noob here too . The reason why i'm happy is that thanks to this forum i've purchased a bunch of watches ( a very small collection , just three) that are all beyond my initial expectations . I've got a tag link chrono , a iwc ingy and a pam 111h and they all look the part and keep excellent time .

Maybe i'm being a little naive , but i'd like to think that i knew what i was doing when i decided to purchase .Thanks to some great reviews (by-tor , Pug and others)

i got a pretty good view of what was being presented , The Zigmeister is an essential part to the community , reviewing the different movements and their reliability .

So , i think , the key to being a happy customer is to rely on customers-reviews , not dealers-ads .

The thread Pug opened however is a vital one . Nobody likes to be lied to , it's a matter of repect ; if i was to purchase a watch that was presented to me as being superlumed and it turned out to be not the case , i would be downright angry .

I'm now waiting with great anticipation on the chopard GT XL . Will i buy it the moment it hits the market , no i won't . I'll wait for some of my fellowmembers on the board to write a review and then i'll decide . Bying on impulse is a big no-no in my book .

P.

Noobs that are unhappy (or vets for that matter) with their watches are just lying to themselves when they order a $300 watch and expect the quality of a $10,000 watch. I don't buy watches to fool myself (or others) into thinking I am better off than I really am. I buy watches because I enjoy the hobby and it gives me lots to talk about with wonderful people on these boards.

I look at replicas this way. I buy a nice watch for around $300 because I like it, regardless of what it says on the dial, although the name does help. It is fun to see how close they can get the fine details. I usually don't expect much so I am happier when the watch arrives most of the time. I have had a few purchases that fell below my expectations but I take the good with the bad. I have had a few die in a week or two and I take it as a loss. No bitching or complaining from me.

I take the little white lies with a grain of salt, it's marketing. How much advertising is 100% truthful? I guess it is in my nature to trust noone so again I am rarely let down.

All in all I am very happy to have this and other forums and be able to collect great watches without spending tons of money. If you add up my current collection I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of $250,000 in watches all for about $5,000. So YES I am very happy.

The only negative thought I have in my mind right now is why do they have to come out with so many great watches all at once? How am I going to pay for the 10 other watches that are on my list today that I wanted yesterday?

Well said

I think Pugwash's thread pointed out a disturbing trend. It was a necessary red flag. That doesn't dismiss the fact that most collectors here, noobs and vets alike, are enthusiastic about this hobby. We were just rolling in the joys of "the golden age of replicas" a few weeks ago extolling the virtues of the newest generation of very accurate reps. This is a discussion board and all ongoing discussions move along a wave. Just because we dipped into talking about the seedier side of the buying and selling of illegal contraband, it doesnt mean I'm any less passionate about being a collector. Just a little wiser than I was yesterday.

I'm happy with my purchases - all setting prettily in my nice two drawer view window watch box.

I do hope that some terminology is sorted out by our dealers with Pugwashes efforts in another thread and I will be more careful about what dealer I use in the future but I am generally happy with my purchases.

There is only one thing that I am unhappy about and that is about my PO that now has a scratched crystal from just putting it temporarily into my carryon bag as I passed through security in an airport. I definitely got caught with the 'synthetic saphire' issue meaning from this dealer - it is really just mineral glass. Bummer.

Usil

We need to boycott the truth!

Well, our reps are not genuine, that is true..

yet we do our best to pass them off as being the real deal..

LOL...

terminology schmerminology

buncha crooks arguing over what to call the swag...

too much of comical...

the Emperor of the North Pole has a role

and many will go to great lenghths

modding away, better to conceal their own

lies...

:rolleyes::victory::whistling:

Alas I failed my O Level in Vulcan and am at a loss as to the core element of your argument.

..........Or as Spock would say......."Nahp - hif-bi tu throks"

JTB

go figure?

for

is already bin

concisioned

so the wise guys can ez see

otherwise is what was and shall

ever be.

Go figure.