When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help Me Choose

Ben

firstly let me say thanks for helping out a new guy.

recently i fell in love with Panerai, i just can't make a decision, its my birthday coming up soon so i thought i would give myself a treat

I could go and buy my dream replica Panerai which would take some time choosing or i could save my money and buy the cheapest genuine Panerai, just wondering which Panerai is the best quality replica i can currently buy or would it be better if i just saved and got a real?

if it helps i really like the PAMs with the bridge over the crown so it sort of rules out the radiomir.

my wrist is also not the largest (6.4inches) so size could be an issue however

thanks again and sorry for not having specific replicas to choose from

first off, welcome to rwg! for a guy who has collected reps for a few years now ... i think you are better off saving up and getting a genuine. collecting reps becomes an addiction because it is only a few hundred dollars here and there. look ahead and times that few hundred into ten watches and you're now in the thousands. last year i was able to pick up a pre-owned 091 for $3,000.00. i jumped on the offer and man, am i glad i did! the watch had just come back from a full servicing by panerai and looked brand new. it blows my mind every time i wear it. i still wear my reps but i can honestly tell you that there is no better feeling than strapping on the genuine. everyone will have a different point of view but the truth is that there isn't a perfect panerai replica out there. and if there was ... it certainly won't stand the test of time like the genuine. in closing, if you can afford it ... go for it! i hope this helps. here is a picture of my genuine 091 and my brothers genuine 220 ...

192034-4682.jpg

pugwash is that a real or fake?

if i do buy a replica and there is a flaw in the etching or something makes it look bad is there any way of getting a replacement or is it a chance you take? because looking on the site there photos always look good but i cant tell if they are good reps or gen watches

so i guess im going to have to have a think about this, if i go for a rep wheres the best shop online that will ship to the UK?

thanks to everyone for the help

My suggestions:

PAM 36 - Marina Militare in Titanium Casing

PAM 192 - Tantalium

Both of which have most accurate looking crowns which is the biggest flaws in most replica panerais....

Genuine cheapest panerais: Go for 005 or 000 both of which are below $3000 for a LNIB

i think i have at chosen the watch!

PAM 172

however is the mvt that important for around $80 more i can get the Swiss movement over Asian is the difference that noticeable?

are there any owners of this rep? from the same site?

http://watchwindersworld.com/pn17202-tanta...497-p-2029.html

http://watchwindersworld.com/pn17201-tanta...497-p-2035.html

thanks

i think i have at chosen the watch!

PAM 172

however is the mvt that important for around $80 more i can get the Swiss movement over Asian is the difference that noticeable?

are there any owners of this rep? from the same site?

http://watchwindersworld.com/pn17202-tanta...497-p-2029.html

http://watchwindersworld.com/pn17201-tanta...497-p-2035.html

thanks

Ben,

I have the asian movement 172 and it is an awesome watch. Probably my favorite. Here is a post of my 172 It is an excellent first choice for you.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Mario-Paci-and-172-t18907.html

pugwash is that a real or fake?

That is a Silix-Prime $110 replica with a Toscana strap on it. If you are unsure what gen to get, get a handful of the $110 reps (a 111, a 183 and a 127, for instance) for the price of a Swiss rep. That way, you can spend a few weeks trying them out, working out what's best for you and then offload them on the forum and get the one you want in either fancy swiss with all the bells and whistles or get a Gen.

Th fact that you looked at my $110 rep and asked if it were a rep or a gen means you'll be happy to learn on the cheapoes as they're amazing value for money. I never got round to trading them in for a pricier one.

192215-4641.jpg

the only problem i have with the 172 and the 036 for instance is that they were special editions. there were only 300 units of the 172 ever made. unless you've got over $10,000.00 to spend, the chance of you owning one is slim to none. with that being said ... 95% of people do not know what panerai is so it would be easy to pull off. in fact, my first good rep was the 036 and the reason that i bought it was because it was the closest to the genuine. little did i know at that time there was only 200 ever made. lol. if i had it to do over again, i would go with a 176 or 177. ultimately you have to go with what you like best. a lot of people don't like my choice of the pam 091 as a genuine because it is quite far from what most panerai's look like. but when it came right down to it, that was the one that i wanted and i am 110% happy with my choice. good luck and please let us know what you finally decide. here are the specs of the 172 from the panerai website ...

http://www.panerai.com/s_special_editions....id_categoria=48

The other problem with the 172 is that it's made of Tantalum. I believe the replica is made of Titanium, which is close but not the same.

The Tantalium gen is a different metal composition, however I have seen it and compared it to the rep and it takes a trained eye to tell the difference for sure. The owner of the gen who compared his with mine was quite pleased to find another 'owner' of the 172, and for reasons I wil not go into here, I did not say mine was a rep. but the quality of the copy on this watch is pretty darn good.

I will have to agree with JTB and Pug, get a nice 111H. :thumbsupsmileyanim: I love the new "smooth" movement and after a little modding you can have an excellent rep that will keep time as good as the real deal. If you can save your pennies I would get a genuine 111 or if you have a higher budget a PAM104. I have owned several genuine Panerai and they all grow on you and even the models you don't like will be in your collection before you know it (PAM024 for me). :) Let us know your budget for a genuine and maybe we can help you out more or you can get several reps and see what you really like from the 40, 44, 45, 47mm choices. ;)

Hello !

I am another victim of the Panerai virus, and the way I fell in love was having a gen and two reps on my wrist....yes, a friend did this to me. He gave me the full dosis and after less than a week the incubation time was over and I was laying there biting my pillow not being able to wait for my first rep 111H to arrive.

Recently I have been moving on to different reps...but reading this thread the Pam virus seems to come back again.

I still think Panerai is the best rep you can get bc the movement (at least on the base models) is really almost the same as on the gen. That being said, I love the Pams but I think the gens are simply overpriced for what they offer....and many gen owners I know do certainly agree that the base models should not be more than 1,000 EUR on the bottom line.

So I think it really is a good idea to get yourself a first rep (my choice was the 111H) and then look for a gen if you are still crazy about it (my guess is you wont be anymore).

By the way, which Pam is currently the closest to the gen ?? Is it the 172 ? I have never been aware of that model, maybe cause I once looked at it, didnt like the blue hands and skipped it...but taste will change at an enormous speed.........

Here is my 111h...

192571-4560.jpg

Edited by uziuzi

well i still haven't decided yet, over the weekend im going to go visit some stores and get some prices on second hand gens if i think there worth it i may go all out and get one failing that a couple of panerai and maybe an omega/breitling.

thanks to everyone again, pretty amazed at the amount of help i received, will keep you all updated tho!

after looking at the prices, for now im going to buy a replica!

i have only a few questions left to ask,

who makes the best pam172?

or 111h?

what are these mods that people keep mentioning and are they hard to complete do i need special tools?

thanks

who makes the best pam172?

or 111h?

If you're after the best, with all the mods already done, you could look at Davidsen's PAMs. I personally went for the cheapest Silix ones, but I keep being tempted by Davidsen's range, in particular his $350 111h.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=15722