When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Rolex balance bridge and Hair spring on a clone movement

cib0rgman

Not sure, if anyone here already asked this before. bit is it possible to replace a balance bridge and a hair spring on a VSF 3235 clone movement. the hair spring is not very reliable and the shock absorbing does not work very well on clone movements, sometimes it get out of place and stop the watch. 

I have to open the watch just to blow air on it so it goes back the correct place. it may not even be cost effective to do this.

It all depends on the accuracy of the clone. If the interfacing components match OE Rolex spec, then you should be able to replace the clone parts with gens (or other gen spec parts).
Although my hands-on experience is limited to Daytona 4130 clones, you might check out the threads detailing my gen parts transplants for The Big Kahuna and The Golden Cuckoo.

126610-franken-project.10481539

https://images.clickpix.org/jdw7ZS.jpg

3235-105 - Barrel Bridge (Complete)
3235-110 - Train Wheel Bridge
3235-120 - Balance Bridge
3235-145 - Auto Module w/ Rotor
3235-213 - Crown Wheel
3235-217 - Yoke for Sliding Gear (w/ Barrel)
3235-220 - Setting Lever
3235-260 - Minute Wheel
3235-270 - Cannon Pinion
3235-315 - Barrel w/ Mainspring
3235-421 - Pallet Fork
3235-410 - Escape Wheel
3235-432 - Balance

Edited by energo
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I do not have a horse in this race, but I wonder just how good a properly oiled etc. Daytona clone movement really is? 

If they are pretty good, maybe just go with the clone in original condition, hope for the best, and leave the 'suicide buttons' alone unless something really needs to be timed.

Relatively low cost insurance...

Buy another similar movement for parts if trouble arises later on.

If the clone movement is running fine and you are Feeling Lucky...

Buy a lottery ticket. 

You might get Big Time Lucky, then go out and buy twenty steel or 18K Daytonas for your RWG friends.    :victory:

Next day...after realizing the question was not about a Daytona clone movement.    :animal_rooster:

From what I have read, the 3235 clone seems to be pretty good and being a lot less complicated than a Daytona movement, I would definitely stick with an unaltered clone and see how it goes.

Since I never have owned one, a few things that might cause trouble are the winding rotor bearings, reversers, setting and date works.  Maybe not.