When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Do I Remove Chronograph Hands?

I'm actually swapping the dial and replacing the hands on a genuine omega movement. I'm so scared~! Damn. Where are you located marrick?

Just like how you would be removing the hour/min/sec hands.

Just be careful not to break or bend the pinion.

Btw....if you are trying to freeze the 6'o clock subdial - read the guides here. There has been some members who have done this very successfully.

Well I asked FlipLockBuckle, and his advise was to use a set of hedge clippers. ;)

Actually, I've been thinking about get something other than the Presto tool for this because even though the Presto isn't supposed to mar (and I use watch paper between it and the dial anyhow), I just don't want it pressing on the subdial print. The levers look like they'd be better for little subdial hands but somehow they give me visions of a subdial hand flying across the room never to be found again...

193000-4471.jpg

I'd like to hear from Ubi and The Zigmeister as to what their tool of choice is.

Here's a technique that I use sometimes...use it at your own risk:

Use the dial itself to lift off the subdial hands. Put a piece of watch paper under the hands, release the dial feet, and gently pry the dial up in the area of each subdial. The hands will pop right off. There's a small risk that the hand itself will damage the dial (I've never seen this happen), but the risk is probably greater that you will damage the dial with a hand removal tool.

Here's a technique that I use sometimes...use it at your own risk:

Use the dial itself to lift off the subdial hands. Put a piece of watch paper under the hands, release the dial feet, and gently pry the dial up in the area of each subdial. The hands will pop right off. There's a small risk that the hand itself will damage the dial (I've never seen this happen), but the risk is probably greater that you will damage the dial with a hand removal tool.

i've done this many times with no issue. seems less risky that a hand remover for the tiny hands.

Levers are a good idea.. trickier to use than presto removers but much more controlled and actually less likely to send parts flying if used gently.

With all hand removers you need to protect the dial, use a small sheet of plastic or paper with cut outs for the hands. I use fine telfon sheet as it is the least likely to mark a dial, even the very soft textured ones

Well I asked FlipLockBuckle, and his advise was to use a set of hedge clippers. ;)

Actually, I've been thinking about get something other than the Presto tool for this because even though the Presto isn't supposed to mar (and I use watch paper between it and the dial anyhow), I just don't want it pressing on the subdial print. The levers look like they'd be better for little subdial hands but somehow they give me visions of a subdial hand flying across the room never to be found again...

193407-4416.jpg

I'd like to hear from Ubi and The Zigmeister as to what their tool of choice is.

Dude! LOL

You made me spit my coffee out :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm actually swapping the dial and replacing the hands on a genuine omega movement. I'm so scared~! Damn. Where are you located marrick?

Well the good news is that if you are putting on a new dial and hands, it won't matter if you screw up the old dial and hands pulling them off as they won't be going back on anyway.

Also if you are worried about hands flying when using the dial lift method I would imagine a piece of tape or something stuck on top of the hands would keep them from flying far and let you find them again easily in any circumstance... just put watch paper down first so the tape doesn't stick to the dial...

Whatever you do to remove the hands, levers, lifting the dial (ugly way but it can work), hedge trimmer etc. Protect the dial! Don't use paper get some thin but stiff acetate sheet. Cut it larger than the dial and cut narrow slots in it to accommodate the hands. Slide it in between the hands and the dial. Never touch the dial with your fingers! The oils from them and easily ruin a dial.