When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Windows Vista?

KB

It has no D3D sound support or EAX as microsoft removed the direct sound HAL.

Creative are working on a "WRAPPER" to fix this, but the performance won't be as good because this is basically emulation of the hardware calls.

I will not be upgrading also due to the DRM issues, game problems and it's massive resource hog etc.......

Oh but it looks pretty...... :p:rolleyes:

The big issue every time a new operating system upgrade comes out is lack of drivers. It is not an operating issue per say but it is an issue until all the software companies get their acts together. This can take time. Me, I like to wait for version 2 and this is what I did for XP profesional. By that time, drivers were not an issue and everything was optimised.

As for Vista, XP pro works fine for me. I am on line 24 hours a day and with my fire wall, spyware program and Norton antivirus, I have no issues (I know - I should just get an Apple) and my friends using Linux say the same for their operating system. I don't really know what Vista will bring me so I will wait and see. Unlike Windows 98, XP-pro seems to have a long life and works for me in everything I need and do. I think I will wait and do it when I do a motherboard change with a quad core, new super duper ATI graphics card, 'ridiculous speed' hard drives and latest sound card. That should be my next project in 2008.

Usil

Edited by Usil

HAL 9000 (Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer)

Awesome movie...shitty operating system, my brother is struggeling with Vista as we speak, now looking to run dual operating systems. I'm sticking with XP for now.

" I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours"

What does HAL stand for in the film? :D

It's IBM transposed one letter backwards.

I<=H

B<=A

M<=L

Arthur C. Clarke claims this was unintentional and he would have changed the name if he'd have spotted it. HAL is a backronym for "Heuristic ALgorithmic Computer" meaning he chose the name HAL and then worked out what it could stand for afterwards.

Microsoft has a utility you can run to identify potential application and driver compatibililty issues. It will also tell you whether your current hardware configuration is going to give you the full benefit of all Vista features.

Upgrade Advisor

I have it on my work laptop, which I got a few months ago, and Vista purrs. I love it.

On my home desktop the Upgrade Advisor identified potential driver problems for my scanner and a couple of apps, plus I ought to upgrade some hardware, so I've decided to defer the upgrade.

My wife, on the other hand, has a one-year-old Dell system running Media Center Edition and I will upgrade that system in the next few weeks.

I would not 100% trust that advisor software. Many customers I have helped had the advistor report no problems, only for the actual install to freeze and lock up etc....

I would wait until the SP1 version at least if I were to buy it, but then I am not going to buy it :)

Any games publisher that only supports Vista with the games they release would be losing the massive sales potential XP users still represent. At least I hope that will prove to be the case :p:D

I've been running it a little over a week now, and while I like it ok, I have yet to see a real advantage to using it over XP Pro SP2. My biggest gripe is that MS removed monitor spanning support so I can only extend my desktop to my 2nd monitor.

I will say that I haven't had any driver or program issues yet. My AV software works, nero works, and my printer works. I haven't tried out my scanner yet. Seems to boot as fast as XP, and I don't have an lack of resources, but I have a gig of ram too so that helps.

If you run alot of MS pirated software (and who doesn't?) then Vista is NOT the OS for you. MS loses billions a year to software pirates, and Vista (not one of its highly promoted features) is supposed to do much to finally tip the scale in MS's favor......

yeah that has been my main concern

i just got 2 brand new dells and for 10 bucks i get vista, i ordered the packets. I'm going to try it out on one of the computers and see how it flies - cause they are brand new, going back and wiping and reinstalling xp won't be a huge deal.