When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Start Of Week Wristcheck

Pugwash

Real quick....

Pugwash,

Where did you buy your Pam 187 from? (chronograph w/ diver bezel) Very cool looking watch! Is it a real Pam or a replica? Also, why do people call them Pams and not Pans???? Pam is a woman w/ big taters who can swallow musician bratwurt whole or the cooking spray I use.

Bigmouth,

I agree, the Hublot Big Bang is a seriously cool looking watch. Your replica is an amazingly accurate reproduction (assuming yours is a rep). I've seen pictures of the case back and that looks pretty darn accurate as well.

BTW, how is your movement working? I've read conflicting reports on the accuracy, operation and durability of the new 28,800 beat Asian 7750 movement.

Ubiquitous, et al.

For those liking the Daytona look who don't care if it says Rolex on the watch, Invicta makes a Daytona copy similar in most respects except for the brand name. Quartz movement however. I read a report indicating that it's almost impossible to get a reliably working 6-o-clock small seconds on the Daytona layout using a mechanical movement. Perhaps quartz can be substituted (oh horrors! :yuk: ?? Yay!! :D ??). I have an Invicta 9226 which I love. Very water resistant, good looking, reliable, accurate & inexpensive. Excellent daily beater.

Ok, ok ... not so brief. :whistling: Sorry. -_-

Just remembered,

Steinhartwatch.com makes a Daytona copy w/ mechanical movement (factory modified ETA 2824 w/ chronograph function). Caliber has 50 jewels (25 from 2824, 25 from factory mods), 40 hour power reserve, 300M water resistant, screw-down pushers, automatic. 42mm x 16mm size, stainless w/ sapphire crystal. Price is $825 ... VERY reasonable for the quality & features if you don't care that it doesn't say Rolex. Possibly you can change the face to a Daytona dial (??). Unfortunately, small seconds is at 3-o-clock position, so, wouldn't be a very accurate copy.

However, seems like a good choice if you want the look & performance of the Daytona and aren't trying to fool anyone into thinking you have an actual daytona. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just remembered,

Steinhartwatch.com makes a Daytona copy w/ mechanical movement (factory modified ETA 2824 w/ chronograph function). Caliber has 50 jewels (25 from 2824, 25 from factory mods), 40 hour power reserve, 300M water resistant, screw-down pushers, automatic. 42mm x 16mm size, stainless w/ sapphire crystal. Price is $825 ... VERY reasonable for the quality & features if you don't care that it doesn't say Rolex. Possibly you can change the face to a Daytona dial (??). Unfortunately, small seconds is at 3-o-clock position, so, wouldn't be a very accurate copy.

However, seems like a good choice if you want the look & performance of the Daytona and aren't trying to fool anyone into thinking you have an actual daytona. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This is good info stang. I can appreciate watches of all types. Unfortunately, I think info like this falls on deaf ears around here. Most are so focused on MBW great white 187 modded franken TW best with extra lume! Forgive the rant, but I have just gotten bored with reading post after post of guys criticizing beautiful watches because a screw, bezel or some other minute detail is slightly off from the genuine article. I mean damn! Just because it's not a PAM or 6263 is it not still a beautiful watch?

Just because it's not a PAM or 6263 is it not still a beautiful watch?

Frontin,

As the Budweiser ads go ... True, True.

Maybe someday I'll understand the reason for spending 500% more for a watch w/ the same quality and features simply because it has a well known brand name on it. For now, I'm far more interested in the features, looks and quality of a watch then I am with the presence of the words rolex/patek/audemars/breitling/etc. on the face.

I bought my Omega 300M SMP asia7750 because I couldn't find a mechanical chronograph which had a similar style (I LOVE the look of that watch!) and water resistance. If I could have found an exact replica of the SMP chrono w/ an ETA 7750 and similar water resistance (200-300M) ... but ... was named something unknown, I would have bought it (and paid up to $1000 for it). I'm not into brands, I'm into getting the best "bang for my buck", which is almost always never the really expensive name brands. Hell, Rolex admits to creating artifically high prices when their products could be sold for far less and still turn a profit.

Personally, I don't think people buy Rolexes, Cartiers and other big names because they're into watches. I think they buy them because they want other people to know they spent a lot of money on their watch. Sort of like buying jewelry that just happens to tell the time. More "show" than "go".

However ... I must admit that I can understand paying 40-100(+) thousand dollars for the "Grand Complications" models. These are truly rare, unique, special, beautiful, exquisitely complex masterpieces of horological art. A rolex-quality "other-name" watch can be had for $1000. Not so for the Patek, IWC, Audemars, etc. grand complications. Only the extremely talented artisans at these companies are capable of making these types of watches. But rolex? Wow, who else could possibly make a watch capable of telling the time, date *and* the day!! Or their GMT model ... who else could possibly make this extremely sophisticated complication. Well worth the $7000.

Pugwash,

Where did you buy your Pam 187 from? (chronograph w/ diver bezel) Very cool looking watch! Is it a real Pam or a replica? Also, why do people call them Pams and not Pans???? Pam is a woman w/ big taters who can swallow musician bratwurt whole or the cooking spray I use.

Firstly, I bought my 187 from RiverwindMDS, second hand. It's a rep of course. Secondly, we call them PAMxxx where the xxx is the model number because ... um, that's what Panerai call them. I believe it's short for Panerai Model.

"Taters, poh ... tay ... toes"

This morning, I dragged the 187 across the floor and lumped it into the watch box, seeking something lighter.

I pondered for all of 3 seconds and grabbed this. It would have been longer than 3 seconds, but that's as long as it took for me to notice the 1680 is in pieces. :D

201752-1477.jpg

201752-1478.jpg

Bigmouth,

I agree, the Hublot Big Bang is a seriously cool looking watch. Your replica is an amazingly accurate reproduction (assuming yours is a rep). I've seen pictures of the case back and that looks pretty darn accurate as well.

BTW, how is your movement working? I've read conflicting reports on the accuracy, operation and durability of the new 28,800 beat Asian 7750 movement.

Yes it's a replica. Bought it from Angus. Amazing watch. I have a few watches with the asian 7750 movement and have no problems with them at all. The 7750 from the hublot is the most accurate one for me, it has >7 seconds a day out of the box.

The wristcheck that would not die!

Ok, today, I decided to put away the vintage Rolexes, the Fiddies and Planet Oceans (the hard-core diver watches) and put on Ol' Faithful, the Ziggified Frankenfied Puggified IWC GST Chrono. Something to remind me 99.5% accurate Frankens can be finished for under $600 with no need to resort to a file, 600-grade sandpaper and a block of jeweller's rouge on a dremel buffer wheel.

202223-1393.jpg

202223-1394.jpg

202223-1395.jpg

202223-1396.jpg

202223-1397.jpg