When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My New Exp Ii **big Pictures**

mike g

Hey all. My beautiful Exp. II arrived last week from Andrew in great shape. [Along with a Nice ladies' J12- pics to follow]

I took a 3- hour break at work sometime last week. Grabbed a Chai Latte, pack of smokes and took a nice morning walk on the beach.

-Mike

Enjoy:

202103-1416.jpg

202103-1417.jpg

202103-1418.jpg

202103-1419.jpg

202103-1420.jpg

202103-1421.jpg

202103-1422.jpg

202103-1423.jpg

Great photos! :)

The dreamlike surrondings suit the Explorer style.

The white dial Explorer II is one of my favourite watches. I don't have one myself yet, but half a year ago, I bought one for a friend, from Andrew as well.

Here is a picture of that one, compared to the catalogue pic. The crown and crown guards are obviously smaller on the gen, otherwise it is a very good rep.

202134-1411.jpg

Is the GMT arrow too big or is the gen that way?

After watching this:

I guess andrew's supplier sent me the WRONG version. I ordered the Hour Hand adjustable version, but received the GMT hand version. Not the end of the world, but I'm out the $20 difference. I'm guessing the $228 version would have had the correct crown though. I've yet to email Andew, but I'm planning on it. Still VERY happy with the watch- My PO isn't getting the wrist time it deserves ;-)

My Observations:

GMT hand:

1. The red is too dark, which makes the hand look thicker.

2. The arrow seems to reach further than the GEN IMO

Crystal:

1. A bit too short

2. I've noticed an ever so slight bevel on all GEN sapphire xtals. That is, the transition from the flat top to the beveled part is actually rounded.

Crown

1. Crown is too thick

2. The outside is completely flat (side w/ coronet) There's no bevel to it at all.

I love the Explorer II- It's the low-key Rolex that only "those in the know" will recognize from across the room. When I was in highshcool, the local AD gave me the "Rolex Stories" brochure- as well as many other nice catalogs. The EXP II was my original "dream watch"

When I have the money, It'll be my first GEN purchase. I actually PREFER the previous 16570 with the lug holes. It conveys more of the utilitarian role of this watch.

Oh, and I'm working on quitting smoking hehe- and yes, I've watched the "quit smoking and buy a rolex video" B)

-Mike

Mike,

Although it's an excellent rep, the things that bother me most about mine are the crown an the crown guards. The crown guards are too tall, and they don't have the correct profile. Here are a couple of reference pictures from Timezone, to show you what I mean (notice how the CGs stop at about the height of the crown bevel, making them appear to be wider, and less pointy. Also look at how the CGs are not symmetrical when viewed from the side, but actually "slope up" from the bottom of the case):

202577-1344.jpg

Profile:

202577-1345.jpg

These issues should be pretty easy to correct.

I also notice the the rep does not have the bevel on the edge of the lugs...this will be a bit harder to fix...

It looks to me the adjustable GMT hand version has the top of crown flush with the case while the correct hand stack version has its crown perfectly centered on the case when viewed from the side. I got correct hand stack version from Andrew too and in my opinion the best Rolex replica there is. Another thing is the metal around the pin hole of the GMT hand is too much. The correct hand stack version's movement however is giving me problem already after a couple of months of use. The hour hand has slowed by an hour. I reset it and let it run for a day. Same thing happened. I think the modification on 2836 tries to do too much, tries to be like the gen. When you adjust the hour hand, it advances in one hour increment. There's a soft click when you turn the crown. There's some free play meaning you can advanced 1 hour and a little more. The movement will self-correct the free play later. I think that's too complicated to copy. I wish they just make the hour hand freely adjustable. The movement will likely to last longer.

-bm

What you said is correctable on the correct hand stack version. The crown on the rep actually sits too far from the bezel. You remove the crown and the crown tube, sand down the bottom of the U of the CGs so it's just a bit away from the bezel edge. Now sand the CGs' profile like the 2nd pic. You will create a new breakline, one that is closer to the bezel. With the U deeper, the crown sits closer to the bezel and the CGs are actually sticking out of the crown more. Now you sand down the CGs and they will have the exact width on the ends as the gen. I'm about to do this mod.

-bm

Mike,

Although it's an excellent rep, the things that bother me most about mine are the crown an the crown guards. The crown guards are too tall, and they don't have the correct profile. Here are a couple of reference pictures from Timezone, to show you what I mean (notice how the CGs stop at about the height of the crown bevel, making them appear to be wider, and less pointy. Also look at how the CGs are not symmetrical when viewed from the side, but actually "slope up" from the bottom of the case):

202583-1342.jpg

Profile:

202583-1343.jpg

These issues should be pretty easy to correct.

I also notice the the rep does not have the bevel on the edge of the lugs...this will be a bit harder to fix...

It looks to me the adjustable GMT hand version has the top of crown flush with the case while the correct hand stack version has its crown perfectly centered on the case when viewed from the side. I got correct hand stack version from Andrew too and in my opinion the best Rolex replica there is. Another thing is the metal around the pin hole of the GMT hand is too much. The correct hand stack version's movement however is giving me problem already after a couple of months of use. The hour hand has slowed by an hour. I reset it and let it run for a day. Same thing happened. I think the modification on 2836 tries to do too much, tries to be like the gen. When you adjust the hour hand, it advances in one hour increment. There's a soft click when you turn the crown. There's some free play meaning you can advanced 1 hour and a little more. The movement will self-correct the free play later. I think that's too complicated to copy. I wish they just make the hour hand freely adjustable. The movement will likely to last longer.

-bm

Very good summary. I don't have many Rolexes on my "must have" list but the white ExpII is there. I also think the new replica version is visually excellent... and the only thing that prevents me from getting one are the movement issues you just described. Ziggy made a review of the movement & this modification and it appears to be problematic.

My old GMT rep (with ETA 2836-2 and wrong hand stack) has been bullet proof for almost 2 years now. Perhaps they could maintain the correct hand stack in ExpII and just drop the extra modification? I'd buy one immediately.

Very good summary. I don't have many Rolexes on my "must have" list but the white ExpII is there. I also think the new replica version is visually excellent... and the only thing that prevents me from getting one are the movement issues you just described. The Zigmeister made a review of the movement & this modification and it appears to be problematic.

My old GMT rep (with ETA 2836-2 and wrong hand stack) has been bullet proof for almost 2 years now. Perhaps they could maintain the correct hand stack in ExpII and just drop the extra modification? I'd buy one immediately.

Joe (he modded my Explorer II and he has one himself) said the movement isn't like what The Zigmeister reviewed. It doesn't have the 2 awfully sheet metal holding the geers. I'll take some pics for everybody later. Had they just put the hour pin and gear in like they do for the GMT hand in the adjustable GMT hand movement, without the one-hour increment mechanism, it will be a simpler and more reliable mod. I have 2 modded 4 hand asian movements that haven't given me any trouble for a couple of years now. When I go to ShenZhen in April, I'm gonna have my favorite watchsmith there get rid of the extra mod in my correct hand stack movement. I really think that's doable.

-bm

-bm

It's the little details that are beginning to bother me...I never even noticed the crown vs. center of case problem. That's an other thing to add to the list, which is impossible to correct. I'm going to butcher some of my $30 sub and GMT reps before I tackle the nicer stuff. I've got a wierd RED 1680 "hybrid" with a nice tropic but a RED dial that reads "swiss made" Oh, and the case doesn't have lug holes!

On a side note/tangent:

[TANGENT]

I visited the Local "UAD" (UN-Authorized Dealer) ....Costco! They had a beautiful Omega Speedmaster Chrono, which I promptly tried on. I love the height of the Xtal on that watch. The whole watch felt rather light (in comparison to my 45mm PO) It looked like the crown didn't screw down either. Odd. They also had a nice Black Chanel J12 Superleggra- which sat on the wrist for a minute. Nice watches, but I can't afford a $4999 watch at the moment. My GF was drooling over the GEN J12 w/pink diamonds (She's got the mid-grade full ceramic w/ "diamond" bezel from Andrew)

[/TANGENT]

Thanks for the info guys- I've been over on RWI for a bit. It's nice to get a warm welcome over here @ RWG.

-Mike

Edited by mike g

Quick Question Mike: (... since you nice pics are sort of artistic , cant tell).

Are the rings around the dots hours marks "true black" or sort of "dark gun grey" color ??

In most of theses reps , the rings around the dots are "gun grey color" and not true black.

Beautiful pictures. The white dial EXP II was my dream watch as well. As a matter of fact, it's the reason I found RWG.

I searched and searched and picked up I don't know how many different versions of both the white and black dial. I finally settled on one, a black dial with an eta 2893 in it. There are loads of flaws. Bezel font, hand stack, crown guards a little off, crystal doesn't sit high enough, date font is a bit off. Still, you know what. I don't care. I love the way it looks and the movement! I won't wear it to an AD, but it's the EXP II, no one is going to call it out. Of course, being a climber helps make it convincing. I really wanted the white dial, but the dealer only had the black dial left with the 2893 so I took it. Far and away the best rep I own, my absolute favorite. I'm getting ready to pick up a gen, probably next year. I think I'll go with the black dial instead of the white. I found it easier to read in the dark as well as in very bright conditions, like a snow covered mountain. I'm glad RWG helped me figure that out before I went and bought the gen.

Here's a pic. (Not mine, I saved it from the dealer.)

202692-1320.jpg

Quick Question Mike: (... since you nice pics are sort of artistic , cant tell).

Are the rings around the dots hours marks "true black" or sort of "dark gun grey" color ??

In most of theses reps , the rings around the dots are "gun grey color" and not true black.

The markers are a gun-metal grey color. Under normal "workplace" light, they look fine, but daylight reveals all. They look a bit too light.

I've almost abandoned my other reps- now it's just the 45.5mm PO and my EXP getting all the wrist time.

I'll post my other photoshoot of the PO and 1680 from andrew here.

-Mike