When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Geography Lessons In America

jonthebhoy

I'd find this map funny if I didn't still meet many rednecks who think that the world revolves around the USA.

The culture, civilization, legal system, free economy and language was transported there from Europe just a while ago. For some weird reason lots of Lukes and Bubbas somehow visualize that these great things are all invented in the US... in a country that's just a few hundred years old for Chrissakes!!! I find that almost hilarious.

Nothing against America though... great country. I just despise the arrogant rednecks (regardless of their nationality).

Ummmmmmmm, be careful that those rednecks don't hear you say that.

202277-1372.jpg

Looks like the local pie eating contest winner got himself a BIG GUN. How masculine... what would Freud say? :lol:

I'd find this map funny if I didn't still meet many rednecks who think that the world revolves around the USA.

The culture, civilization, legal system, free economy and language was transported there from Europe just a while ago. For some weird reason lots of Lukes and Bubbas somehow visualize that these great things are all invented in the US... in a country that's just a few hundred years old for Chrissakes!!! I find that almost hilarious.

Nothing against America though... great country. I just despise the arrogant rednecks (regardless of their nationality).

I am sure you do not mean it this way, but to at least me, that is like saying "... not you guys though, you're one of the good ones"

Look, generalizations suck doesn't matter who you are referring too.. A joke is fine, you need to be a sport about things, but honestly, i found the "Lukes and Bubbas' comment to be a bit unfortunate.

This is the Humour Forum...

There are plenty of other places on the Board to get serious and cop an attitude...

If you don't like Humour then don't visit here...

TT

I had no problem with the humor.. my response to johtheboy was (an apparently poor) attempt at humor as well... as if to reinforce the notion of the US centric american by suggesting the map looked fine to me. Sorry if it did not come accross that well. I have already pm'ed an apology to him

The comment from By-tor was not humorous.. in fact he said words to that effect when he implied that he would find it funny if it were not true... i do not think it was intended to be offensive, but those statements were not said in jest, and using lables like "Bubba" in a non-joking fashion are no more appropriate than making similar comments about folks who live in eurpean, or asian countries.

I will get off my soapbox now. This will be my last response to this post regardless of what else is said.

I had no problem with the humor.. my response to johtheboy was (an apparently poor) attempt at humor as well... as if to reinforce the notion of the US centric american by suggesting the map looked fine to me. Sorry if it did not come accross that well. I have already pm'ed an apology to him

The comment from By-tor was not humorous.. in fact he said words to that effect that he would find it funny if it were not true... i do not think it was intended to be offensive, but those statements were not said in jest, and using lables like "Bubba" in a non-joking fashion are no more appropriate than making similar comments about folks who live in eurpean, or asian countries.

I will get off my soapbox now. This will be my last response to this post regardless of what is said.

Agree. Well said Edd...

Edited by dak244

Alas, the foibles of internet communication - misinterpretation of emotions and misunderstanding of sensibilities. Let's not get into a political argument. If the joke offends anyone (and I know now that it doesn't offend eddhead ;) ) then I'll remove it.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry alone." Someone once said.

JTB

@eddhead: I think you're a bit too sensitive. Take a virtual Kleenex here mate...

The initial joke was apparently directed at the uneducated Americans. If it was directed at uneducated Europeans I would have responded accordingly. If you think that I was calling Americans generally dumb you need to work on your reading comprehension problem. And I don't find the name "Bubba" offensive at all. The British equivalent would be "Butcher Sam". :lol:

202333-1364.jpg

@eddhead: The rednecks do exist... and they're an international phenomenon. We Europeans definitely have our share too. They're just called "football fans" here. :lol:

202342-1363.jpg

thanks for the reply... .ok THIS is my last post!!

What I want to know is, why do the police in European football games have exclamation marks on their helmets?

The mysteries of the sport! It's a good thing Beckham is here now to explain it all.

:tu:

I think the real question is why police is needed in the football games in the first place. Actually I find it funny that the players act like primadonnas and get "injured" on the field when someone even remotely touches them... but the fans are more violent and aggressive than in any sport. That's why I love hockey, it's a man's sport. All fights stay in the rink. :)

And Beckham isn't as bad as people think... he's no Maradona...but he's actually a useful player. The English national team could still use him... and L'Oreal too, I'm sure. :lol:

What I want to know is, why do the police in European football games have exclamation marks on their helmets?

The mysteries of the sport! It's a good thing Beckham is here now to explain it all.

:tu:

Ok, I tried to see the joke.. I couldn't. (this might be 'cause of the language barrier and my online english-norse translator acting up) So I'm now going to explain it in a way that won't seem lecturing (some of you might want to work on this btw):

"I thought those were the loop and press-on button thingies for their goggle straps.."

If I offended you Nanuq, or any of the others here on the board, I apologize.

-TG-

Well I laughed initially..........................now I'm just confused :blink:

Ken

How can that be... a humor thread posted to the humor section for us humorless people. But in the end of the day... I don't think it's difficult to see the humor in this.

But of course... all humor should be "politically correct" these days. Also without any taste, smell or flavour. Hey... that sounds a lot like the Scandinavian political system. (I hope this isn't considered as a bigoted/racist statement here.) :D

So I'm now going to explain it in a way that won't seem lecturing (some of you might want to work on this btw):

-TG-

am i the only one who sees the irony in that statement?

Joke, I am JOKING!!!

Ok I am done.. REALLY!!