When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does Anyone Know What This Is?

Danny

202417-1354.jpg

My dad got it as a company gift from GTE (now Verizon) for 20 years with the company. The markings on the case back are a big "GTE" in the middle, and "Stainless steel case and back 955.132 water resistant 10 ATM" around the circumference (what does the ATM stand for, anyway?). It's clearly a knock-off of a Rolex DayDate, but does anyone know what the manufacturer is and what it might be worth? I'm not considering selling it or anything, just sort of curious.

Yes it does look like a knock off, the 10 ATM refers to the depth that it has been water tested too and I would be inclined to treat this as just water resistant.

Is it quartz? If so it's value could be anywhere from $20 at Wal-Mart to a couple of hundred dollars at a jewelers.

Ken

My dad got it as a company gift from GTE (now Verizon) for 20 years with the company. The markings on the case back are a big "GTE" in the middle, and "Stainless steel case and back 955.132 water resistant 10 ATM" around the circumference (what does the ATM stand for, anyway?). It's clearly a knock-off of a Rolex DayDate, but does anyone know what the manufacturer is and what it might be worth? I'm not considering selling it or anything, just sort of curious.

I'd be [censored] of my company gave that to me as a gift...... :angry:

.....Just Kiddin' :thumbsupsmileyanim:

ATM is atmosphere, as in atmospheric pressure. Scientifically I think it’s a lot more complicated than this, but for the sake of diving, I believe 1 ATM = 10 meters, meaning a watch that is rated to 10 ATM could theoretically withstand the pressure at 300 ft below the surface….or, maybe, if 1 ATM is sea level, then 10 ATM is actually 270 feet…I guess…who knows...

A watch like this can be ordered from a company that supplies corporate novelties - award plaques, pens, key fobs, mouse pads, coffe mugs with company logo. You get the idea.

A few years ago I was asked to come up with a watch similar to this with my employer's logo and a safety slogan on the dial. It was to be an award for employees working safely without an accident. I chose a style exactly like your dad's but all SS, with the dark blue face. It was going to look pretty sharp but upper management decided on an all gold one with gold dial, it ended up looking very conservative, nothing special. Each one cost about $95 I think.

Wow, a $95.00 replica for 20 yrs service for a forutne 500 company. Shows how much they car about their employees.

Well if you think about it it really isn't all that bad. Some places don't give you anything except a pink slip so they can replace you with 2 younger guys that probably still don't equal up to your salary.

What ever happened to "It's the thought that counts"

Well if you think about it it really isn't all that bad. Some places don't give you anything except a pink slip so they can replace you with 2 younger guys that probably still don't equal up to your salary.

What ever happened to "It's the thought that counts"

In this instance would have been better served to give your father a gift certificate to Applebee's

ATM is atmosphere, as in atmospheric pressure. Scientifically I think it’s a lot more complicated than this, but for the sake of diving, I believe 1 ATM = 10 meters, meaning a watch that is rated to 10 ATM could theoretically withstand the pressure at 300 ft below the surface….or, maybe, if 1 ATM is sea level, then 10 ATM is actually 270 feet…I guess…who knows...

In swimming and diving, pressure is given not only by the depth, but also by the movements of the swimmer / diver and other issues. In addition, the 1 ATM pressure of air at the sea level must be taken in account.

In the end, a 10 ATM watch is good for swimming, but not for diving.

In swimming and diving, pressure is given not only by the depth, but also by the movements of the swimmer / diver and other issues. In addition, the 1 ATM pressure of air at the sea level must be taken in account.

In the end, a 10 ATM watch is good for swimming, but not for diving.

Do you mean cliff diving or deep sea diving?

Do you mean cliff diving or deep sea diving?

You may guess it from the (rightmost) pic in my signature :D

Normal scuba diving, down to -60m max.

or, maybe, if 1 ATM is sea level, then 10 ATM is actually 270 feet…I guess…who knows...

1ATM is 10M underwater. 10ATM is 100M underwater, unless it's a Citizen, who are the only nutters to use the 1ATM is sea-level measurement.

Here's Seiko's depth chart

204533-809.png