When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai 1950: Some Pictures To Share With You All

Stephane

Hi All,

In the topic My So Called Perfect Sub, Freeman wanted me to shoot some other watch than a Rolex.

So, here it is.

This watch was bought in june 2006 to a german dealer, long before I discovered RWG.

It was my third rep, and I really love it.

I got a BOB band for it and also got the box from eBay.

I'd love the experts opinion on the watch but also on the box: it was sold to me as a genuine (the box).

I'm not that proud of the photos. I still have to buy lights and create some shooting "area".

It is really hard to get rid of the reflects...

Cheers

Stephane

203957-971.jpg

203957-972.jpg

203957-973.jpg

203957-974.jpg

203957-975.jpg

203957-976.jpg

203957-977.jpg

203957-978.jpg

203957-979.jpg

203957-980.jpg

203957-981.jpg

203957-982.jpg

203957-983.jpg

203957-984.jpg

203957-985.jpg

203957-986.jpg

203957-987.jpg

203957-988.jpg

203957-989.jpg

203957-990.jpg

203957-991.jpg

203957-992.jpg

203957-993.jpg

203957-994.jpg

203957-995.jpg

203957-996.jpg

Lovely photos - and what a nice box to go w/ your 1950 - I'm envious! :)

The 1950 is one of the best to photograph, IMO.

ps thanks Ziggy!

Wow that is a very very nice photo Brad

I'll try to make one tonight ;-)

About the box: I was mad enough to pay 142€ / 186$

I wouldn't do that again and sincerely hope this one is gen

Yup, the dial is quite a bit off. Dial txt is of incorrect font size shape and letter spacing. Numerals cutouts are also bigger than standard, resulting in 'recessed' 45 sec marker on the second subdial.

Crown and CG lever are non-standard, strap buckle neither...

Some of die-hard Fiddy rep collectors will "kill" for that caseback with a tottaly unusual serial, nice one for sure :)

Mate, not trying to put you down or sometning really, but since you asked for opinions...:)

This must be one of those early Fiddy reps before the rep manufacturers agreed on gen Fiddy standards and dimensions.

The box looks gen, but hard to say for sure from photos.

cheers,

babola

Mate, not trying to put you down or sometning really, but since you asked for opinions...:)

This must be one of those early Fiddy reps before the rep manufacturers agreed on gen Fiddy standards and dimensions.

The box looks gen, but hard to say for sure from photos.

cheers,

babola

Hey Babola,

I am more than happy to get opinions, including yours. Remember I got this watch 7 months before discovering RWG.

So, because I like this model, I really want to know what I should do: try to fix this one or buy another one ?

FYI: I'm not a mod freak. I'm only loving getting the as close as possible one rep without entering the crazyness of gen parts.

Bonsoir...

Stephane

Hey Babola,

I am more than happy to get opinions, including yours. Remember I got this watch 7 months before discovering RWG.

So, because I like this model, I really want to know what I should do: try to fix this one or buy another one ?

FYI: I'm not a mod freak. I'm only loving getting the as close as possible one rep without entering the crazyness of gen parts.

Bonsoir...

Stephane

Cheers, PM sent...

babola

Hey Babola,

Bonsoir...

Stephane

If you ask this way... Buy a new one - there's so much to fix at your watch, it would be cheaper and better to buy a new, actual one.

You're welcome.

But you still have a very nice watch ! It may not be very accurate, but you can modify it to a custom watch with very small effort !

For example: clean the dial and repaint it matte-black, sand away the Reg. T.M. from the Crownguard, remove the stick-on plates from the movement and you'll have a clean custom watch without the necessarity to be accurate...

Just some Ideas... ;)

The watch is very nice. Doesn’t look like a gen 127, but it’s a cool looking piece. Box is also nice. The emblems are correct, the hinges are correct, the black, mat color of the inside is correct, the magnetic latch/clasp looks good, and the aesthetic is appropriate. The only two possible discrepancies I can see are the color of the wood (seems too light, but might just be the result of photo exposure), and the black felt-like material that covers the watch (the piece with Officine Panerai on it). I can’t put my finger on what’s funky about it, just doesn’t look exactly right. The only other thing is that it’s not the right box for a Fiddy…special edition boxes are almost twice the size of the standard ones…this one is standard, Fiddy is special edition.

Regarding your question about modding this one or getting a new one, depends on whether you like THIS watch or not. If it fits well and you’re happy with it, keep it and get something different. If you’re looking for the best possible Fiddy rep, don’t spend the effort and $$ on this one…start over and get the best and latest model from one of the dealers here…nothing’s perfect, but some of them are getting pretty darn close.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
my suggestion, dump that fiddy and get a better looking one.

that dial is horrible and so is that buckle. the crown is tooooooo thin.

wrong movement too.

the only good thing is the case back, and box.

my 2 cents.

:wounded1: Yes, that is what I decided ! I posted a new topic in the Panerai area to ask you experts to show me which one I should get !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, that was great, Stephane! Vaguely like a striptease...ta da da da, ta da da da...boom! boom! too doo boom! Boob shot! But classy, mind -- the Dita von Teese of posts.

Very nice indeed. My fave shot was the fold-over strap buckle/movement, 24.jpg.

• 2 months later...