When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steelfish V Steelfish

colinmgzt

Just a quick comparison of Angus`s Black SF to a Gen white version

This is a cracking rep, very good in most areas but still has some flaws, which

in my opinion could be sorted relatively easily.

1. Pearl.... the rep pearl is almost twice the size of the gen, which is a shame as the pearl ring

is almost identical to the gen.

2. The biggest difference I can see are the 3 hour markers.

On the gen the markers are almost flat as opposed to raised on the rep, both are mirror finish,

but the reps appear to be slightly larger, more bulbous in finish,

the gen is 8 months old, I dont know if the newest SF have this style of marker so I could be wrong on this point.

3. The tail on the S on Superocean is straight on the rep while having a slight curve on the gen.

4 Case is very good, minor details are the horns are more pointy on the rep and there is slightly more curve

on the outside edge of the gen. Bezel is excellent, font is good, size and engraving are spot on.

The only other thing I can see is on the rep dial there seems to be minor distortions on the dial

where the numbers/markers have been attached. It seems more pronounced on the black face than on the other colours.

Apart from the above, this is a step up in rep quality, and with the proven water resistance (10bar) well

worth adding to your collections.

Some quick pics

204075-920.jpg

204075-921.jpg

204075-922.jpg

204075-923.jpg

204075-924.jpg

204075-925.jpg

Bugger batteries died before I could get the rep case back shot

cheers colin

Biggest difference that I've spotted between my blue dial rep and the gen I saw in an AD this morning is how well the lume is applied to the circular hour markers. On the gen the lume is smooth and seems perfectly circular, precisely filling the hour marker. On the rep the lume seems 'lumpy' and not perfectly circular. This is fairly easy to spot with the naked eye (rather than with a loupe), but only of you are looking for it. It's the only modification which I think I might consider in the future.

The one thing which is most noteworthy about the rep (amongst many good things) is the quality of the AR - most of the time the crystal seem to be missing as there are almost no reflections whatsoever. It's quite spooky!

Yeah... I think I'll get the blue. God knows that I have enough black dial sports watches. :)

lol , i know the feeling, but i did buy both white and blue and i gave the white to a friend and kept the blue , and it is cool , i think u will love it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

joe

so colin , do u think the rep as the same ar coating as your gen. ?

also does the lume on the gen. when looking at it without glow, look like it is glossy white in color or matte white in color? meaning does it have a shine to the marker paint ? i saw the genuine but it was not the plus in person and it looked like a high gloss shiney look to it , but by looking at pics of this particular model it appears to be like a not shiney bright white color when not glowing , just wondering what u see?

thanks

joe

Hi Joe

Thanks for the comments

The Ar is very good on the rep, there does seem to be a slight difference in shade

with the gen having an almost pinky hue compared to rep which is more purple.

The Lume on the gen is off-white in colour but is glossy smooth even under a loupe

When I took the pics it was on a windowsill and the lume had charged slightly

the rep is close, but I think the main difference imo is the consistancy of the lume

it is very grainy even on the hands . application on mine looks ok from even quite close up

bit under a loupe its not good, very uneven in the rings and very course.

Again , unless you wear loupe`s for specs, its hard to notice, on mine anyway.

hope this helps

wa wa wee wa, steelfish veryy niiice!

Nice to see the comparison, I am going for the white rep myself.. got too many black dial watches atm and I feel the white one looks the "sportiest" :)

I would like to see a comparison with the white one as well - or perhaps i`ll try to make one myself at the local ad!

sexyytiime

Hi Joe

Thanks for the comments

The Ar is very good on the rep, there does seem to be a slight difference in shade

with the gen having an almost pinky hue compared to rep which is more purple.

The Lume on the gen is off-white in colour but is glossy smooth even under a loupe

When I took the pics it was on a windowsill and the lume had charged slightly

the rep is close, but I think the main difference imo is the consistancy of the lume

it is very grainy even on the hands . application on mine looks ok from even quite close up

bit under a loupe its not good, very uneven in the rings and very course.

Again , unless you wear loupe`s for specs, its hard to notice, on mine anyway.

hope this helps

Colin,

I'm sending my blue steelfish off to The Zigmeister to get relumed. Can you please answer one thing for me? Are the triangle and square markers on the retaining ring part lumed on the gen steelfish? I read somewhere that they are. If so I plan on getting The Zigmeister to do that part too.

Thanks,

-- m

Hi,

as most readers of this topic, I think that could be my next rep. Finishing looks good, especially for the price.

But always the same old problem for me : size ! De pending on how the dial is, I can wear some 44 mm watches, but not always.

Would someone be kind enough and let me know the size :

- of the dial itself (that makes most of the size feeling on your wrist, at a first glance)

- of the edge between the crown and the dial

- and finally the diameter, crown included.

Thx a lot to whom will loose some minutes for me :)