When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2 Kilos In 5 Days!

Dutchy

Ok, so a while ago I figured I wanted to lose some pounds, I was snacking occassionally (never sweet candy but sometimes chips and beers and stuff) and I figured I would check an easy way to lose weight,

Anyway, I went on the net and there were tons of ways of still eating normally and losing weight, but then I would have to eat the same thing (nearly everyday) and I didn't want that.

So instead I chose this:

- Toast in the morning with ham and cheese changed to toast with jam.

- Snacks like chips and beer changed to the occassional beer and cranberry/orange juice.

- Eat a normal lunch (sandwich or something), a big dinner with salad, a piece of chicken/meat and potatos, etc (normal dinner for me)

I have, becasue of this lost a total of 2 kilos (4.4 pounds about) in 5 days.......I have not exercised in this time, just a normal day.

Crazy huh? It sure made my day!

I am 6'2 (1.88m) and went from 92kg to an even 90kg, still have a little to go, but its one hell of a start. And this is something I'm enjoying, two toasts with jam is much better on my stomach in the morning than ham and cheese.

And I still get my coffee, and enjoy it way more without sugar (I never put much in, but it wakes me up more without sugar).

Changing a diet will have that effect. The only problem is you will only loose so much that way.

What happened is your body is used to burning so many calories a day, lets for numbers sake say your old diet was in the neighborhood of 3000 calories a day, your new diet is at about 2000 calories per day. So your body is used to burning the 3000 a day and will continue to do that so you effectively burn a little under a pound a day.

The problem with this is eventually, probably within a week or two your body will realize that you are taking in less calories and then it will start to burn less so you will not loose any more weight. So in about 3 weeks when you realize that you are not loosing anymore weight you will pull away from your new diet as most frustrated people do and go back to your old habits. You will up your calorie consumption back to 3000 a day on your new system that will only burn 2000 a day. Now you will put all the weight you lost back on and possibly more.

Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about! Except my habits will NOT change, it's making me feeel better in the morning. I used to come to school with an upset stomach, because of the ham and cheese sandwich, now I changed that. Furthermore, coffee without sugar tastes a crap lot better now and my dinner meals remain the same as do my lunches.

Changing a diet will have that effect. The only problem is you will only loose so much that way.

What happened is your body is used to burning so many calories a day, lets for numbers sake say your old diet was in the neighborhood of 3000 calories a day, your new diet is at about 2000 calories per day. So your body is used to burning the 3000 a day and will continue to do that so you effectively burn a little under a pound a day.

The problem with this is eventually, probably within a week or two your body will realize that you are taking in less calories and then it will start to burn less so you will not loose any more weight. So in about 3 weeks when you realize that you are not loosing anymore weight you will pull away from your new diet as most frustrated people do and go back to your old habits. You will up your calorie consumption back to 3000 a day on your new system that will only burn 2000 a day. Now you will put all the weight you lost back on and possibly more.

Yup, exactly that happened to me... I cut out junk food and fast food entirel, lost weight like you wouldn't believe... but it tapered off... now I have to keep my good diet and go to the gym regularly just to maintain.

My advice... excercise... the only way to keep loosing weight and keep it off is to keep burning as many/more calories as you eat.

@Dutchy

I've got to agree. I don't mean to crap on your success - congratulations, by the way - but that really only will work for a short time. Your plan seems backwards to me - eating lightly in the morning, and increasing the size of your meals throughout the day. I find the greatest success comes from eating a nice sized breakfast, including protein and carbs, and then scaling back as the day goes on. I'm no expert, but I'm 6' (183cm), and I've gone from 267 to 180 (121-81kg). Luckily for you, you're not nearly the size I was :)

Yup, exactly that happened to me... I cut out junk food and fast food entirel, lost weight like you wouldn't believe... but it tapered off... now I have to keep my good diet and go to the gym regularly just to maintain.

My advice... excercise... the only way to keep loosing weight and keep it off is to keep burning as many/more calories as you eat.

I have a free period at school every morning now so off to the gym starting on thursday (I have a french oral on wednesday that I need to practice for). Also have free periods sometimes in the afternoon, will use for football :)

Thanks for the advice!

Good going changing your ways, dutchy!

I started my no-snack policy today, to lose 8kgs before football season starts.

I am lifting more weights though, so that might slow my weight loss down a bit..

BTW: I put on a pedometer (step counter) just for fun before training football.. This was low intensity exercises, just playing ball. The result after 90 minutes: 12.000 paces! I was amazed! Of course, it's not that accurate playing football.. but still!

I play up front as a striker/forward, and I might not be the most mobile guy on the pitch. But all in all, a training session is a good workout.

I wonder how many I'd get out of a league match.

It's obvious you guys have a lot more knowledge on the subject than I do, after all I just cut back on eating [censored] and that's it. It's keeping it low and exercising indeed!

The thing is though, my stomach cannot hold a big breakfast, I just feel sick and ready to throw up if I do (I wake up 20 minutes before I leave for school. So that means quick breakfast, shower, brushing teeth, and checking if I have all my school stuff/homework.

Because of this I just don't have TIME to feel hungry. I get hungry at 1, which is good because our lunch break is at 1:30, then class to 3:30, get home at 4:30, watch a bit of TV do some homework and off to dinner at 7. I then watch a little more TV, finish off work and go to bed.

Because of this routine, I just dont get hungry that often anymore.

@Dutchy

I've got to agree. I don't mean to crap on your success - congratulations, by the way - but that really only will work for a short time. Your plan seems backwards to me - eating lightly in the morning, and increasing the size of your meals throughout the day. I find the greatest success comes from eating a nice sized breakfast, including protein and carbs, and then scaling back as the day goes on. I'm no expert, but I'm 6' (183cm), and I've gone from 267 to 180 (121-81kg). Luckily for you, you're not nearly the size I was :)

Great Work!!!

I generally have low self-esteem at school and get [censored] off there rather easily since GENERALLY people have the maturity of a toddler. Therefore, I need to keep myself occupied. Work, TV, Work is my day. Now I have football coming on too (soccer football I mean) and then as mentioned previously, to the gym starting thursday.

I can;t wait, I'm psyched about the weight loss and want it to remain! I get up easier in the morning, feel better and everything!

Good going changing your ways, dutchy!

I started my no-snack policy today, to lose 8kgs before football season starts.

I am lifing more weights though, so that might slow my weight loss down a bit..

BTW: I put on a pedometer (step counter) just for fun before training football.. This was low intensity exercises, just playing ball. The result after 90 minutes: 12.000 paces! I was amazed! Of course, it's not that accurate playing football.. but still!

I play up front as a striker/forward, and I might not be the most mobile guy on the pitch. But all in all, a training session is a good workout.

I wonder how many I'd get out of a league match.

Because of this routine, I just dont get hungry that often anymore.

Right. But eating when "hungry" is probably not the best strategy. And you don't need a HUGE breakfast. For example, I usually eat a bowl of instant oatmeal with two scoops of protein powder and a handful of raisins thrown in. Takes about 2 minutes to make. Wash that down with a glass of milk and I'm out the door. It's taken me about 5 years to completely overhaul my diet and exercise routine, but I'm finally getting to a healthy weight. Seems to me you just want to drop a few pounds. I was FAT. Obese, really.

I don't mean to crap on your success

By the way, In NO way do I see this as crapping on my success, I see it as you guys aiding me through this.

Thanks tons by the way for the very helpful opinions/suggestions. I'm glad I'm not the only one here working on my weight.

I do want more muscles in my arms though, lifting dumbells to start off and jogging with them (though jogging here is very dangerous I must say).

I WILL GET THERE

What you should do is increase from 3 meals to 6. Eat something small for breakfast, eat something else a few hours later, lunch, snack a few hours later, dinner, etc. You eat 6 smaller meals vs 3 decent size meals and your metabolism will speed up.

If you are just trying to shed pounds the best thing to do would be to get on some type of cardio program. Spinning(variable resistance stationary biking) will work that extra weight off in no time, plus if you could do it after school your body will still be burnning fat till well past dinner time.

I do want more muscles in my arms though

Bets tip you'll ever get: If you want to LOOK like you have really strong arms: Focus on your triceps! Most people who want to look big only focus on their biceps, but it's the tricep that makes your arms look massive.

What you should do is increase from 3 meals to 6. Eat something small for breakfast, eat something else a few hours later, lunch, snack a few hours later, dinner, etc. You eat 6 smaller meals vs 3 decent size meals and your metabolism will speed up.

If you are just trying to shed pounds the best thing to do would be to get on some type of cardio program. Spinning(variable resistance stationary biking) will work that extra weight off in no time, plus if you could do it after school your body will still be burnning fat till well past dinner time.

The thing is there is no real gym program here. I wish there was but there just isn't. I have to wait for uni in England before I can REALLY start cracking.

I know what you mean from 3-6 meals, I have a nutrition bar or something occassionally or some yoghurt or ceral during the day. I generally at school just dont have time for it, we get 2-5 minute breaks in between class, and no food is allowed inside the classroom.

I don't even eat breakfast, never have :)

A lot of it is down to your metabolism, which changes as you get older. I was always slim and for the most part, still am. However when I hit my mid-late 20's I put on a bit of weight on my upper boddy and now have a bit of a belly lol

I am lucky though, as I have never really had to worry about my weight.

I don't even eat breakfast, never have :)

A lot of it is down to your metabolism, which changes as you get older. I was always slim and for the most part, still am. However when I hit my mid-late 20's I put on a bit of weight on my upper boddy and now have a bit of a belly lol

I am lucky though, as I have never really had to worry about my weight.

Hey Mickey,

I dont really worry about it, just would be nice is I lost some, ya know?

I, like you, dont really like breakfast, but I have it anyway due to the concentration needed at my school.

Indeed, I know I will fluctuate in terms of weight, ESPECIALLY AT UNI! Where you can eat either cheap fast food or little good food. Additionally, I can officially join a gym there :)