When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Tubes?

Pugwash

Now, I've got the old tube out of my MBK 1680 Sub and am looking at fitting a Cousins or gen replacement. I can't seem to find a tutorial on what I assumed would be a fairly well-documented task, so I'm asking for any advice and data from anyone so I can compile a guide that will serve all the new owners of these iconic replicas, as we're about to have an influx of members with these watches thanks to the Group Buy.

So, I'm after any information and experiences, in particular with information about what crowns, tubes and tools to use. In discussions with The Zigmeister, I've learned that maybe the Cousins tubes are better than the Genuine Rolex parts and that I need a 7mm Tap. Discussing tapping the case with Mrs Pugwash, as she has way more experience with serious metalwork than I, she expressed concerns over the amount of metal I'd be shaving off if I needed to drill the current threads out prior to tapping. Does anyone know anything about that?

What I shall do is collate all the info presented in this thread into a tutorial that covers crown guards, tubes and crowns in a convenient readable photo-rich article, so please help the community and share what you can, be it links, advice, pics or questions.

Now, I've got the old tube out of my MBK 1680 Sub and am looking at fitting a Cousins or gen replacement. I can't seem to find a tutorial on what I assumed would be a fairly well-documented task, so I'm asking for any advice and data from anyone so I can compile a guide that will serve all the new owners of these iconic replicas, as we're about to have an influx of members with these watches thanks to the Group Buy.

So, I'm after any information and experiences, in particular with information about what crowns, tubes and tools to use. In discussions with The Zigmeister, I've learned that maybe the Cousins tubes are better than the Genuine Rolex parts and that I need a 7mm Tap. Discussing tapping the case with Mrs Pugwash, as she has way more experience with serious metalwork than I, she expressed concerns over the amount of metal I'd be shaving off if I needed to drill the current threads out prior to tapping. Does anyone know anything about that?

What I shall do is collate all the info presented in this thread into a tutorial that covers crown guards, tubes and crowns in a convenient readable photo-rich article, so please help the community and share what you can, be it links, advice, pics or questions.

Pug,

I didn't re-drill before tapping. Simply use a cutting fluid, and run the tap in. Remember to back it out every so often to clear the shavings. Once you run the tap all the way through, clean the tap and case then run it through again....gently.

Now you are ready to install the new tube. make sure you have counter sunk the case for the gen tube to sit flush.

I should have taken som pictures of the 5 I did....but I am a selfish bastard and impatient to boot.

I should be sending your........stuff shortly.

I would be glad to include my tap and Rolex tube insertion tool for your use. Of course, you would have to return them after your project.

Kurt.

I should be sending your........stuff shortly.

I would be glad to include my tap and Rolex tube insertion tool for your use. Of course, you would have to return them after your project.

Fantastic. :D

I'm going to get me a 7mm tap if Mrs Pugwash doesn't find hers tonight. As for the tube insertion tool ... what's that?

I bought my tube install tool from cousins but seem to remember reading that a TORX screwdriver will do the job.

When I changed the tube on my Single RED MBW the new cousins tube screwed straight in without the need to re-tap the hole, maybe I was lucky and have'nt tried since. You do have to countersink the hole though otherwise the crown will sit away from the case when tight.

Cousins tubes seem pretty good to me and inlcude the 3 seals needed.

Good luck!

btw here is the link of the above guy i mentioned , recently he was looking one and i saw people telling him to pay 60 bucks for one so i tried to help save him some money and time

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15372

lmk if anyone needs one , i have a few in stock and they last pretty good and r made of really high grade steel, and i to bought the high dollar one till my supplier of alot of genuine stuff got me on these and beleive me they last as long as any 60 dollar one and they cut really good , i have used them in cutting out a single drilled out hole to make threads with and they held up fine and still maintiain there cutting ability

take care

joe

for the life of me i cant understand this price difference, , i am guessing they dont sell many of them and rely on a larger profit margin, anyway if u need one just contact me and i can send u one out ok

joe

So anyone that can confirm the Torx screwdriver fit those 6mm tubes... which one do I need...

No idea, but I did find that a 7mm tap is NOT what's needed.

Mrs Pugwash kept saying "are you sure it's 7mm? Do you know how big a 7mm tap is? I'm finding it difficult to picture any part of a watch that can fit a 7mm tap ..." but I assured her that it was indeed what was needed. :black_eye:

She got her set of taps and dies out and handed me a 7mm tap. It's a bit big ... a lot big, in fact. It's definitely not what's needed as it's wider than a Sub case. :blink:

If anyone with the right size tap can read out the numbers printed on the side, I'd be grateful. The Cousins tube looks to be a 3mm diameter thread.

No idea, but I did find that a 7mm tap is NOT what's needed.

Mrs Pugwash kept saying "are you sure it's 7mm? Do you know how big a 7mm tap is? I'm finding it difficult to picture any part of a watch that can fit a 7mm tap ..." but I assured her that it was indeed what was needed. :black_eye:

She got her set of taps and dies out and handed me a 7mm tap. It's a bit big ... a lot big, in fact. It's definitely not what's needed as it's wider than a Sub case. :blink:

If anyone with the right size tap can read out the numbers printed on the side, I'd be grateful. The Cousins tube looks to be a 3mm diameter thread.

3 x 0.35

Got one if you need it....

• 5 months later...
Ahem, either I didn't understood the Problem - or you guys just forgot the excellent How-To from The Zigmeister, including all Details...

By the way: The Zigmeisters Description shows a YM - but it's the same Tube/Crown you'll need for your 1680/1665.

Please have a look ---HERE---

unfortunately doesn't work the link.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/How-to-series-In...llie-t1423.html

i can't find the thread "installing a genuine crown and tube on a rollie". :-(

need help :rolleyes:

Edited by 316L