When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some fun info I just found out...

stevie7s

I just had dinner with my old boss. He is from Hong Kong and he owns a jewelry mfg. company there and in China. (Guangzhou Guangdong China) We got to talking about watches and such and he handed me his "new" Yachtmaster to check out. I had never really seen one before up close and was pretty impressed until I unscrewed the crown and viola...no hacking motion. I looked at him and he smirked at me. He said that he and his cousin started a business that manufactures replicas. Now granted...his replica had no hacking motion on his Yachtmaster so Im sure the quality is not of that for the readers of these forums. But none-the-less, its kind of cool to know that he makes them.

I have no idea why I thought you all would want to know this information but...it just got me excited to think that he might be able to someday be the next supplier of :the next big thing in reps"

Thanks all...

Steve

I know it's not the same, but I'd be happy to host a tour of Kentucky Bourbon and Whiskey distilleries :)

Always looking for any flimsy excuse to visit Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Weller, Jim Beam, Booker's, Baker's, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, etc., etc.

We can even cross over into Tennessee to check out Jack Daniels.

Maybe we can try to pretend it's Scotland when the Ryder Cup is played at the Valhalla Course in Louisville.

I just had dinner with my old boss. He is from Hong Kong and he owns a jewelry mfg. company there and in China. (Guangzhou Guangdong China) We got to talking about watches and such and he handed me his "new" Yachtmaster to check out. I had never really seen one before up close and was pretty impressed until I unscrewed the crown and viola...no hacking motion. I looked at him and he smirked at me. He said that he and his cousin started a business that manufactures replicas. Now granted...his replica had no hacking motion on his Yachtmaster so Im sure the quality is not of that for the readers of these forums. But none-the-less, its kind of cool to know that he makes them.

I have no idea why I thought you all would want to know this information but...it just got me excited to think that he might be able to someday be the next supplier of :the next big thing in reps"

Thanks all...

Steve

how fun i wnder what he thinks of the new high quality stuff? whats the word is it a big deal or no does it cause problems there. ect ect

how fun

@ iron.........you're right it's not the same.............not even close.............sorry

@Steve what he tells you he is going to make these rep watches and youdidn't pick his brains?

I mean at the very least I would have said "are you going to use better movements than this?"

Ken

If he made watches then maybe he would consider creating a line of reps to RWG specs. Maybe you could explore this with him.

Usil

Yes that is sure, you should explore that.

I'm sure there is a market for 99,9999999% reps if they stay under 500$

After all, for non chronos at least, if it's possible to make them so close, it should be possible to make exactly the same, isn't it.

Nice story

Thanks for sharing Steve

Stephane

PS: if you want a tour in Belgium I'm afraid we have no scotch but only beers :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I know it's not the same, but I'd be happy to host a tour of Kentucky Bourbon and Whiskey distilleries :)

Always looking for any flimsy excuse to visit Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Weller, Jim Beam, Booker's, Baker's, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, etc., etc.

We can even cross over into Tennessee to check out Jack Daniels.

Maybe we can try to pretend it's Scotland when the Ryder Cup is played at the Valhalla Course in Louisville.

Maybe not the same, but one hell of an alternative! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hmm...let's see...2008...

PS: if you want a tour in Belgium I'm afraid we have no scotch but only beers :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ooh...decisions, decisions!! :lol:

I discovered the delightful world of bourbon about 2 years ago, my favorite is Woodford Reserve. I don't play golf though.

I'd be up for a bourbon tour and RWG GTG.

He might be too visible as a jewelry manufacturer to do anything of significance. If he were to produce a quality replica product, he'd be an easy target.

I did explore the idea of him possibly making a better quality rep as we see on these sites but CrystalCranium is right. His jewelry manufacturing company produces product for several large national stores here in the US. He said the watch business is something that he does to sell to the dealers at the night markets and such.

As some of you will know, in HK there are dozens of shops that carrry high end watches. All of them genuine and they have some beautiful timepieces. A number of them will customize the watch with diamonds and gemstones for an additional cost. He started a company that sells the service of manufacturing diamond and gemstone bezels for ANY watch brand out there.

I guess you could say that he is a real entrepeneur.

When I speak with him again I will talk further about possibly entering the hi-end rep game.

Steve