When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Boycott the Asian7750

2sweetau

Can I boycott after my BCE purchase ??

Seriously though,..

According to our resident master-watchsmith the 7750 is a very hearty movement...

I will take his word over 100 posts to the negative,

Also there must be thousands of 7750 purchases on this board,

however I don't read the same number in complaints...

I have personally owned about 15 or so, worked the chronos, and only had a problem with two,

one had an ever running 12hr hand,..{no big deal} ... the other was Swiss.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been really fortunate. I have a LOT of Chrono's....both old and new movement. My first problem just surfaced on an IWC portuguese chrono. Chrono stops on first revolution of the dial. All the others are fine.

Of course, I don't expect them to run as the Gens. BTW, I have several friends with expensive Gen Chrono's and all have had problems at various times. I guess it's not just a problem with reps?

My 26 month OLD 21.6K Asian 7750 in my 188 is working fine, chrono et al...and I use the crap out of it...it was serviced 2 years ago.

Not ONE (1) Asian 7750 has been returned for warranty that I serviced in the past 12 months - not one. Actually I can only remember 1 Asian 7750 being sent back for warranty work - ever. Dont' even ask about the running seconds at 6 model, we all know the issues with this arrangement.

But when it comes to a standard Asian 7750, from my perspective, I dont' see a problem, certainly no more so that with any of the other movements around...this is of course after I have serviced them.

The fact that I have no returns following service, and these were sent in because they stopped working, well you can do the math...

RG

Problems related to error or neglect? Come on! How many of us WISers really abuse these 7750 abominations? A chrono is designed for a particular purpose. Push a button to start, push a button stop, and push a button to reset. The above arguments stating, "It should be fine if you don't use the chrono" are also absurd. That's like buying a car and not taking it on the freeway. I don't care if you're timing a egg boiling and seeing how long your farts last - what's wrong with that? Use the chrono for its intended purpose. If you simply want the "look" of a chrono - just buy one of the cheap non-functioning versions.

That being said, I have owned two 7750s (recent Navitimers). Both had issues within a week. A local watchsmith tinkered with them and they've been fine ever since. I'm extremely hesitant to purchase another.

Edited by hottoddy

My longest running 21k beat Asian 7750a movement watches are this Breitling SA which I bought when I first came out to Thailand....Aug 2004..it was one of the first ever Asian 7750s.......I have had it serviced only once......I wear it a lot,...not as often as I used to......but it's been everywhere with me.....swimming pools / sauna / cold pool etc etc......hasn't lost a beat.......and no start / stop issues.......came of my motorbike with it on.....it smacked the ground...took some scratches ...which only serves to lend it provenance.....will never sell it.....!

The other is my Panerai 196 Daylight.....same story as above....but bought in early 2005.....21k beat......Asian 7750a......same performance as the Breit........another one I won't sell.......I have and had myriad others....from early to late.......no significant probs.......I believe that some people fall into the category of "mechanically unsympathetic".....The Zigmeister will know what I mean by that....!

216517-15481.jpg

216517-15482.jpg

216517-15483.jpg

216517-15484.jpg

Edited by TTK

A chrono is designed for a particular purpose. Push a button to start, push a button stop, and push a button to reset. The above arguments stating, "It should be fine if you don't use the chrono" are also absurd. That's like buying a car and not taking it on the freeway. I don't care if you're timing a egg boiling and seeing how long your farts last - what's wrong with that? Use the chrono for its intended purpose. If you simply want the "look" of a chrono - just buy one of the cheap non-functioning versions.

AMEN!!

So far I've had 1 Asia 7750 (28,800bph) and 100% failure rate. Had it repaired and serviced and it has been sweet ever since - and the chronos take a bashing!

No one can say they weren't warned about these. If you buy one always factor in the cost of some work. If it doesn't need it then you're quids in (and servicing needn't cost the earth...)

When I buy one I factor in a movement swap. It just slows down the number of reps I buy - at elast that is the theory. :lol: On the boycott thing, good luck. These factories are doing watches in runs of a thousand. We may be a significant portion of some of the dealers' business around here but in the big picture of things we are a pimple on the ass... Remember dealers are happy to sell youa Swiss 7750 for a minimum of $650. ;)

@robert.....I remember that 188......I think those were the best ones.......I got mine riughly about the same time......had the white......settled on the black......!

I do pick good ones......but always remember......they are still reps......meant to look the part.....not perform the part......!

Not ONE (1) Asian 7750 has been returned for warranty that I serviced in the past 12 months - not one.

There's a warranty? :blink:

I'm impressed, I wasn't even aware. :D

By the way, I have 7 chronos, of which one is seconds-at-six (jittery), one is Swiss (7753), one is Manual (ST19), one is my Ziggified IWC GST and three are unserviced Asian 7750s. Of the unserviced 7750s, I have precisely zero problems, the same number as The Zigmeister's returns. In fact, for tomorrow, I think I'll wear one. :D

@robert.....I remember that 188......I think those were the best ones.......I got mine riughly about the same time......had the white......settled on the black......!

I do pick good ones......but always remember......they are still reps......meant to look the part.....not perform the part......!

Yes indeed Neil you do always pick the good ones...these older original versions were the best as far as I am concerned, 2+ years in the running and no problems.

RG

My 26 month OLD 21.6K Asian 7750 in my 188 is working fine, chrono et al...and I use the crap out of it...it was serviced 2 years ago.

Not ONE (1) Asian 7750 has been returned for warranty that I serviced in the past 12 months - not one. Actually I can only remember 1 Asian 7750 being sent back for warranty work - ever. Dont' even ask about the running seconds at 6 model, we all know the issues with this arrangement.

But when it comes to a standard Asian 7750, from my perspective, I dont' see a problem, certainly no more so that with any of the other movements around...this is of course after I have serviced them.

The fact that I have no returns following service, and these were sent in because they stopped working, well you can do the math...

RG

But i don

Brand spanking new IWC GST Chrono Titanium.

Out of the mailing box, initail wind-her-up a bit, then onto the watch winder for two weeks.

Off the winder and on the wrist for two weeks of wear.

At this point now four weeks of continuous running, chrono's not even tested yet.

Try the chrono - works fine - but the 6:00 chrono will not reset at all !!!

ARGHHH - screwed again !!!

I suspect there are many guys just like me in this forum.

Curse their bad luck and say nothing more about it.

At least the watch continues to keep good time.

Another victim of the Asian 7750.

It's NOT the7750......it's the drop shipping......plain and simple...in the rep biz.....you still have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince......!

Edited by TTK

Brand spanking new IWC GST Chrono Titanium.

Out of the mailing box, initail wind-her-up a bit, then onto the watch winder for two weeks.

Off the winder and on the wrist for two weeks of wear.

At this point now four weeks of continuous running, chrono's not even tested yet.

Try the chrono - works fine - but the 6:00 chrono will not reset at all !!!

ARGHHH - screwed again !!!

I suspect there are many guys just like me in this forum.

Curse their bad luck and say nothing more about it.

At least the watch continues to keep good time.

Another victim of the Asian 7750.

I had "somewhat" the SAME results with the SAME watch from XXXXX. Mine tells time for however long it feels like telling time, and then out of the blue it decides to lose 30 minutes in an hour. Nice looking watch, but, the movements a total POS. Me buy a chrono again? Not in my life time, hell no! :angry:

I've avoided the asian 7750 up to this point but will soon buy one I am sure. So without touching on the quality of the movement, I fail to see what a "boycott" would accomplish?

I can hear it now, "Let them eat cake"

Just as we have no recourse for "shoddy" service with some dealers, we have little say in the watches that come our way - there will always be an Oliver Twist begging for more. Just look at the group buys as soon as a new watch is launched, the the inevitable round of complaining when the QC isn't high enough.

Last time I checked the group buys still fill up fast

*Edit - Sorry for the allusions. I didn't mean to sound so...

...annoying