When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

disappointed at SMP

nardis

Hi everyone..

I found this site about a month ago and started buying reps since then..

The first watch I bought was TTK's 3rd gen planet ocean..

And the second one was Andrew's black sub..

Because the quality of these watches being so great, I continued buying more watches..

I read a lot of postings about omega SMP, everybody was saying that this watch is gorgeous..

So I decided to pull the trigger on this one..and I submitted an order to one of the well-known dealers here..

I might be expecting too much for a fake watch..because I am so disappointed about this SMP..

What I am most disappointed at is the quality of its bracelet..

Some joints of the bracelet were not moving smooth..at first I didn't know why..

Anyway, I had to resize the bracelet..so I tried to remove the iron shafts with a driver..

some of them were easily removed..but 2 of them were not moving at all !

These iron shafts are too thick to be fit in the hall..I think in the factory, they inserted these shafts with a hammer.. This was the reason why some joints were not smooth..

So I had very hard time removing these stuck-in shafts with pliers and hammers in my watch tool set..

Other things that I don't like in this watch are bezel pearl and date window.. there was a scratch in the triangular area of the bezel..and pearl is not flat..it's concave ! ...and the date font is not centerd in the window..and the white color of date wheel looks like cheap hardboard paper..

I don't think I've chosen wrong dealer because he is well-known around here and people are still buying from him.. What I want to tell you guys is that the quality of all SMP reps are not always good..

If you are a beginner like me, you should read a lot of postings and ask the dealers about quality of the watch they are selling..or this thing can happen to you..

Edited by nardis

I had similar problems. BUT. I found that oiling the bracelet made it work like a dream. And smothering the strap pins with WD40 oil when resizing them made them come out reasonably enough.

Of all the reps I've bought, the SMP is probably my favourite - it is a really really close replica. And the ETA movement inside is sweet.

Just my 2p's worth....

Hi everyone..

Because the quality of these watches being so great, I continued buying more watches..

I read a lot of postings about omega SMP, everybody was saying that this watch is gorgeous..

So I decided to pull the trigger on this one..and I submitted an order to one of the well-known dealers here..

I might be expecting too much for a fake watch..because I am so disappointed about this SMP..

Some joints of the bracelet were not moving smooth..at first I didn't know why..

Anyway, I had to resize the bracelet..so I tried to remove the iron shafts with a driver..

These iron shafts are too thick to be fit in the hall..I think in the factory, they inserted these shafts with a hammer.. This was the reason why some joints were not smooth..

So I had very hard time removing these stucked-in shafts with pliers and hammers in my watch toolkit..

Other things that I don't like in this watch are bezel pearl and date window.. there was a scratch in the triangular area of the bezel..and pearl is not flat..it's concave ! ...and the date font is not centerd in the window..and the white color of date wheel looks like cheap hardboard paper..

I don't think I've chosen wrong dealer because he is well-known around here and people are still buying from him.. What I want to tell you guys is that the quality of all SMP reps are not always good..

If you are a beginner like me, you should read a lot of postings and ask the dealers about quality of the watch they are selling..or this thing can happen to you..

Hi everyone..

So I had very hard time removing these stucked-in shafts with pliers and hammers in my watch toolkit..

Well... The genuine uses pin not threaded screw... So you can't use your screwdriver to remove it.

Sad to say it but the current SMP's are not the rep they used to be. The quality has dropped noticably in the last 6 months.

See if you can track down an older rep from a member here. They are a lot better.

The problems with adjusting the bracelet on the SMP is well known. With the complex bracelet, it is very difficult to adjust it without the tool.

If you intend to continue to collect watches, you might as well buy one of nariikas cheap tool sets for adjusting bracelets and stuff... . It will save you alot of tears, broken fingernails and watches. :) The tool sets are also very cheap on ebay.

I am lucky enogh to have one of the old, good version SMP... Just love it!

I had similar problems. BUT. I found that oiling the bracelet made it work like a dream. And smothering the strap pins with WD40 oil when resizing them made them come out reasonably enough.

Of all the reps I've bought, the SMP is probably my favourite - it is a really really close replica. And the ETA movement inside is sweet.

Just my 2p's worth....

Thanks, I definitely should try oiling this bracelet..This bracelet sounds like an old closet door.. :thumbdown:

Thanks, I definitely should try oiling this bracelet..This bracelet sounds like an old closet door.. :thumbdown:

hmmmm......

Can't say what you got, but MY smp is one of the most solid, authentic watches I own... Of course It's been upgraded with a genuine dial and hands, but the Bracelet is one of the best I own...

Sorry to hear about your luck.

So I had very hard time removing these stuck-in shafts with pliers and hammers in my watch tool set..

As others have mentioned, you need to get a cheap bracelet resizing tool. Even genuine Omega SMP bracelets are a PITA to resize and they can also be very stiff when new. Trust me, one of the best parts of a SMP rep is the bracelet!

A rep is a rep – not a genuine. You will need to learn to live with these flaws and inconsistencies. IF not, then poke around eBay – you might find a genuine for under $800 if you're lucky.

Guest eddielee11

the best version was the version that came out 2-3 years ago....

in my opinon,,,it is still the best smp to date.....sadly, they stopped the production.... :wounded1::yu:

excellent glow in the dark dot

20400-2403.jpg

decorated movt like original

20400-2404.jpg

20400-2405.jpg

correct engraving

20400-2406.jpg

correct back cap

20400-2407.jpg

anti magnetic trojan sheild

20400-2408.jpg

If you folks are referring to the bracelet pin removal tool that you twist to force the pin out, try to get a hold of a few spare pins for the tool because they are notorious for snapping :(. I have some and am still very careful. I oil down the pins in the bracelet first as mentioned, then gingerly force the pin through the bracelet hole, I stop just when enough of it is out to get my pliers on it, then I pull it out.

If I'm in the market for more watches with pins in the bracelet,I'll consult the Borel catalog again for a better tool. Last I looked, they have much more durable versions of the cheap kind.

Edited by Kerbus

If you folks are referring to the bracelet pin removal tool that you twist to force the pin out, try to get a hold of a few spare pins for the tool because they are notorious for snapping . I have some and am still very careful. I oil down the pins in the bracelet first as mentioned, then gingerly force the pin through the bracelet hole, I stop just when enough of it is out to get my pliers on it, then I pull it out.

If I'm in the market for more watches with pins in the bracelet,I'll consult the Borel catalog again for a better tool. Last I looked, they have much more durable versions of the cheap kind.

I have this one:

From Ofrei

It has worked well. I've adjusted somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 links with it so far (helping out friends and co-workers). I have not (yet!) snapped a pin, but it came with three so I'm still good for a while.