When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finished 1680 Crown Guards

Pugwash

Ok, here we go. This is my Bangkok Best 1680 with modded crown guards and genuine crown/tube. It's been an interesting journey to this point and I couldn't have done it without Sherrington, Justasgood, By-Tor, Ubiquitous and The Zigmeister. There are probably others I've forgotten, and for that I'm sorry.

The watch still needs the 2846 (on its way) fitting and the Tropic 127 that's still in its bag until my crown press arrives. After that, it's insert/pearl and drilling the lugs. I've put the watch back together, so everything is screwed in properly. This is pretty much how it will look when finished.

Anyway, please, please comment as I think it's as good as I'm going to get as a rank amateur (although I now see faint scratches on the upper CG I can sand/buffer down). Yes, the photos are completely untouched by Photoshop, because it's the work I want to show you, not how pretty a picture I can make.

218841-15051.jpg

218841-15052.jpg

218841-15053.jpg

218841-15054.jpg

218841-15055.jpg

218841-15056.jpg

218841-15057.jpg

I think if you put a little of the metal back on the left........kidding, I'm kidding.

Can you say perfection? I can.....................PERFECTION! Bravo!

Remember, even new from Rolex most watches ain't perfect. And a watch as old as this one represents certainly won't be. You would have to really try to find fault with the work you have done..........I gotta admit, sniff, it brings a tear to my eye......no, wait....that's just the smoke from my Cuban friend Mr. Ramon (shown earlier in my post that you had to upstage with the so called "Sub") :yawn:

Anyway, I was glad to add what little help I could to see such a nice result.

Rare air Mr. Pug....Rare air indeed.

This message brought to you by and paid for by Mr. Pugwash ;)

Thanks for the support, guys. You're making me feel all proud. :D

The one thing I did that isn't part of most CG modders' routine is I filed the flat part between the lugs down so it disappears behind the bezel. This is something that has always been a tell for me. I'll go into more detail later ...

It is truly a thing of beauty. Well done Pug. You are inspiring me. I can feel a dremel purchase coming on! Oh dear, I can envisage hours sat at a workbench surrounded by little heaps of steel dust and nothing left of the CG's on a precious piece....... just a little bit more off here I think..........

It is truly a thing of beauty. Well done Pug. You are inspiring me. I can feel a dremel purchase coming on! Oh dear, I can envisage hours sat at a workbench surrounded by little heaps of steel dust and nothing left of the CG's on a precious piece....... just a little bit more off here I think..........

The Dremel should be used only for polishing or removing large masses of metal at the beginning as the rest you really want to be doing with a jeweller's file. Having said that, I used a spinny rough blob (to use its technical name) to ease out the countersinking as my drill bits weren't making a dent in the super-tough steel.

It's fun and very good at making you sweat. :D

Oh, and a little table vice should be in everyone's watchmaking kit. It even doubles as a mini-anvil.

Looks great! Nice and spikey...

Indeed... The work isn't difficult to do- Just time consuming as it's best to go slow with this mod. Don't want to take off too much too fast. I find that hand files work best, and high speed rotary is best suited for polishing.

Looking good! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Cheers,

R

Looks Great !!! :wub:

Now comes the hard part (at least for me) leaving them alone.

The more pictures I look at, the more I want to get that file for one final touch.

The crown being moved closed to the case was a good touch. It is obvious to me also. I thought about doing it, but I am glad to see someone do it first.

Any hints you can offer us?

Your post and beautiful watch give me a good reason to open mine up again. I will blame you when my wife wants to know why I disappeared on her AGAIN. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

puff puff cough, file, polish, repeat.

The crown being moved closed to the case was a good touch. It is obvious to me also. I thought about doing it, but I am glad to see someone do it first.

Any hints you can offer us?

Sure, patience. It's not a race. :D

Oh, amazingly, this watch is on my wrist now, telling the time. I fixed the keyless works myself. :blink:

Ok, so the date doesn't roll over and it doesn't wind, but the hands go round and I can set the time. This is much better than before when all it could do was set the date or sometimes have the second hand go round and round without the hour/minute hands moving, like when it arrived. :D