When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ride my bike wearing a rep?

teddy boy

I am a cyclist and I always wear a watch when I ride. I wear a watch first of all because I'm a watch guy and wear one except when I do two things. One of those is take a shower (soap isn't good for them even if they're water proof) and the other we don't talk about. I also wear a watch when I ride to know how much more time I have to enjoy the wonderful sport of cycling.

My question is, will a rep stand up to the salt and other minerals in my sweat? I wouldn't wear a gold plated watch to ride as the minerals might erode the plating. But how about a stainless model? My reps are supposed to have 316 quality stainless, I have no reason to doubt this fact as the overall quality of these reps is quite good. Is the best guess that these will stand up to a good saturation with sweat?

That's a very good question and initially one would have to say no as the chance of any sweat entering the watch is very slight, however there are other considerations for example cyclist can and often do find themselves many miles from home when they get caught in a weather change, there is also the chance of water from a previous rain fall being sprayed up by passing cars entering the watch and finally there is the effect of your sweat and the composition of metal on your case back which could cause skin irritations or acid etching to the watch itself.

In short I would be inclined to purchase a cheap sports watch for riding and use your reps for situations you can control.

Ken

That's a very good question and initially one would have to say no as the chance of any sweat entering the watch is very slight, however there are other considerations for example cyclist can and often do find themselves many miles from home when they get caught in a weather change, there is also the chance of water from a previous rain fall being sprayed up by passing cars entering the watch and finally there is the effect of your sweat and the composition of metal on your case back which could cause skin irritations or acid etching to the watch itself.

In short I would be inclined to purchase a cheap sports watch for riding and use your reps for situations you can control.

Ken

Thanks for the advice, I'll follow it. I have an inexpensive timex indiglo but sometimes ride with guys who wear their rolex subs. I assume that their's are real, but have no way of knowing. I was really looking forward to wearing my new inge on a ride. I would have eventually told them its origin, but only after having them ooh and aah over it. Then, of course, I would point out that you can get reps of their subs for about the same money that I paid for my inge, and maybe even a little less.

Im an avid cyclist as well, and I have never worn a rep while cycling for the same reasons you mentioned. Personally, I never wear watches while cycling. I have the time on my CAT EYE anyway. If you really want to wear a watch, Id stick to gens.

it's funny :lol:

my cyclo-computers have clocks and so does my heart rate monitor. but i never think to look at them? same with the clock on my pc. i just am so used to looking at my watch...

Well I think, since everyone is offering their thoughts, that what the heck did you buy the rep for if not to wear in places where you wouldn't want to risk a gen. I've gotten my rep wet with "hand washing" level of water and never had a problem. If I get it mucked up, I just make sure everything is screwed in or down and rinse it in running water. Never had a problem with any of the Rollies or Omegas that I have. If it isn't a screw down crown I might not risk that. The worse that can happen is that some moisture gets in the watch then you have to send it to get serviced--or toss it and get another.

These are banger watches for me and if ones bites it, I just am thankful that I wasn't wearing any of my gens. It kind of defeats the purpose of owning a rep if you are going to treat it like a gen. So wear the Ing. If it is really important to you, send it to one of our repair guys and get it waterproofed. Not much difference between one that is pressure tested and one that is not. Probably a new gasket, some silicone lubricant, and, depending upon the model, maybe something to address the crystal mount.

...just my opinion.

/Tim

Well I think, since everyone is offering their thoughts, that what the heck did you buy the rep for if not to wear in places where you wouldn't want to risk a gen. I've gotten my rep wet with "hand washing" level of water and never had a problem. If I get it mucked up, I just make sure everything is screwed in or down and rinse it in running water. Never had a problem with any of the Rollies or Omegas that I have. If it isn't a screw down crown I might not risk that. The worse that can happen is that some moisture gets in the watch then you have to send it to get serviced--or toss it and get another.

These are banger watches for me and if ones bites it, I just am thankful that I wasn't wearing any of my gens. It kind of defeats the purpose of owning a rep if you are going to treat it like a gen. So wear the Ing. If it is really important to you, send it to one of our repair guys and get it waterproofed. Not much difference between one that is pressure tested and one that is not. Probably a new gasket, some silicone lubricant, and, depending upon the model, maybe something to address the crystal mount.

...just my opinion.

Very interesting point. I've spent my whole life trying to save the good stuff for........?

I'm going to mull this one over a bit. I really like the Inge and wouldn't want to ruin it, but then what you say does make sense. If I ruined my 1930s mint gruen curvex or my absolutely breathtaking Hamilton Gordon or any of a dozen other gens, now that would be a tragedy.

/Tim

I'd just wear a Casio for sports like that. There are some terrific Pathfinders that have brilliant features like barometric pressure (i.e.: is it going to rain on your parade), elevation, countdown timers, compass, multiple time zones, et al. The latest generation is solar powered. I love my old Pathfinder, but mine is the pre-solar version and it takes something like 5 batteries. I used mine in the military--it's a very durable watch, and despite the abuse it only has little bits and pieces missing here and there. Despite this, all functions work perfectly. Anyway, perfect for a cyclist IMHO.

I too am an avid cyclist, and I never wear a watch when riding. Too much stuff moving around, and cramping the wrist posistion.

If I really want to know the time my cateye can tell me. After the ride you can show off your Inge.

Ride on dude...watchless.

I'd just wear a Casio for sports like that. There are some terrific Pathfinders that have brilliant features like barometric pressure (i.e.: is it going to rain on your parade), elevation, countdown timers, compass, multiple time zones, et al. The latest generation is solar powered. I love my old Pathfinder, but mine is the pre-solar version and it takes something like 5 batteries. I used mine in the military--it's a very durable watch, and despite the abuse it only has little bits and pieces missing here and there. Despite this, all functions work perfectly. Anyway, perfect for a cyclist IMHO.

If it was me, Id go with something like that too. But, again, I dont wear a watch at all when cycling.

I know Lance wore a watch with a metal bracelet, at least during some parts, of the tour de france. Similiar to what Jeff G said, I think a watch is bothersome, espeically if it has a steel bracelet.

I have a poster where the watch is almost full size, but half of it is cut off by another cyclists handle bars so I cant make out what brand. Im sure some of the experts here could itentify it. Anyway, heres a little proof that Lance is A-OK with wearing watching while riding :thumbsupsmileyanim:

228145-12780.jpeg

It depends on why you bought the replica. If you bought it as a consumable, disposable item, then ride on. If you bought it as a precious piece then put it under glass.

You cannot expect any level of genuine quality performance from replicas. I have had more reps fog from sweat than any other reason. If it's a keeper, wear it well and carefully. I'm something of a white glove collector. Whenever I do anything remotely threatning I don't wear a watch. My Dad, on the other hand, owns a Girard Peregeaux that he wears painting the house. It's the Ying and Yang thing!!!

It depends on why you bought the replica. If you bought it as a consumable, disposable item, then ride on. If you bought it as a precious piece then put it under glass.

You cannot expect any level of genuine quality performance from replicas. I have had more reps fog from sweat than any other reason. If it's a keeper, wear it well and carefully. I'm something of a white glove collector. Whenever I do anything remotely threatning I don't wear a watch. My Dad, on the other hand, owns a Girard Peregeaux that he wears painting the house. It's the Ying and Yang thing!!!

Thanks for all the replies, you really have helped me make my decision. I'm going to wear it on at least one group ride with the submariner guys. After they've admired my Inge and oohed and aahed, I'll fess up to the watche's true origins. It will be interesting to see if any of them come clean on their watches being reps. I would be willing to bet that at least one of them is wearing a good rep but would also bet that none of them own up to that fact. In any event, I've got to wear the Inge to see their reatction. After that it will be the white glove treatment as crystal puts it. I really like the watch, I have a good watch maker who works on my reps at a reasonable fee and I know that with care it will last a long long time.

As an aside, I'm amazed at all the cyclists who posted on this thread. I'm a twenty six year cyclist. I own four bikes: a 94 Schwinn Paramount (last year the real paramount was made, Reynolds 753), an Eddie Merckx titanium AX with bi-ovalized tubes, a Trek 5500, and a Guru New Steel. All but the Guru were made in America, the Guru is, of course, Canadian made. If you had told me even 15 years ago that I woud own 4 bikes I wouldn't have been surprised. If you had told me that all would be made in North America, I would have been astonished.

Thanks again for the views on wearing the Inge, I have my answer now.

It depends on why you bought the replica. If you bought it as a consumable, disposable item, then ride on.

Agreed I bought a Pam 024 sub (A21j) on the cheap in the hope of having an "activity" rep and so far it has passed both the sweat test and the shock test. I wear it regularly and I'm kind of suprised its held up thus far - maybe it won't last...

...but for now I look cool in the gym :peace:

I would find the Ingy a bit too bulky and heavy for bike rides. On the other hand, I find my Speedmaster or the standard size PO on a SS bracelet to be quite comfortable when I go out riding.

I only had condensation problems when I went cross country skiing while wearing a Yachtmaster. I was wearing it under layers of Gortex and polar fleece, so a bit of condensation was understandable, and fortunately temporary.

I dunno, I like the feel of a heavy steel watch on my wrist. Just be sure not to crash, you WILL smash the watch. I personally hate digital watches. But if I had to use one, I'd go with the Avocet Vertech. It does time, temp, altitude, you name it.

Nah nah no no. If you crash, stick your wrist with the watch out in front of you. It will help cushion the fall! Either that or everyone will think your fey---one or the other.

/Tim

As an aside, I'm amazed at all the cyclists who posted on this thread. I'm a twenty six year cyclist. I own four bikes: a 94 Schwinn Paramount (last year the real paramount was made, Reynolds 753), an Eddie Merckx titanium AX with bi-ovalized tubes, a Trek 5500, and a Guru New Steel. All but the Guru were made in America, the Guru is, of course, Canadian made. If you had told me even 15 years ago that I woud own 4 bikes I wouldn't have been surprised. If you had told me that all would be made in North America, I would have been astonished.

Boys and their toys. The one's that aren't out riding their bike are comparing their Dupont lighers as they light up. It does surprizingly sound like a healthy bunch though. Aren't there any fellow compu-geeks online?

/Tim

I'm a cyclist as well. I train about 10 hrs a week and commute to work by bike as well. I wear my reps all the time. My "perfect" Submariner is my main watch and I've worn it everyday for the past 8 months or so without any trouble. No pitting. I've also worn my Pam 232 and, on occasion, my Fiddy with no problems. In fact, I'd rather wear a rep then a gen! One crash and I'm out only a few hundred $$$ instead of a few thousand!

BTW, I love wearing the Fiddy in full team kit on my steel Vanilla!

I loathe excercise in any form.

But sweat once ruined a very nice genuine alligator stap. And the only excercise I was doing was lifting beers at an italian pavement cafe.

I dislike metal bracelets. But now, when I travel to the Far East or the Med, I wear my Omega SMP 300m GMT.

Nice watch - and sweatproof! And I have to admit, the Omega bracelet is excellent. Almost as comfortable as a leather strap.

Almost...

Lets get an off topic thread going showing all the bitchin' bikes we ride!

I am currently on a Specialized Alum/carbon frame (road) and about to spring for a new Specialized Tarmac full carbon.

My Mountain bike is 1998 Ibis Ti Mojo/full XTR - HARDTAIL! I live.. somewhere...that literally has hundreds of miles of unreal singletrack right outside my back door.

I am the only one of my pals still on a hardtail, most others have gone full suspension... Sevens...or Santa Cruz Blur's. I have promised myself that I would stay on the hardtail till I hit 70 yrs old.

Ride on' dudes!!!!! With or without a watch.

Lets get an off topic thread going showing all the bitchin' bikes we ride!

Now, we're talking! I only do road biking, and I never do it for commuting. I appreciate the sport of cycling, and it is great exercise.

I have two road bikes.

One is a Colnago Extreme C. This is the commerical version of the bike used by the Rabobank team back in the 2005 tour de france.

228974-12591.jpg

I also have a Trek 1400 2006 version. I think this is the best value road bike out there.

228974-12592.jpg