When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Montbrillant Datora to be released..........

b16a2

Looks like they've finally repped the Montbrillant Datora. It's a stunning watch, hoping the dial is more white than the ceamy pic below. If they release a black dial, Im certainly in!

229805-12414.jpg

EDIT - Not sure if I'm meant to link to pictures on outside sites now? If not let me know and Il remove it......

Very interesting. This appears to be a Datora with the automatic Valjoux 7751 movement and this is the first time I've ever seen it in a rep watch. I can't tell you whether it's Swiss or if the Chinese have finally copied it. Price will tell you which movement it has. $750 and up is Swiss, $300-500 is asian. If it's asian, I'd definitely stay away until they work out the bugs, but if I had to guess, I'd figure it is Swiss.

The 7751 is a complicated movement with triple date (day, date and month), 24 hour hand and running seconds at nine, thirty minute counter at twelve and 12 hour counter at 6. The button on the case at 10 o'clock advances the day and you advance the date and the month with the crown in the second position- turning it one way advances the date and the other advances the month. The chronos function the same as the 7750. The 7751 is a descendent of the Valjoux 72C, just like the 7750 is a descendent of the V72B.

I think I'll email Josh and see if it's a Swiss movement and what the real price is- you notice he hasn't even posted a description yet, that's how new it is!

Dunno how accurate it is....or how the movement will compare with original.....but here's a shot of my genuine Speedy Calendar.....3523.80...which uses the same movement.....the blue dial doesn't feature in the latest catalog...so not sure if it's DC.....but if they have the movement right.....it should open a whole load of new Omegas....:D

PS...not sure if you are supposed to link......especially to a dealer......I think links to non represented sites are Ok.....!

229851-12404.jpg

Edited by TTK

Well... it's an modified old style Asian 7750 so it's a piece of crap IMHO. With no modifications this movement can hardly cope with daily use.

With all the extra added functions this watch is doomed to become a paper weight.......

Edited by Rolexman

@ TTK - I was just about to email you about buying that Omega, then I read that it is a genuine :bangin: I have never seen that styled Speedmaster before, it's beautiful!!

Shame about the movement! Did you email the 'dealer' asking him about it?

Damn! I pride myself on my Breitling collection, and this Datora would have been a great addtion. I may just pick it up anyway and take a chance...The Datora I have now is a piece of junk, although to its credit it keeps time +/- 7 seconds per 24 hours.

You can get a NOS genuine....for $1700 bucks.....which is a great price for a complicated movement.......no point in spending on a 7751 plus.....for what is still a rep....!

maybe you get lucky and run into a nice swiis movmt. on that bidding site wich shall remain nameless..and wasnt it said before that the old 7750(21kbph) reps accept the swiss movmt. better than the new 7750b's if soo it can't be that bad.

And if not a movement swap how how about keeping the asian heart and having it fully serviced? Isn't that a cheaper alternative than going swiss or having another $300+ SS paperweight?

maybe you get lucky and run into a nice swiis movmt. on that bidding site wich shall remain nameless..and wasnt it said before that the old 7750(21kbph) reps accept the swiss movmt. better than the new 7750b's if soo it can't be that bad.

And if not a movement swap how how about keeping the asian heart and having it fully serviced? Isn't that a cheaper alternative than going swiss or having another $300+ SS paperweight?

I personally wouldn't want the incorrect 21.6 bph.. <_<

I would guess you can only swap for a 7751and maybe not even. The Asians will manipulate the base 7750 movements for specific purposes. The 7750 based PAM GMT (89, etc.) is a good example. If I remember correctly you can't cannibalize the asian movement to allow the Swiss to provide the same functionality. It would only be worse on 7751 oriented movement where you have multiple additional functions (day and month). Stick with the Asian or buy a gen. ;)

Well is it that noticeable to have the asian compared to the gen? as far as the bph goes? Also why not keep the asian movmt. and have it serviced by The Zigmeister, that should give you some sort of assurance as to longevity.

Although if the modifications are anything like a seconds at 6 watch then maybe it's not worth it.

You can get a NOS genuine....for $1700 bucks.....which is a great price for a complicated movement.......no point in spending on a 7751 plus.....for what is still a rep....!

Interesting Neil, I'd love to hear where you can pick up a NOS for $1700.

I did see an Omega similar to yours yesterday on the bay from jmryshi for like $1395, buy it now.

The idea of buying this rep and sending it to Ziggy for service isn't a bad one. As I recall, he charges $325 to service a 7750 and it might be a little more for this one due to the added complications. What would be really interesting is if Zig were to do a pictorial and show us how the chinese transformed it from a 7750 into a 7751.

What a bummer. I think my first post ever on RWG was a watch request for this, but looking at it, I don't think I will be picking one up. Now if it had a 7751 and the face was actually white, I would have to do some explaining to the wife over our bank account...

I mean sure, a 300+ watch plus a 300+ serivice your talking BCE w/swiss money right there...SO it has it's pros and cons, otherwise the watch is beutifull. Heck I might go far enoguh to say i woudln't mind wearing such a nice looking paperweight around my wrist