When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono

chubbchubb

Review of the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono

(edit: added a new picture of PO Chrono on Hirsch Racing strap - scroll to bottom)

About a week ago I received my PO Chrono from PT (Precious Time), whom - by the way - I can only recommend as a dealer.

My Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono - all black Dial version

230245-12310.jpg

The Seamaster line was introduced by Omega in 1948 and even after 58 years, it has lost nothing of it’s fascination. The gen Chrono is

a technical masterpiece. It is waterproof to 600m/2000ft and even the Chrono pushers – who are not screw-down - function up to this

depth. It is equipped the Omega 3313 caliber, which is based on a Piguet 1285/7 caliber that Omega has heavily modified.

the Omega 3313 caliber

230245-12311.jpg230245-12312.jpg

The rep carries a New Asian replica of the Valjoux 7750 (28,800 bph), while the gen comes with the

Omega 3313 caliber.

Asia 7750 (courtesy of Trusty /Andrew)

The gen features the Omega Co-Axial Escapement and has a power reserve of 55 hours. The domed sapphire crystal

comes with double sided AR. The retail price of the gen in Europe is 4.195€ (umpf!) the Replica costs roughly

6% thereof.

When discussing this replica, one thing is important:

If you are anal about the 1 to 1 reproduction accuracy of a replica, read no further - the PO Chrono is

probably not for you.This is where the biggest flaws are located

230245-12313.jpg

This is because it’s biggest flaw is quite visible and that is the positioning and spacing of the subdials, and the

resulting size of the 3 / 6 / 9 markers on the dial. This difference comes from the movements used in the gen

and the rep.

Because the subdials are further apart on the rep, also the 3/6/9 numbers are smaller due to lack

of space on the outer rim of the dial.

230245-12314.jpg

Another movement related fault of the rep is the position of the Chrono pushers and the Crown. On the

replica, they sit a little lower on the case and wider apart compared to the gen.

230245-12315.jpg

The subdials and 3/6/9 markers are the most obvious of the visible flaws. If you want your rep perfect,

this one is not for you.

Here is a list of differences (minor and visible) to the gen:

When I spotted this beautiful piece on the wrist shots post earlier this week, I had to PM and let you know how nice a watch it looked to be.

This detailed review only helps confirm that. Nice comparison review of the rep and gen.

It is also good to see that there are a few members who like me are more interested in the good looks of a watch like this...rather than the 1 to 1 perfection that many feel is so important in a rep.

Wear it well. Your review is enough to make me want to order one immediately.

Great review and great watch. Some watches, like this one will never be repped 1 to 1. You wait for a better version and it gets discontinued. Like the moonwatch, I think this will be a much sought after piece in a few years. Wear it well Chub!

This is the first time I see some upclose photo of the P.O. Chrono version...it looks better than I think. Is the watch come with leather strap?

Thanks for the great report :)

Hi, the watch originally comes on a stainless steel

Hmmm, here's a pic of the "v2" Chrono I've seen. The 3, 6, 9 markers are present but the date dial is completely wrong. My still newbie eyes can't really pick out other subtleties though so I'll leave it to you guys. :D

230582-12205.jpg

Edit: Ok, this is completely off...ignore me. Duh.

Hmmm, here's a pic of the "v2" Chrono I've seen. The 3, 6, 9 markers are present but the date dial is completely wrong. My still newbie eyes can't really pick out other subtleties though so I'll leave it to you guys. :D

230726-12151.jpg

Edit: Ok, this is completely off...ignore me. Duh.

Slai... that's the Quartz movement version.... Everythingape reviewed his Quartz Chrono here

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...