When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The VIPmariner from

Ozzy

Hey people, http://www.rwg.cc/members/style_images/rwg...uote-button.png

Wrap in quote tags

I have recently noticed that over at 'replica-watch.info' they have a new rolex submariner watch available. It is named the VIPmariner, as you need to be a VIP to buy it and i was just wondoring how it compares to the n00bmariner, beginmarineror other variants.

Here are a few pictures of the n00bmariner and the VIPmariner. I hope the dealers are ok with me posting these images.

VIPMARINER $80

eta copy 21j movt

Thick HIGH standing sapphire

Nice date mag

DEEEEEP Rehaut

120 tight click bezel

SS band

hologram, correct #s

all serials

Ill let the Pics speak for themselves...

230576-12206.jpg

230576-12207.jpg

230576-12208.jpg

230576-12209.jpg

230576-12210.jpg

230576-12211.jpg

230576-12212.jpg

230576-12213.jpg

230576-12214.jpg

230576-12215.jpg

230576-12216.jpg

230576-12217.jpg

230576-12218.jpg

230576-12219.jpg

230576-12220.jpg

230576-12221.jpg

230576-12222.jpg

230576-12223.jpg

230576-12213.jpg

N00BMARINER - $100 to $108

Movement: Asia Eta 2813 Automatic Plated YG Movement With Insignia on Rotor.. Steel Movt Holder ( Not plastic) , 28800bph

Functions: Hours, Minutes, Seconds, Date ( Set via Crown)

Dimensions : Dia 41mm x 12mm Thk

Material : 1 piece forged case construction, solid 316 stainless steel

Back : Solid case back with Hollogram

Crown : One-piece screw down crown with o ring

Crystal: Sapphire crystal

Water-resistant

Close 6 and 9

230576-12225.jpg

230576-12226.jpg

230576-12227.jpg

230576-12228.jpg

230576-12229.jpg

230576-12230.jpg

230576-12231.jpg

230576-12232.jpg

What do you guys think?

Edited by Ozzy

Interesting. It's not the same as the noob or the beginmariner. The case has a deeper rehaut, date window is well placed and the movement looks like crap. But it might be a good starting point for building a kick-ass sub. The case marking 16610T is different from the F520117 marking on the noob/begin/Paul/TWG/EL version. If it had an eta, it would be that much better.

I have a So-Called Perfect sub and the VIPMariner. From what I've seen, the So-Called and the Beginamariner look like they use the same case and band. Seems the only difference is Paul's sub uses an ETA movement in place of the Asian in the Beginamariner.

The VIPMariner has absolutely nothing in common with either watch except for the Asian movement. The case and the band are completely different. Both watches have their good points and bad points and it would come down to which 'shortcoming' is more of a distraction for you when choosing which is 'better'.

The VIP positives:

1) Deep rehaut that is NOT overly conical as someone else pointed out. This is definitely a strong point of this watch.

2) The case is slightly 'taller' than the SCPS/Beginamariner on the sides. This gives the watch a larger 'feel' to it when it's on your wrist.

3) A crystal that sits above the bezel much more like a gen. Unlike the SCPS/Beginamariner, the crystal not only sits higher (and appears to be a bit thicker), but it doesn't have the thick gasket issue that bugs a lot of folks.

4) It's only $80.00!

Now, it does have some shortcomings (it's a Sub replica after all!) because as everyone knows, there is no 'perfect' sub!

1) Case lugs are too thin.

2) CG's are too pointy (along with the usual problems that most subs have). I think these could be modified to look very good, but overall they're not as good as an MBW or even a SCPS.

3) Crown is 'weird'. It looks like it made of brass and has a 'sheet' of SS stamped over it. Weird. But, if your looking to use this watch as a base for modification, you can always replace this with a genuine piece.

4) Dial isn't nearly as good as the SCPS/Beginamariner.

5) Band isn't in the same league as the SCPS/Beginamariner. It uses solid center links and an incorrect clasp that it roughly half a link too long(look at the last adjustment holes in the clasp and look at how much metal is left. Overall, the clasp is too long.). The end links are also not constructed correctly, BUT they LOOK great (and much better than the SCPS/Beginamariner).

So again, it comes down to which shortcomings bug you the most. Overall, I think the VIPmariner has the overall 'feel' that is closest to Gen between the three. I'm going to use mine to start my first 'modded' watch project. Mine is going to get the SCPS movement/dial, a replacement bezel insert and a new gen crown (that I've had for three years originally intended for my Yachtmaster) and aftermarket gen replacement tube from Borel. Depending on whether or not I can swap end links, I'll either use the VIP's end links on the SCPS band, or the SCPS clasp on the VIP band.

SR

@SportsRider - Good break down. I have to stand by my conical rehaut observation though. In this picture below, you really shouldn't be able to see the rehaut ring all the way around. The only reason you can is because the ring is not cylindrical. Or is the LV version not a VIPmariner?

230626-12197.jpg

@SportsRider - Good break down. I have to stand by my conical rehaut observation though. In this picture below, you really shouldn't be able to see the rehaut ring all the way around. The only reason you can is because the ring is not cylindrical. Or is the LV version not a VIPmariner?

Thanks Chieftang! And I understand what you're saying, but I think these particular pictures tend to exaggerate that effect. When you actually have the watch in your hand, it doesn't look like that.

But as usual, it's not perfect. But I believe it's about as good as any others out there relative to rehaut. I think it's a great/cheap alternative to a MBW for a base watch to mod.

I'm actually waiting for a replacement to arrive. Mine has an uneven crystal - it looks as if it was cut at a slight angle as it sits higher near the 12 o'clock position versus the 6 o'clock position. I checked to be sure that the crystal was fully pressed into the case, and it is. As soon as I get my replacement, I'll start the project and take pictures as I go along..

SR

Thanks Chieftang! And I understand what you're saying, but I think these particular pictures tend to exaggerate that effect. When you actually have the watch in your hand, it doesn't look like that.

But as usual, it's not perfect. But I believe it's about as good as any others out there relative to rehaut. I think it's a great/cheap alternative to a MBW for a base watch to mod.

I would agree. An $80 VIPmariner and a $149 Paul ETA sub could be combined to create a watch that would be even nicer than an MBW 16610. And at $230 vs. nearly $400 for the MBW it's a complete no brainer.

The VIPmariner's rehaut is slightly overly conical, not bad at all, esp. compared to the Josh's $188/Silix's/Angus'/Ruby's/King's/Andrew's $400+ subs. The bezel teeth and thin crystal gasket are another strong points. The dial hole is actually slightly bigger than the noobmariner's but the noob dial will still fit. The SELs are longer. I don't think you can just swap in a noob bracelet. Mine's crystal wasn't installed evenly but it's of the correct size. I removed it and reinstalled it and it's sitting evenly. It's really a beginner sub that needs a bit of modding but the end result is better than a noob or a josh after modding because of the rehaut and the bezel. The CGs are longer so you have metal to work with while on the other 2, the CGs were too short which gives you no chance to make them right. Cheif's formual is really good. I wish the bracelet from the noob could fit. I hope somebody can prove me wrong. Here's my VIPmariner with mods (swapped in a no date dial, ETA movement, swapped in a watchmaterial pearl, reshaped CGs):

231163-12046.jpg

231163-12047.jpg

I'll go with Chief here: The conical rehaut for me is much bigger flaw than the lowish (but smooth and shiny) on the Nooby. But maybe the huge pics exaggerate the flaw. The Nooby dial is much better too, which is important. I just bought a ETA-powered Noob today... which is (imho) still the best "compromise Sub".

By the way: this is not a pic of the Noobmariner. It's of my 2-year old CN Sub (good riddance). Nooby rehaut is higher and smoother (although still a bit too low).

231200-12041.jpg

PS: That no-date by blkm is magnificient! Excellent job! It could still use no-sels and lugholes to become accurate... no-dates still don't have SELs.

The VIPmariner's rehaut is slightly overly conical, not bad at all, esp. compared to the Josh's $188/Silix's/Angus'/Ruby's/King's/Andrew's $400+ subs. The bezel teeth and thin crystal gasket are another strong points. The dial hole is actually slightly bigger than the noobmariner's but the noob dial will still fit. The SELs are longer. I don't think you can just swap in a noob bracelet. Mine's crystal wasn't installed evenly but it's of the correct size. I removed it and reinstalled it and it's sitting evenly. It's really a beginner sub that needs a bit of modding but the end result is better than a noob or a josh after modding because of the rehaut and the bezel. The CGs are longer so you have metal to work with while on the other 2, the CGs were too short which gives you no chance to make them right. Cheif's formual is really good. I wish the bracelet from the noob could fit. I hope somebody can prove me wrong. Here's my VIPmariner with mods (swapped in a no date dial, ETA movement, swapped in a watchmaterial pearl, reshaped CGs):

My VIP also came with an uneven crystal. So you were able to correct this by re-installing? Fantastic! I was thinking that the crystal itself was cut crooked, but if it's simply installed wrong, it'd be an easy fix.

Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

great looking watch, and I feel that too many critisisms are a bit pointless at this price level.

I paid a much higher price for a swiss ETA replica that doesnt look much different and required tweaking to perform properly as the crown was very hard to screw back in after setting or winding.

I also think the Noobmariner is very good value as a daily watch, does any one know where I can purchase one?

• 1 month later...