When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can the new Asian ETA copies be serviced?

Guest paneraifreak

Guest paneraifreak

Like the question states:

I have an Ultimate Light Planet Ocean with that so called new Asian ETA 2824 copy.

Will that movement be servicable when the time comes?

It's running like a horse now but down the road...you know....

Thank you guys

LL

I have an Ultimate Light Planet Ocean with that so called new Asian ETA 2824 copy.

Thank you guys

LL

Might be cheaper to replace the works, have a look at cousins here

I know that is not the same works but they will have the right one on stock somewhere, price of a good service?????? a lot more i think.

Guest paneraifreak

But that does not make any sense.

If you paid $100 for a Seiko Monster and 5 years from now you decide to service, then,if you follow their reasoning, the watch is not worth servicing?

Not because a watch is only worth $100 does a service make no sense.

If you like a watch enough, $150 service is OK ,even if the watch is only $50....

Am I OK thinking this way??

But that does not make any sense.

If you paid $100 for a Seiko Monster and 5 years from now you decide to service, then,if you follow their reasoning, the watch is not worth servicing?

Not because a watch is only worth $100 does a service make no sense.

If you like a watch enough, $150 service is OK ,even if the watch is only $50....

Am I OK thinking this way??

Yes you are.

P.S. ...but where your watchsmith is supposed to find any parts may be needed for the service of that Asian mov.? My thought...

Thank you guys

LL

For the last bleedin' time. The movement in the uPO Lite is not an ETA2824 copy. It bears no resemblance whatsoever to the ETA or Selita SW200. Describing it as a 2824 copy is a big fat lie. The movement has its own name - it is the DG8413, and Cousins do indeed stock them.

FWIW, I have the beginmariner with the DG2813 and the River sub with the ETA copy of the 2836 and I plan on getting them both serviced by my watchmaker in the near future. I want to verify the 28,800 bph of the 2813 and I'm going to have him check out the ETA copy. I just had to have him service an ETA 2836 which putzed out on me after a month- just testimony to Zig's, and a lot of other peoples theory that these movements aren't necessarily in good shape when they arrive at your doorstep.

My watchmaker doesn't want to service the 2813, but he said he'd do it for me. Is it worth it? Well, you just have to decide for yourself. It'll cost me $70-100 each for a service, but at that point, I guess they'll be on par w/ a true ETA rep and hopefully good for 3-5 years. I'll also change out the crowns and tubes, file the cg's and WP them, so they should be good watches at that point.

For the last bleedin' time. The movement in the uPO Lite is not an ETA2824 copy. It bears no resemblance whatsoever to the ETA or Selita SW200. Describing it as a 2824 copy is a big fat lie. The movement has its own name - it is the DG8413, and Cousins do indeed stock them.

Ta R11co, i look but did not find it when i looked

My watchmaker doesn't want to service the 2813, but he said he'd do it for me. Is it worth it? Well, you just have to decide for yourself. It'll cost me $70-100 each for a service

Total waste of money, by anyone's standards. Servicing the 2813 isn't going to extend its working life by any significant amount, and $100 will easily buy you 5 replacements.

The 2813 is a 'cheapened' Miyota copy and any one I have seen has never been lacking lubrication. The watch lacks many of the design features that make the ETA28xx series so robust (no pallete jewels, for example) and the parts of the movement themselves are not engineered up to ETA standard - no amount of servicing is going to improve on that.

Your watchmaker is right to object, but clearly you want to part with your cash despite his advice so he's as well to take it.

but at that point, I guess they'll be on par w/ a true ETA rep and hopefully good for 3-5 years.

And here we see the product of the little white lies. The belief is now spreading that 2813 and 8413 movements are 'eta copy' and can be brought up to ETA spec. They cannot. Servicing isn't alchemy.

Maybe this will illustrate the point for you....

Imagine this is the DG2813...

236671-11135.jpg

This would be the ETA2824..

236671-11136.jpg

An oil, plugs and filters change isn't going to turn the top one into the bottom one.