When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchwinders : which program should I use ?

Pix

Hi all,

I have a very simple question, but as it's the first time for me to use a watchwinder, I am wondering about which setting I should use :

- run clockwise

- run anti-clockwise

- run both

Most will answer to use the third one if I hesitate, but the problem of that mode is that it moves much more often :

- clockwise OR anticlockwise : run 6 mins, pause 30 minutes, run 6 mins etc...

- run both : runs 20 minutes, stops 10 minutes, run 20 minutes etc... (I wonder why there is a such big difference...)

I read in The Zigmeister's various Q&A that the Swiss movements would wind in both directions. The asian movements would wind in only one direction, then which one ?

Besides, although it sounds stupid, does it make sense to put my handwind watch on the winder, to enable a better lubrification ?

Thx for your comments.

Besides, although it sounds stupid, does it make sense to put my handwind watch on the winder, to enable a better lubrification ?

It makes no sense.

Also, you didn't mention what watches you were wanting to pout on it. If it's all ETA non-chrono watches, then it makes no difference. If it's 7750 (ETA and Asian) chronos then it matters as they're one-way, but I forget which - grabs chrono, spins it ... anti-clockwise.

There's a simple solution to not having to set it on number 3, (both directions). Trial and error which I did when I got my 4 quad watch winder. I put the watches on the winder for a few days, if they kept wound clockwise I left it at the clockwise setting for that watch. If the watch stopped I reset the winder to go counter-clockwise.

Agree with Pugwash, makes no sense; spinning your manual-wind is not going to keep it better lubricated. However, if you have a multi-watch winder and you want to fill every slot, it won't hurt your manual-wind to put it in the winder either.

Omni, your trial and error advice sounds wise, I'll try this for sure.

And I'll put the handwind Patek on the 6th slot, for the balance :lol:

It won't last long until I get a 6th auto movement...

But hell, I already need a new winder ! :frusty:

I found this post after a search because I tried to trial & error approach like Omni suggests when I got my Steinhausen 2 watch winder.

It only has 2 programs: one is a a clockwise and the other is a counter-clockwise. Either runs for 12 seconds and then pauses for several minutes and then runs for another 12 second interval. I have found for my ETA 2836 and my ETA 2824 movement watches that I installed on there that neither program direction works......the watches always stop.

I even tried manually switching between counter vs clockwise on alternating days.....that didn't work either. Steinhasuen is one a of the better known winders and I am surprised that they would sell a winder that doesn't work.....that is why I think that I am doing something incorrect....unless a 12 second wind interval is just not long enough to wind the watches.

Anyone have a suggestion?

I have very poor technical knowledge but... 12 seconds ? Isn't that too few to have the watch working until the next cycle ?

I have one of the Steinhausen two watch winders that cost about 40usd. It doesn't keep my watches wound so I quit using it. As my watch collection grew, I bought one of their 8 watch winders that I mentioned in an earlier post. It runs 33 seconds, then 12 minutes off, then repeats (or three other programs). Seems to work well on all my watches.

Someone here on the forum mentioned the number of rotations per day a watch requires to stay wound. I apologize for not having a link. I watched the two watch winder, and it didn't come close to the number of RPD required.

Steinhausenovernight has a good selection of winders if you're looking for another.

Deen

I bought mine on ebay for less than 100 euros.

Try on ebay.de if you're in Europe.

These things have also become much cheaper since they're built in China... Of course, I can't tell you how it will be on the long term. But it's basic mecanics, so a broken electric engine may easily be swapped.

I have very poor technical knowledge but... 12 seconds ? Isn't that too few to have the watch working until the next cycle ?

i agree.....12 seconds seems to be to short of a revolution period.

it looks like mine is the same exact winder that dadeenbob had equally poor experience with. since he also cannot get this model to wind watches either, i will conclude that this winder isn't designed well.....so, i will return mine and get a different one that actually works.