When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ofrei

TeeJay

I might be buying a few straps, depending on how some new contracts work out, which would give me a little extra spending money, and thought I might as well get them from Ofrei. I've been through the site before, but never really paid too much heed to the FAQ instructions, and to be honest, didn't like what I read. Comments like "too busy to check inventory" and "Take your problems elsewhere" and "Get your watchman to order the specific part" made me wonder if they're actually worth dealing with at all. That's certainly not an attitude I've come to expect from American businesses, and certainly not one I'd expect from one that is an authorized Omega parts distributer. I know people here use them all the time, so just wanted to check on what they're actually like to do business with. Are their products worth dealing with that kind of attitude, or is it just as easy to look elsewhere?

They are a decent supply house to deal with if you have your ducks in a row and know what you want. They are not an information service nor do they want to discuss what might work in what case etc. My guess is from most of their postings, they get lots of inquiries from replica upgrading people and they close the door on any of those discussions.

I concur with crystalcranium, if you know what you want and order on-line, no problem. But I've read about Ziggy's run ins w/ Bob Frei, the owner. You probably want to stay away from Bob! If you have some questions, or aren't sure what you need to order, you might do better with www.julesborel.com/. I've had good results from both of them, but I order on line and know what I'm looking for (most of the time!)

i'm curious -- what straps (for what watches) are you looking to buy?

Two of these:

245136-8687.jpg

One for my 2531.80 project watch, and one for an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronometer 2503.50 I'm planning on getting.

I'm also planning on getting one of these:

245136-8688.jpg

For an Omega Seamaster 2254.50 (which I'm also planning on getting)

nice. fwiw, i've shopped around a bit, and i haven't found better genuine omega rubber strap prices than ofrei's...

deltatahoe

The prices are definitely good, I was just a tad concerned about the attitude displayed in the FAQ... By choice, I really want to order this strap for the Aqua Terra:

245152-8686.jpg

But, the site says that they won't export them outside the US as it's an Exotic Animal...

I order pretty frequently from Ofrei and never had any real problems with Bob or anyone else in the company. But Bob Frei can be a bit unpredictable sometimes. I have had one very nice off-topic telephone conversation with Bob (he knew one of my relatives) and a couple of not so pleasant conversations (I do not think Bob is naturally a 'people person'). I have also received a couple of very strange emails from Bob where he ranted about his problems and things that had nothing to do with me. But as others have stated, as long as you know your part numbers and quantities and order by phone, you should be alright.

In my experience, Ofrei people have been courteous and helpful. In fact, Bob even emailed me with his cell phone number if I needed any assistance from him.

The advice to know what you are looking for is to be taken seriously. It is unfair to think that they have the time to figure out what you will need to solve a given problem and then search inventory and parts numbers. Be courteous and not demanding and they will return the same to you. You don't want to hear "no soup for you" :lol:

As an alternative, you will find the Jules Borel web site is easier to navigate than Ofrei and their service is impeccable. They are good people!

Thanks for all the replies, folks. Given the comments, I think I'll only go to ofrei when I need the rubber strap and buckle I linked to above. (and in a change of plan, it will be going on an Omega Speedmaster X-33 rather than the 2254.50 SMP) As for the other brown straps I was planning on getting, I actually found a shop in town today that sold a cheap Limit watch for