When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How have the Super Reps changed....

mezzanine

Ever since the super reps started to arrive, I think I've been going through a change in my rep collecting habits. Yes, not unlike the junkie who is craving their latest fix, this newer, more potent (but more expensive) "product" has changed the way I'm approaching my collection.

Whereas pre-SR I would choose watches that I *liked* as my primary guide for selection, the quality of the rep itself didn't enter as much into the question. Obviously each rep has it's own flaws, but as long as you're ordering from one of our dealers, I felt it was better to go after the stuff you liked, rather than some marginally more 'advanced' rep.

I feel things are different now. There is a major difference in the quality of the super reps and the more traditional reps that served as the foundational pattern for most of our collecting habits.

Now, I want to have two or three super reps, and maybe one modded rep, and that might be it.

I'm now find it more rewarding to get the latest super rep, regardless of brand or even design. Most of the watches that are chosen for the 1:1 treatment are pretty popular and carefully selected, anyways.

I'm almost starting to think that my future rep buying pattern is going to be more like a two-watch rotation, where one of the watches is rotated out every six months for a new one.

My plan is to rotate my HBB with an IWC Cousteau....and when I think what other watches I really want taking wrist time from those two...there really aren't many.

If I can get the crystal on my Ingy AR'd, that one is done and enters 'super' territory. I never would have believed I would not want to wear my Tag Link Chrono any more...that was the watch that got me started. I'm going to keep a Cartier for a dress watch, but other than that, I think the sales board is going to be seeing some activity soon. Time to upgrade my membership.

I want to have $1000 worth of reps at any given time. I'm happy to make that two super reps, and just rotate those.

;)

So who is looking for an old model Breitling Chrono Avenger Ti in near-mint condition?

Wait a minute, that one might count as a super rep..... :p

:D

the prices are getting up there for super reps thou. I never thought i'd spend more then 150-180 for a rep..... these are up in the $350-800.00 range at least. kinda makes me think long and hard before buying. and i'd never spend 400+ on a rep =(

The new super reps have definitely changed the way I collect. Im getting rid of most of my non-super reps. The super reps have made all others seem so flawed that I have no desire to wear them anymore. So Ive definitely made the turn from quantity to quality, buying a new super rep if I like it enough every couple of months. Right now I have a RG bezel HBB, Ceramic HBB, SFSO, CE, 3717, and a Costeau on order. And Ive only worn these in the past month so its kind of pointless for me to keep all others. I just hope that the factories keep pumping new models out. I want that 252 already too!

Unfortunately, it hasn't really slowed down my buying pattern just accelerated the emptying of my wallet. :lol:

But seriously, the real question is whether you want to own novelty items or serious reproductions. The serious reproductions have been around for a while and were always more expensive. DW's and MBW's have been around for quite awhile. The original Honpo Panerai's came out a couple of years ago. All of these watches start at $400+ before you start modding. Today there is a lot less modding required. And yes, MBW's have swiss movements but they are inexpensive ones. In truth, no two MBW's are exactly the same. On the DW's getting one with a working movement is a rarity.

Factories have now tooled up to make better (aesthetically speaking) and far more varied reps. If you are satisfied with $100 reps they still abound. The better reps are now made in larger quantities to justify the set-up expense and the truth is that it appears that they are rare enough that the makers can justify higher prices. It will be interesting to see what happens with them. After selling out that first run of a 1,000 will the factories make more and sell them for less? I am waiting to see whether they have gotten smarter and prefer to move on to the next blockbuster.

I know in my heart of hearts I need to rethink my buying patterns. Just haven't done it yet. ;)

I must agree, it affected me but only for the models I like, so I got PO and Steelfish for that reason, and holding back on several models I really like but are not yet "super". It kind of affects the trigger behaviour, I am more likely to wait for the ultimate version now then before, we all believed that 42mm 4th gen. PO will be as close it will ever get, but then they did it, and did they indeed. Well, let's wait for an ultimate PAM, not seen one yet, or an AP ROO...

I must agree, it affected me but only for the models I like, so I got PO and Steelfish for that reason, and holding back on several models I really like but are not yet "super". It kind of affects the trigger behaviour, I am more likely to wait for the ultimate version now then before, we all believed that 42mm 4th gen. PO will be as close it will ever get, but then they did it, and did they indeed. Well, let's wait for an ultimate PAM, not seen one yet, or an AP ROO...

The "ultimate" AP ROO is already around with genuine dial, hands, and ETA 2892 movement with Dubois-Dupraz chrono module. You think these other super-reps are expensive? :whistling:

Edited by Chronus

I am not sure what defines a 'super rep', but there have always been varying levels of quality in the rep world. And I am going back more than 20 years. I remember when just a small handful of mail order rep dealers (this was long before the internet) began for the first time to offer the 'ultra exclusive' (ultra expensive for the time) new ETA based Rolex reps that had real gold plated bezels. But I have only ever bought watches that I think (at least, at the time) are visually accurate enough to pass as gens and which fit my style. Fortunately, while my watch knowledge and style have improved over the years (with maturity comes wisdom), so have the reps. But while I am amazed at how accurate some modern reps have become (while not perfect, some of the current 116520 Daytona reps look and function so similar to the genuine articles that owners of the gens must now ask themselves if their money was well spent), I am also constantly maddened at how often the rep makers fail to get some of the more obvious (and easy to achieve) details right (the cheesy 3, 6 & 9 hour markers on some of the current 116509 Daytona reps spoil an otherwise perfect reproduction dial).

Super reps? Unless this is a new workout term it sure does not apply to recent watches. The recent rash of so-called "super reps" or higher quaity reps (more accurate) are few and far between. Seems like most of the higher quality reps came from Taiwan and now most watches (notice I did not use quality or super) come from China. As examples, the much anticipated AP ROO Chronograph, Big Bang, and Chopard Grand Turismo were highly touted and greatly disappointing. Each has had major quality issues well documented on the Board. The only exception recently has been the IWC Pilot Chronograph which, whiel delayed, ended up being well worth the wait from the quality prespective.

For me the hype from some sellers, on in particular, has far exceeded the quality of the watches in the end. More Taiwan reps please leave the lower end quality, dare I say junk, in China!!

TimeShare

Edited by TmeShare

They have changed the strategy--I don't buy a lot of them--unfortunately the majority of them are not my taste--and there's no way I'd buy a $650 asian powered rep (HBB Mellow Yellow) or a $680 version of a watch that still needs modding and, after modding and a new strap, represents a savings of about 50% of a used gen as in the case of at least two of the swiss-powered Breitlings. But....if a "super" version of a personal "must have" watch comes out, sure, I'll get in 30 seconds flat.

They have changed the strategy--I don't buy a lot of them--unfortunately the majority of them are not my taste--and there's no way I'd buy a $650 asian powered rep (HBB Mellow Yellow) or a $680 version of a watch that still needs modding and, after modding and a new strap, represents a savings of about 50% of a used gen as in the case of at least two of the swiss-powered Breitlings. But....if a "super" version of a personal "must have" watch comes out, sure, I'll get in 30 seconds flat.

My guess is that that would be a FM Conquistador King Chrono :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Super reps? Unless this is a new workout term it sure does not apply to recent watches. The recent rash of so-called "super reps" or higher quaity reps (more accurate) are few and far between. Seems like most of the higher quality reps came from Taiwan and now most watches (notice I did not use quality or super) come from China. As examples, the much anticipated AP ROO Chronograph, Big Bang, and Chopard Grand Turismo were highly touted and greatly disappointing. Each has had major quality issues well documented on the Board. The only exception recently has been the IWC Pilot Chronograph which, whiel delayed, ended up being well worth the wait from the quality prespective.

For me the hype from some sellers, on in particular, has far exceeded the quality of the watches in the end. More Taiwan reps please leave the lower end quality, dare I say junk, in China!!

TimeShare

I disagree. I would challenge anyone that has held a HBB rep to say it is not one of the most impressive replicas to date. The only high quality reps I'm aware of that are from Taiwan are the MBW vintage rolexes. Is that correct?

There were some initial quality control issues with some of the Big Bangs, but mine sure has none- and it possesses a level of finish I have not yet seen in a rep. I own or have owned a lot of what are considered to be very good reps. Tag Link Chrono, IWC Ingy, uPO, 'perfect' sub, Breitling Chrono Avenger Ti, etc...

To be honest, even though some of them are closer to me, like the Breitling, none of them are close in terms of quality. I don't imagine if you polled owners that you would find that much dissent. I haven't got either of the ultimate Breitlings, but both seem an obvious step up from the previous generation of reps. I don't think either are likely to be *quite* in the territory of either the HBB or the IWC Cousteau...but we'll have to see.

Basically, I'm saying that I perceive there to be THREE tiers now in reps, at least at the top.

Everything before the super reps were of a 'relatively' similar quality. Now I think there is a level above that, currently occupied by watches like the two ultimate Breitlings, probably even the uPO on the fringes, and some of the other ones like the Pam 092, the Chopard, etc...

However, I think there is a level beyond that, even.

This rarefied air is occupied by the HBB and now this IWC. The MBW ROO I'm sure belongs, but is disqualified because it is so grossly overpriced, IMO. Although that would fit with your Taiwanese theory, in terms of quality. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The "ultimate" AP ROO is already around with genuine dial, hands, and ETA 2892 movement with Dubois-Dupraz chrono module. You think these other super-reps are expensive? :whistling:

I've seen you mention the ap roo with gen dial and dd module. Are these really available? I'm seriously contemplating getting one if they are.

Could you give me more info? I've tried to PM you but your inbox is full

How has it changed my collecting? I don't collect them. I came to RWG seeking relief from $700 replicas. No replica no matter how faithful the reproduction is worth that kind of scratch.

Are these really "super reps"? What is super about them? It certainly isn't the meat and potatos of movement reliability. I would rather have a quantam leap in QC than new models.

How has it changed my collecting? I don't collect them. I came to RWG seeking relief from $700 replicas. No replica no matter how faithful the reproduction is worth that kind of scratch.

Are these really "super reps"? What is super about them? It certainly isn't the meat and potatos of movement reliability. I would rather have a quantam leap in QC than new models.

Agreed. That's why I'm not playing the game any more. The accuracy may have improved but QC is still none existent. I'm not going to splash $450 on them, in fact over the last year my gen purchases have increased, I'd rather save and wait for a gen. than get into the expensive reps.

As a noob, I would like to submit a simple concept.

I read most of the threads here, and it takes hours a day, believe me.

I have come to the conclusion that I should buy the ones I trully love.

In example, I bought a Fer002 from TTK and I'm now forcing a friend of mine to wear it as I do not.

I saw Pug's Poisson d'Acier (SteelFish) and wanted one. Still didn't buy it though.

I read all these HBB threads and didn't yet get one (and probably won't).

I think it's not a question of being trendy or in the mood, it's a question of "what do you like to wear".

Another example: I am a Rolex fan. My graal was the best sub (16610).

I have severals subs now, including an MBW (16610).

After that I wanted a 1680.

Then, why not check a SD....

The conclusion is:

I received my first SD today, that has been moded by a member. I would not want to wear any of my other watches now.

So, super rep, rep, moded rep, MBW/WM/TW Best...doesn't really matter.

What matters is what your heart is wanting in fact.

And, mine is only wanting to learn more and more and discover that the best sub isn't with a cyclop at all, but probably a SD.

Cheers

Stephane

As a noob, I would like to submit a simple concept.

I read most of the threads here, and it takes hours a day, believe me.

I have come to the conclusion that I should buy the ones I trully love.

In example, I bought a Fer002 from TTK and I'm now forcing a friend of mine to wear it as I do not.

I saw Pug's Poisson d'Acier (SteelFish) and wanted one. Still didn't buy it though.

I read all these HBB threads and didn't yet get one (and probably won't).

I think it's not a question of being trendy or in the mood, it's a question of "what do you like to wear".

Another example: I am a Rolex fan. My graal was the best sub (16610).

I have severals subs now, including an MBW (16610).

After that I wanted a 1680.

Then, why not check a SD....

The conclusion is:

I received my first SD today, that has been moded by a member. I would not want to wear any of my other watches now.

So, super rep, rep, moded rep, MBW/WM/TW Best...doesn't really matter.

What matters is what your heart is wanting in fact.

And, mine is only wanting to learn more and more and discover that the best sub isn't with a cyclop at all, but probably a SD.

Cheers

Stephane

I collected about 5 replicas that were "had to have" models driven primarily by a desire to buy up as many high quality reproductions as I could get my hands on. I bought an Omega Broad Arrow, an IWC GST Chrono, and a Tag Link Chrono because they were some of the best reps out there....the only problem was....I rarely wore them. I had a collection of over 25 watches and found myself wearing the same three on a regular basis...so I sold almost all of them.

My wearing these days is limited to a SS Submariner replica, a genuine Omega SMP Chrono, a Seiko Black Monster and a replica rose gold FA Jones. Just about everything else gets about 1-2 days a month including some beautiful Hamilton and Raymond Weil genuines. I'm not sure what to do with the "trailer queens". I used to think having a box full of rarely worn beautiful watches was a cool thing but now I see it as wasted cash.