When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona secs @ 6 'Lifers' review on the notorious 116520

rag9fx

The problems with the seconds at 6 Daytona's are well known and documented here (actually any seconds at 6 model is at risk, Protugese model, etc)

I just finished servicing one, and the only way I could get it to work, was to remove the running seconds at 6 gears...works great now...

It's no suprise that they are problematic, given that the movement is over worked.

RG

I don't understand why people continue to buy these knowing of the abysmal failure rate.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your not alone in wondering this...

I'll 3rd that pondering... With the extra gears loading down the movement... It's like a Yugo trying to pull a trailer home up a mountain; some of you may know the video I'm making an analogy of, but if not, have a look here :lol:

Seriously... One of my driving motivations for building my El Primero Daytonas was because that was the only way I'd have a properly functioning, aesthetically correct, 99.99% Daytona on my wrist (with self winding capabilities)...

I suppose hope springs eternal. Buyers hear a couple of owners who report no problems and believe the flip of the coin will come out a winner for them. The fact remains that failure is almost a certanty with these movements. The problem is in the design and as both Ziggy and Ubi have stated, an untenable strain on the power train. I can only speak for myself, but my intent in buying a mechanical watch is a hope that with regular servicing, it will last a long time. If the engineering is flawed from the start, then failure is guaranteed regardless of service. These watches are sure to be junk drawer inhabitants.

NOT SATISFIED ...

i found my watch ( in a box filled with foriegn coins) ... I am wearing it but i wonder how long that will last

I have learned ... it isn't adventadsious to type anything that will be 'public' when you are under the influence... in my case as i am typing whilst drunk... however type away shall i...

... If imitation is the highest form of flatterly then the rep 1165xx is by no means lending its muse any credit ... call me old fashioned ( i predominantly collect old beaters from the early 20th century) but i like my watches to work and be dependible even if they are older my father or my Gramnps for that matter...

but i have also come to expect less from reps ... ( i was brought up on canal street specials) ... but this is why the daytonas can be misleadng thier dials are exeptional.. build quality great... but the movment is rubbish ... i hate the fact that such a great looking piece conks out in the early mornings on me ... highly unreliable .... as many of my late night flings have been for that matter ...

My favourite moments with this watch have been the following:

1)Having a "Watch off " with 'City' worker ( those who work in London's fianancial district) on the tube. he was a wearing a Ti Breitling ( most likely gen) and he stood down when i flashed him my cuff ...

2) being repsected in Harvey Nicks when I had them searching for 1 hr and a half for a 15 GPB set of studs simply becuase i was wearing a flashy watch... that only really yells I have [censored] load of money... ( a dunhill stud set isn't isn't disposable stud set)

3) and also timing 1/4 mile runs in a Lambo Guillardo registered in dubai .. the watch felt like it belonged ...

The times that i have loatheed it ...

1) when it didn't keep time ...PERIOD...

2) the case dimensions are really off ... its dissapointing .. incredously too thick

3) how much it cost ....

the endline...

you really want one ... save your money ...

if you really need one... save your money buy one used ( gen) ... it will only set you back 4k ( GPB) at the best and it will be a piece to pass down from generation to generation

if not go down the UBI route and build a zenith franken... (i would if i could)

I wish you all better luck with your rep 1165xx's than i have had...

Ragsy

ps. sorry for the spelling/ gramatical errors i am quite tanked ...

NOT SATISFIED ...

i found my watch ( in a box filled with foriegn coins) ... I am wearing it but i wonder how long that will last

I have learned ... it isn't adventadsious to type anything that will be 'public' when you are under the influence... in my case as i am typing whilst drunk... however type away shall i...

... If imitation is the highest form of flatterly then the rep 1165xx is by no means lending its muse any credit ... call me old fashioned ( i predominantly collect old beaters from the early 20th century) but i like my watches to work and be dependible even if they are older my father or my Gramnps for that matter...

but i have also come to expect less from reps ... ( i was brought up on canal street specials) ... but this is why the daytonas can be misleadng thier dials are exeptional.. build quality great... but the movment is rubbish ... i hate the fact that such a great looking piece conks out in the early mornings on me ... highly unreliable .... as many of my late night flings have been for that matter ...

My favourite moments with this watch have been the following:

1)Having a "Watch off " with 'City' worker ( those who work in London's fianancial district) on the tube. he was a wearing a Ti Breitling ( most likely gen) and he stood down when i flashed him my cuff ...

2) being repsected in Harvey Nicks when I had them searching for 1 hr and a half for a 15 GPB set of studs simply becuase i was wearing a flashy watch... that only really yells I have [censored] load of money... ( a dunhill stud set isn't isn't disposable stud set)

3) and also timing 1/4 mile runs in a Lambo Guillardo registered in dubai .. the watch felt like it belonged ...

The times that i have loatheed it ...

1) when it didn't keep time ...PERIOD...

2) the case dimensions are really off ... its dissapointing .. incredously too thick

3) how much it cost ....

the endline...

you really want one ... save your money ...

if you really need one... save your money buy one used ( gen) ... it will only set you back 4k ( GPB) at the best and it will be a piece to pass down from generation to generation

if not go down the UBI route and build a zenith franken... (i would if i could)

I wish you all better luck with your rep 1165xx's than i have had...

Ragsy

ps. sorry for the spelling/ gramatical errors i am quite tanked ...

I love this post!!! Laughing from start to finish.

Boozy, passionate truth. I hope tomorrow is an off day!

Good Night

the sec @ 6 daytona rep is a piece of SH*T. i knew it and i still ordered one anyways haha. mine lasted 2 weeks. Why do they even build this thing?... now i will see if my rep dealer will honor his warranty...