When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona secs @ 6 'Lifers' review on the notorious 116520

rag9fx

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total wrist time to date: 15 days 13 hours 5 mins

Accuracy: +/- 7 seconds a day

Ok ... i went out lastnight and got incredibly trollied... i woke up this afternoon and looked at my watch and was astonished since it read 7:35 i must have gotten home at around ohh say 5 ish i turned to my to my girlfriend and said ...'Damn! its only 7:35 it feels a lot later then that ...' to which she replied, 'its a quarter to 1 ... now shut up my head is killing me!' but this is the issue ... the watch wasn't dead it was still ticking ... is it the watches fault or did i somewhere in the course of the night reset the time?.... i really can't remember in the same respect i also don't remember being over flirtatious with my girlfriend's russain friend but i apparently i was ... i am going to reset it and keep an eye on it for the next couple days or so and be really nice to my missus ...

i'll keep you all posted in a couple days or so ...

in the meantime a very hungover picture ...

the omega has the correct time (running +/- 2 seconds a day the omega 30t2 cal is a super dependable movment )

post-3361-1180355561_thumb.jpg

Ragsy

Has my watch made a miraculous recovery ?

Total wrist time to date : 25 days ( give or take )

Accuracy: who knows anymore.

As seen on my last post my 116520 decided to stop on me one morning ... yet the second hands were still ticking... i decided i would still wear it since i didn't know if it was the watch that was faulty or if i reset the time when i was out drinking the night previous... unfortunately it was the watch that was acting funky. i found that every 15 mins or so it would stop...at times for a couple of minutes and then it would start again as far as i was concerned i felt that this watch was probably about to sing its swan song (which is really quite annoying ) ... so i got intouch with the dealer/ collector (or whatever we're calling them these days) told him what was going on with the watch ... he told to wind the watch manually 30-40 times and get back to him with how long it ran for ( off the wrist) . I was certain that it was going to stop in 15 minutes time after i wound it ... but surprizingly it was going strong for about 26 and half hours ... not bad considering that this movment has 32 hour power reserve ( or is supposed to ) ... what this all means i am not sure ... but i am waiting for the dealer / collector to get back to me ....

I'll post more when i know more.

Ragsy.

The twitchy second hand is not a good sign. This is an 8 clicks per second 28,000 bph movement. The gearing that is required to move the constantly running seconds dial to the six oclock position, as well as the other gearing to swap the other subdials around, puts enormous, and some would say insurmountable (those who own DOA Daytonas), additive friction on the power train. If your second hand is not running 8 clicks per second smooth, there is inherent trouble in the drive train. The addition of lubrication oils in the jeweled pivots causes too much friction in these "taxed almost to the limit" machines and will cause them to stop.

Good luck but unlike other unaltered 7750s, 2+ days of relatively free running doesn't mean much with these ticking time bombs.

I have one which is almost 3 years old that keeps perfect time. The second hand has twitched from the day I got it, but it keeps running. I have a second one that stopped 2 days after I got it about 5 months ago. After being overhauled, it has been keeping perfect time ever since. Neither watch is worn often, but both are wound weekly.

These secs @ 6 chronos are probably not going to become (working) family heirlooms, but they do seem to benefit from being overhauled.

Always wanted one of these but not sure if I'm willing to take the chance. I wish someone would come up with a reliable fix for this, the overall rep itself is beautiful...they gotta do something about the movement, it would be well worth the effort because they would sell like crazy!

Just swap the iffy secs @ 6 chrono movement out for a reliable non-chrono movement with a single, separate secs @ 6 subdial and freeze the 3 & 9 subdial hands at 12. Done.

Freddy, is there a writeup on this somewhere? What movement exactly would do this and is it a drop in affair or is this a very advanced type of swap? Thanks

the latter watch you posted ( on the far right ) is 16520 which was in production from '98- '00 i belive (seconds running on the 9) which is the predecesor to the 116520 (seconds running at the six) which was in production from 2000-

although subtle ( i supose) there a lot of diffrences between these two models ...

got my sec at 6 a few days ago and it seems to be keeping good time.. played with the chronos a few times.. build quality is excellent.. we shall see how she lasts

Just bit the bullet on this one. I know it has two horrible flaws.

#1 Its probably going to last all of 3 days.

#2 rehaut too deep.

That said Ive looked at this watch for 2 months and decided I had to have it. I also bought the box from Joshua and some extras off ebay I figured at the very least it will be a impressive static display.

Edited by tonyp1

guys congratulation on your purchases...

in many respects it is great watch... after two weeks it started to stop and start on me but after manual winding it and keeping off my wrist ( as advised by the dealer/ collector from whence it came ) it was running for without a hitch for a couple days give or take... unfortunately as soon as i got it back on my wrist it went missing in action... so i wish i could contribute more but without it i can't ... i really miss the watch... at this point in time i am trying to justify getting another ... i have a lot of other financial obligations to attend to and every penny counts... but we'll see ...i feel that if i pull the trigger on a new one the other one will miraculously show up...

Well my daytona appears of showing some problems. I got it off a member a couple of months ago. It worked fine, however, never got too much wrist time. Lately I've started to wear it more. It would start/stop a couple of times, then be fine all day and through the night. Then start stop again the next day. Sometimes running the chronos seemed to set it straight. Now if just doesn't start. I think it's dead. I'm headed to my watch maker tonight to make funeral arrangements.

well i have now noticed that my daytona occasionaly runs slow.. lost 10min over a course of about 6 hours yesterday.. now it seems to be fine.. also the power reserve is about 1/4 that of my ETA submariners. if i take it off at night.. it will stop by the next afternoon. prob because of the extra gears in the sec@6 setup...

ok well now my daytona with sec @6 is toast. it keeps stopping and you have a tap the case to get it going again (even after winding manually) and when it does work, it loses about 15 min per hour. i have had this watch a week or so and worn it 3 or 4 times and its done. im not impressed :(

The problems with the seconds at 6 Daytona's are well known and documented here (actually any seconds at 6 model is at risk, Protugese model, etc)

I just finished servicing one, and the only way I could get it to work, was to remove the running seconds at 6 gears...works great now...

It's no suprise that they are problematic, given that the movement is over worked.

RG