When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Big Question

freddy333

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fx - That is on my list of experiments. But I have a feeling the amount of force that will be required to imprint into steel using constant pressure from a vise will greatly exceed my little hobbyist's vise's limitations. For that, I think a very large shop vise would be required and I do not have access to anything like that. The big problem now, is finding more scrap caseback to experiment on.

• 1 year later...

Hi Freddy pleased to meet you, when I did my drsd case back I used the dremmel with the small polishing wheel and kept polishing the stamping only and I spent ages on it the result I got was the widened stamping just like the original, I kept on polishing in all directions on each letter and one thing to keep in mind is all the case backs I have seen have had different mounts of wear, I did see a double red that had hardly been worn and the case back still had the black paint and believe it or not looked a lot like the mbw markings, also I think the comex numbers were stamped with a hand press.

Pauluk - I cannot imagine that polishing will do much to widen an MBW DRSD caseback engraving. I spent about an hour grinding my caseback with coarse sandpaper & it did little to widen the lettering (it did smooth the edges a bit, which helped). I then spent another hour polishing out the sandpaper marks.

believe it it really did take ages I posted pics on the replica collector a few years ago, the pictures will be on my old computer but I am working on a comex 1665 at the minute and I will post pictures when its finished I have some great parts to make it look good and can do the work myself no problem anyway keep polishing with the blue paste!

Guys,

It's been a while since I posted but the major telltale on the caseback used to be the dot between two words. If it aligns between the upper stripe of the E and the letter opposite it was gen... now it looks like it has been fixed. A lot of sanding and deepeening with the dremmel works to make it look more gen but the dot was the major problem...

BTW Flex you are lying yours is gen!