When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches and tattooed arms

TeeJay

Well, I dont have any tats and really have nothing to offer to this discussion lol. Other than I get a pretty dark tan in the summer and like to gauge my darkness by how white my wrist is under my watch. Its so drastic that you can even see the Panny crown guard in the tan/pale contrast! I dig it.

Anyway, I was going to say to leave a blank, watch-shaped, spot on your wrist where you watch sits on your wrist! I think that would kick A$$!

D

Do you know how much money a full Japanese sleeve (let alone a full body suit) would actually cost? A good sleeve alone would easily cost as much, if not more, than a gen Omega...

I can see Neil's point about dodgy tattoo parlors and mid-life crisis. But one must keep in mind that there is another end of the tattoo spectrum. Good tattoos from masters are not cheap! And even if you can afford it, it doesn't mean you will be able to get one. A good friend of mine, who happens to be a VP for a HR firm, waited over 1 year for an appointment. He got a piece done on his calf. $3500 pricetag. Even here in Vancouver there is a master tattooist called the Dutchmen. Try and get an appointment with him. No chance.

Look at what Kat from Miami Ink charges an hour. $400.

Tattooed arms and rich rock star = Maybe

10000 watch and tattooed arms = most likely rep

Quite simply the demographic that collects fine time pieces and the demographic that gets extensive tattoos do not usually overlap unless you are a wealthy rock star.

I hope that is not offensive because I think people should wear and do as they like but on average I would say that is true.

quote name='fitmic' date='May 18 2007, 07:42 AM' post='248931']

I have both my arms tattooed and still wear watches. :p

I don't agree with that in all cases ... I think that is very specific to cultural norms and local styles. Would not necessarily make that assumption in NYC for instance, despite your observations about 5th ave shops. Not that I am taking offence, I am not and do not have any to begin with. Just an observation.

I see them every hour of every day here in Pattaya....the place is hoaching with tattoo parlours....full of young bucks determined to look 'hard'.....and old codgers determined to look "young and hard".....again......nothing funnier than seeing some 48 year old....who's suddenly found himself on the verge of a 'new life'......walking about with a fresh tattoo up and around his leg........and his nipples pierced.......LMAO....!

Don't necessarily think those profiles (young bucks and old codgers like me) hold up everywhere... tatoos are quite a bit more trendy here than in other places i suppose. Again, not that i partake.

I can see Neil's point about dodgy tattoo parlors and mid-life crisis. But one must keep in mind that there is another end of the tattoo spectrum. Good tattoos from masters are not cheap! And even if you can afford it, it doesn't mean you will be able to get one. A good friend of mine, who happens to be a VP for a HR firm, waited over 1 year for an appointment. He got a piece done on his calf. $3500 pricetag. Even here in Vancouver there is a master tattooist called the Dutchmen. Try and get an appointment with him. No chance.

My point entirely. To be honest, full body suits are not the normal fare of the 'dodgy tattoo parlors' ;)

I have one sleeve done by John (The Dutchman) way back before he opened his first shop, in fact, it was all done at his home. Brings back great memories! Old clients can still get work done by John. From what I've seen of Kat's work on the tube, she's into B/W and does mostly portraits. Excellent work, BTW.

I've met more people with tattoos that own multiple gens than I have people without tattoos that on ANY gens. I think for people to think that what someone does to their body, reflects on their financial worth these days is retarded. By what I've read in this thread, it seems that if anyone here had seen me in person, most I imagine would not only never believe what I do for a living based off how I look, they also wouldn't believe I spend my free time and thousands of dollars buying watches. lol Just because someone is heavily tattooed doesn't equal lack of money or taste in material things.

To each, his own. Life is too short not to enjoy. And diversity makes for a stronger gene pool for us all-too-feeble self-destructive & wholly predictable humans. Aren't we all on our way out, anyway? ;) It seems to me that every time I check the time on my watch, I have less time on this earth.

Cheers :drunk:

Oh! I forgot to show everyone my new tattoo! Funnily enough, it is the same name as my username.... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I usually wear a business suit to work everyday; during the heat of the day i usually roll my sleeves up, but this tattoo is in such a plce that it doesn't get shown too much around work. I work in quite a formal place so this is a must for me.

This arm is also connected to the watch wearing wrist and i have gone out on many an occasion with the old Pam or Omega on the wrist with still the same compliments about the watch.

Thats my two pennies worth!

Moi.

post-655-1179783116_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaymoi

So yea if I saw someone with a sleeve of tattoos and a tank top on drinking mountain dew wearing a PAM........REP!!

My initial thought wouldn't be rep, it would be... stolen. But then, I think along the same lines as Neil on this; having said that I have mates who are tatooed bikers, or were in their younger days, and they are good blokes.

And the current trend of girls with tats on their lower back just says 'dirty skank' to me, especially since they try to show it off...

Make no mistake - there is true prejudice in many fields to readily evident large scale tats - especially as more and more fields go global. For an older generation which will still be running a significant portion of the global economy over the next 20 years it has a very different meaning. If you are a rock star or independent businessman it is irrelevant - unless you are sitting in front of the purchasing manager for Walmart trying to explain to him why he should buy 100,000 Ginzu knives from you and not someone else. ;)

Back to the topic at hand, I prefer a clean wrist for watch wearing purposes. But I suspect you could guess that. :lol:

Tattooed arms and rich rock star = Maybe

10000 watch and tattooed arms = most likely rep

Quite simply the demographic that collects fine time pieces and the demographic that gets extensive tattoos do not usually overlap unless you are a wealthy rock star.

I hope that is not offensive because I think people should wear and do as they like but on average I would say that is true.

quote name='fitmic' date='May 18 2007, 07:42 AM' post='248931']

I have both my arms tattooed and still wear watches. :p

Strictly speaking, he did say he is self employed, now that does not exclude the rock star profession :lol:

My initial thought wouldn't be rep, it would be... stolen. But then, I think along the same lines as Neil on this; having said that I have mates who are tatooed bikers, or were in their younger days, and they are good blokes.

And the current trend of girls with tats on their lower back just says 'dirty skank' to me, especially since they try to show it off...

That's interesting. I recently saw a biker wearing Seawolf, OK not a very expensive watch, but still, what is my impression? Must be gen, why -- well the guy looks nuts, full of tatoos, driving a Harley, which surely costs more then the watch, and this sort of foks are serious about some items, they go at extra length to get the right stuff, right? Well that is my impression, I would bet it was a genuine, whether the guy sold some drogs, robbed a jewlery store, or whether he's a rock star, he surely has the means of obtaining a genuine watch.