When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Funny encounters with your watch...

got-it

So I wore my pam 125 and went for a quick trip around the mall downtown after visiting a client. I walked into a high class jewelry store and looked around for a watchbox. I had a short sleeve shirt on, just browsing around, when the sales rep asked if he could assist me in anything. I inquired about some of his watchboxes. As soon as I mentioned "watchbox," I could see his eyes darting right to my wrist. I guess the guy knew what a panerai is, but not enough to know what is rep and what is gen, cause he said "That's a very nice Panerai watch, for such a nice watch, it's best to house it in one of these casings." He proceeded to show me a bunch of high quality casings.

Anyway, I was treated like royalty. He kept showing me stuff after stuff...and even offered me drinks LOL. I bought one of his watchboxes, thanked him, and left. He gave me his card and reminded me that if I ever needed anything, he would be willing to help.

Seriously, I've never gotten this kind of service at a jewelry store. Just thought I'd share a story about the power of replicas.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how could he notice its a rep? i bet you 10 bucks that not even mr. panerai himself would spot some of my pams as a rep ON MY WRIST :)

but i know what you are talkin about... i got this "special treatment" today at a furniture store, because i had my LV sub on!

Tis true...

Was in Sak's 5th ave in ATL last weekend w/ my girlfriend on way back to masters; I was just goofing in watches while my girlfriend looked at shoes/sunglasses/etc. Was wearing the big 127, saleswoman tripped over herself to pull out a few cartiers even though I told her I was just goofing and waiting on my girl. Tried on the Santos 100 Chrono though.. MONSTER watch, that thing is huge!

Back in my past life when I was involved with gens, I showed a very uppity uptight snob of a purist colleague of mine one of my genuines, telling him it was a fake just to mess with his mind. He stammered, and said 'of course! I knew it was from the moment I saw it'. I couldn't help laughing in his face about that one, especially since he was *the* self proclaimed expert. Now, I show him my MBW's and say... Real? Fake? His response is a flustered look and hurried walk past me. I love rattling some cages!

Back in my past life when I was involved with gens, I showed a very uppity uptight snob of a purist colleague of mine one of my genuines, telling him it was a fake just to mess with his mind. He stammered, and said 'of course! I knew it was from the moment I saw it'. I couldn't help laughing in his face about that one, especially since he was *the* self proclaimed expert. Now, I show him my MBW's and say... Real? Fake? His response is a flustered look and hurried walk past me. I love rattling some cages!

Man are you stubborn ;)

I wore my Royal Oak Chronograph to the AP boutique and other AP dealers in Paris late last year, and got the royal treatment from all these stores. I was allowed to listen to AP Grande Complications, Minute Repeaters, Richard Mille tourbillons, and everything that is as expensive as a house. It was like they couldn't show me enough. :)

And there was the time in Montreal, wearing the UN Freak got my the royal treatment at a high-end watch store that sells Lange, Vacheron, Breguet, Blancpain etc...... They even showed me some very nice pieces from the back too, including the UN Trilogy of Time set.

My father walked into a jewelry store to look at watches for my mother. He was wearing the EL Rollie Presidential (gold) that I got him about a year ago. The jeweler said, nice watch! My father said, yea, it was a gift from my son. The jeweler said, after looking it over off of his wrist, WOW, that must have cost him about 11k or so...my dad just smiled and said thanks. Now, can I take a look at that Casio? HA HA HA HA HA!!

My father walked into a jewelry store to look at watches for my mother. He was wearing the EL Rollie Presidential (gold) that I got him about a year ago. The jeweler said, nice watch! My father said, yea, it was a gift from my son. The jeweler said, after looking it over off of his wrist, WOW, that must have cost him about 11k or so...my dad just smiled and said thanks. Now, can I take a look at that Casio? HA HA HA HA HA!!

Fantastic! Hows the gold on that watch?

Very cool story, along with the other ones on the thread!

Floris

To this day...STILL looks brand new. And he wears it all through the day...AND when he sleeps because he wants to make sure it keeps the time. I told him I'd get him a winder, but nothing doing. He loves the watch.

Great watch indeed! Cant believe that gold is still intact!

Just buy the winder for him, dont ask, dad's are always modest (well.....mine is :) )

Tis true...

Was in Sak's 5th ave in ATL last weekend w/ my girlfriend on way back to masters; I was just goofing in watches while my girlfriend looked at shoes/sunglasses/etc. Was wearing the big 127, saleswoman tripped over herself to pull out a few cartiers even though I told her I was just goofing and waiting on my girl. Tried on the Santos 100 Chrono though.. MONSTER watch, that thing is huge!

Oh yeah, when I'm in ATL I like to visit Lennox Mall, there is a watch store there that has every brand you could imagine under one roof. And yes the sales people stare at your wrist to size you up! :whistling: Just the outer window has about 100 watches in it. I was drooling all the way past the store!

The area I live in, the highest end watch I've seen in jewellers are Tags ... I spent 30 mins or so talking watches with one of the guys in there though and one of the pretty girls had my Omega SMP checked out :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Some people would say the area I live in is kind of rough... a lot of people have moved out and refugees housed here, as well as problems with East European gangs. A few years ago there was a shooting on a friend's road nearby, and on the next road, a crack house was closed down...

And still the house prices are over USD 500,000 here!

Anyway, someone wearing a real watch will most likely be called out for wearing a fake I reckon, so at least no one will try to rob you... having said that I have lived here all my life (even in the good safer times) and I've never encountered any problems, but my brother has been the victims of 2 attempted muggings ... but nothing happened.

Anyway, someone wearing a real watch will most likely be called out for wearing a fake I reckon, so at least no one will try to rob you... having said that I have lived here all my life (even in the good safer times) and I've never encountered any problems, but my brother has been the victims of 2 attempted muggings ... but nothing happened.

struck them down with his fiddy?

To this day...STILL looks brand new. And he wears it all through the day...AND when he sleeps because he wants to make sure it keeps the time. I told him I'd get him a winder, but nothing doing. He loves the watch.

I never understand some parent's affinity for random watches. My little brother bought a fake swiss army watch in DC as a gag gift for $10 and gave it to my father. It SCREAMED fake, quartz, etc. it had some sort of mood back that changed from black to bronze on occasion, never really figured that out. Some sort of wanna-be PVD coating he scratched to pieces on the outside.

Wore it till the first battery died, replaced it, and wore again every day. He went through two bands as well after the first velcro NATO style one wore out. I go to visit this year, notice he isn't wearing it and asked what happened. He said it died and he had "tried to open it" which apparently involved a screw driver, a hammer, and possibly a wrench. Needless to say mother bought him a new, real watch ( she hated the fake one anyways). I can't believe he got so much use out of a $10 street side rep though, but I sure am glad it died.

A friend of my nephews, was given a gen Jacob & Co watch for his birthday from his father. I had met him a few times and seen the watch, very flash.

Whilst riding his Scooter in North London he was hit by a car and badly hurt. His watch was stolen from his wrist whilst he was unconscious lying in the road.

Some people are just scum

A friend of my nephews, was given a gen Jacob & Co watch for his birthday from his father. I had met him a few times and seen the watch, very flash.

Whilst riding his Scooter in North London he was hit by a car and badly hurt. His watch was stolen from his wrist whilst he was unconscious lying in the road.

Thats disgusting.

I'm in North London... and it wasn't me!

My brother isnt really into watches, but he likes the genuine Omega two tone Constellation he was given as a wedding gift, though I've never seen him wear it.

He moved to east London.. or just outside, to be closer to his in-laws :o .

No one in my family is into watches, and none of my friends are either. I've gotten lots of comments on my various Panerai watches, and 9 times out of 10, the comments come from attractive women. For some reason, they love the watches. I think that women are much more aware of the accessories that other people wear. Whenever I wear a PAM out somewhere, especially the mall, I can always count on someone asking me about it.

It's holiday season so I've not been out and about too much since I got the extra links for my LV Sub from Andrew but yesterday we were in a restaurant and the waiter just said 'Nice Watch' as he took our order. I just said 'Thank you' back and didn't think anything more of it until Mrs. kasigi mentioned later how exceptionally good the service had been.

Was it related? I don't know but the service was certainly better than usual.

when i got nice comments about my watches, it was also usualy done by women OR gays (!!)

women usualy tend to ask (what might sound like a stupid question to us) what the little think on the left of my fiddy is... they usualy dont get why someone puts a small second hand over there :p

Edited by slay

It's holiday season so I've not been out and about too much since I got the extra links for my LV Sub from Andrew but yesterday we were in a restaurant and the waiter just said 'Nice Watch' as he took our order. I just said 'Thank you' back and didn't think anything more of it until Mrs. Feek mentioned later how exceptionally good the service had been.

Was it related? I don't know but the service was certainly better than usual.

K.

Must be the guns you carry :thumbsupsmileyanim: