When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Funny encounters with your watch...

got-it

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a flip-side story...I have a gen speedy that is 20+ years old passed down to me and I am passing it down to my younger brother. Before I do so, I wanted it serviced at the local Tourneau. Since it is old, the caseback is without serial number and is slightly different than today's model. The guy thinks it is rep from the start and whips out of the case a new model to compare side-by-side while asking questions like "where did you get it" and why don't you have any paperwork? I really hate that shop, but didn't know of another place that would service it. In any case- I can't wait to get my 177H from Andy and start browsing that store. They don't sell them at that store and this guy has about as much knowledge as a doornob. They probably follow me around the store like a lost puppy!

Cool thread!

Here's a flip-side story...I have a gen speedy that is 20+ years old passed down to me and I am passing it down to my younger brother. Before I do so, I wanted it serviced at the local Tourneau. Since it is old, the caseback is without serial number and is slightly different than today's model. The guy thinks it is rep from the start and whips out of the case a new model to compare side-by-side while asking questions like "where did you get it" and why don't you have any paperwork? I really hate that shop, but didn't know of another place that would service it. In any case- I can't wait to get my 177H from Andy and start browsing that store. They don't sell them at that store and this guy has about as much knowledge as a doornob. They probably follow me around the store like a lost puppy!

Cool thread!

I took mine to the Omega shop in London... they were probably thinking who is this guy as the way I dress is not the kind of people they would normally have in their shop. Their watchsmith opened up the back and verified it and gave me a year on it (around 1990 I think). Nice shop :thumbsupsmileyanim:

While working out at the gym, a nice looking blonde was checking me out. When she was done with her machine she began cleaning it off and noticed my watch. I was wearing my 196. She said "nice watch, kind of rare". She also said she like my strap (a Don black and grey shark). She then walked away.

I realized a couple of minutes later that I had met her before. I was invited to the unveiling of Panerai at one of my local jewelers (the first Panerai rep in the area) and she was the area rep. She had no clue that what I was wearing was a rep (I made sure she didn't see the date font, which I think is the only thing that gives a 196 away). She's new to repping Pams, but I still feel like my watch passed muster easily.

While working out at the gym, a nice looking blonde was checking me out. When she was done with her machine she began cleaning it off and noticed my watch. I was wearing my 196. She said "nice watch, kind of rare". She also said she like my strap (a Don black and grey shark). She then walked away.

I realized a couple of minutes later that I had met her before. I was invited to the unveiling of Panerai at one of my local jewelers (the first Panerai rep in the area) and she was the area rep. She had no clue that what I was wearing was a rep (I made sure she didn't see the date font, which I think is the only thing that gives a 196 away). She's new to repping Pams, but I still feel like my watch passed muster easily.

Get involved with her... there's a few free genuine pams in it for you ...

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Went to WEM this weekend and walked into Rolex AD. I was pushing the stroller, but it was empty. My wife took our kids to the fun-centre and had some bags of clothes for me to take to the car. I walked into the AD, the Rolex area is in a seperate room. So, here I am, empty 2 kid stroller (looking like a nut), and the guy asks if he can help me. I tell him I want to look at subs...no prob he says...and is really nice to me. I see him look at my TWG 5513 on my wrist. He comments "nice, older piece you have" then proceeds to show me the anniversary GMT. He even lets me try it on. I had a good 20 minute watch conversation with him...wife kept wondering what took me so long!

i was out a few days ago with some friends, of which one usualy wears expensive watches. i wore my sub and he asked me to pass him the watch and looked and it and tells me "is it fake?" i said "guess!" he said "yes it is"

i ask him what makes him think that, and he replplied

"the link after the endlink needs to be stiff!" i was like "wtf?" and asked him to pass me HIS watch. he obviously did NOT want to pass it to me, since he just showed it and i was like "cummon dude, pass it!" and he did pass it over, but didnt feel good about it!

his sub was like the worst i had seen. it was a newer model but had non-SEL endlinks, real crappy endlinks! the bezel looked like [censored], it was very hard to turn it, the priting on the dial was way off, it looked like silver printing, the holo on the back was the wrong one... typical example of a canal street rep! but i said nothing.

i mean, hes got tons of money, he drives an audi tt and has a huge fancy house and all... and pretends his cheap knock off fake is genuine

i was out a few days ago with some friends, of which one usualy wears expensive watches. i wore my sub and he asked me to pass him the watch and looked and it and tells me "is it fake?" i said "guess!" he said "yes it is"

i ask him what makes him think that, and he replplied

"the link after the endlink needs to be stiff!" i was like "wtf?" and asked him to pass me HIS watch. he obviously did NOT want to pass it to me, since he just showed it and i was like "cummon dude, pass it!" and he did pass it over, but didnt feel good about it!

his sub was like the worst i had seen. it was a newer model but had non-SEL endlinks, real crappy endlinks! the bezel looked like [censored], it was very hard to turn it, the priting on the dial was way off, it looked like silver printing, the holo on the back was the wrong one... typical example of a canal street rep! but i said nothing.

i mean, hes got tons of money, he drives an audi tt and has a huge fancy house and all... and pretends his cheap knock off fake is genuine

LOL, that's pretty funny. Reminds me of a friend who thinks my daytona is fake as well. Of course, he was wearing a rolex datejust with the wrong magnification. I called him on it though.

Went to my local mall here in NW London, passed by one of those stores which "rapairs shoes, cuts keys, and does watch repairs"...I saw he had a waterproof testing machine so I asked how much he charges, he asked to see my watch...I handed over my speedy moon watch, he looks at the front, turns it around...I'm waiting to hear if he'll ask if it's a replica...instead he says "Hmm...this doesn't use a battery...blah blah blah" told me that my watch wasn't water proof because it didn't have "water proof" written on it... :bangin:

As Chronus would say....PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :p

Went to my local mall here in NW London, passed by one of those stores which "rapairs shoes, cuts keys, and does watch repairs"...I saw he had a waterproof testing machine so I asked how much he charges, he asked to see my watch...I handed over my speedy moon watch, he looks at the front, turns it around...I'm waiting to hear if he'll ask if it's a replica...instead he says "Hmm...this doesn't use a battery...blah blah blah" told me that my watch wasn't water proof because it didn't have "water proof" written on it... :bangin:

PMSL :D

So would he not check it for you then?

i didnt wanna embarass him infront of all the others... (there was girls near us!) :)

But he didnt mind embarrassing you when his was clearly vastly inferior, and he couldn't really tell if it was a genuine or not.

Definitely a Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee moment :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Apparently there is a watchsmith in Picadilly Circus tube station that does waterproof testing. I havent gone there myself, but if you find it let me know exactly where it is! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I just went into that store for the hell of it :p.

Narikaa was kind enough to give me a contact for a good watch smith that works on reps in the UK, so if I ever have a problem i'll know where to go...and plus i wouldn't go swimming with my speedy even if it did test waterproof, too much at risk for me.

Here's a strange one... coming back into Canada with a PAM111H, which I had worn with me on the way out, but forgot to declare (yes, that was stupid), Canadian customs INSISTED that I was trying to import the watch, and wanted to charge me both duty and excise taxes. I am caught in a dilemma, either I pay a silly $600 amount, or I state that it is a rep and have it confiscated! I tried explaining to them that I had taken it with me out of the country in the first place, but they insisted that I prove it, either by showing them an earlier purchase receipt (ahhaaa) or provide them with the name of my authorized dealer in Canada, so that they can call and confirm my story. After about 15 minutes, it dawned on me that i had my digital camera on me, which included pictures of me on my way out of the country some two weeks earlier, WITH THE WATCH ON MY WRIST! They reluctantly agreed that the watch I was wearing was "substantially the same" as the one in the pictures, and let the issue go.

Moral of the story, I am wearing a Timex the next time I leave the country.

Here's a strange one... coming back into Canada with a PAM111H, which I had worn with me on the way out, but forgot to declare (yes, that was stupid), Canadian customs INSISTED that I was trying to import the watch, and wanted to charge me both duty and excise taxes. I am caught in a dilemma, either I pay a silly $600 amount, or I state that it is a rep and have it confiscated! I tried explaining to them that I had taken it with me out of the country in the first place, but they insisted that I prove it, either by showing them an earlier purchase receipt (ahhaaa) or provide them with the name of my authorized dealer in Canada, so that they can call and confirm my story. After about 15 minutes, it dawned on me that i had my digital camera on me, which included pictures of me on my way out of the country some two weeks earlier, WITH THE WATCH ON MY WRIST! They reluctantly agreed that the watch I was wearing was "substantially the same" as the one in the pictures, and let the issue go.

Moral of the story, I am wearing a Timex the next time I leave the country.

That is insane. I travel out of the country a lot, so it's nice to be aware of something like this. Thanks!

Hehe some funny stories here. Have had two so far a rather funny one with a so called watch experts and my reps. So far I have gotten fairly good treatment from watch stores no matter what I have had on so can't say I have noticed, though the Panerai AD in Knightsbridge did fall over himself and handed me every catalogue possible when I asked him for some prices, did have my 111 on that day.

First off was the first day I wore my Daytona out, got called out by someone in a rather belittling way who actually works at a Jeweller and is the expert on most things watch related :rolleyes: because my "second hand" was not moving... was rather embarrasing for him having pointed out its in the sub-dial as two other friends with gen dayt's couldnt stop laughing at him and he is still getting stick for that comment everytime we go out almost a month on.

Another and only one so far with a Panerai - 092, decided to wear it with the rubber deployment and while having a few drinks someone at our table passed a comment on a colleague's new Armani watch who in turn decided to point at mine and go "atleast I dont wear cheapo casio rubber strap watches". :D The guy who ribbed him then rather loudly said "Thats a Panerai mate, it probably cost more then your car" :D hahhaa

Another and only one so far with a Panerai - 092, decided to wear it with the rubber deployment and while having a few drinks someone at our table passed a comment on a colleague's new Armani watch who in turn decided to point at mine and go "atleast I dont wear cheapo casio rubber strap watches". :D The guy who ribbed him then rather loudly said "Thats a Panerai mate, it probably cost more then your car" :D hahhaa

LOL, great stuff!! I can't believe people would actually comment on the rubber strap thing, but apparently they do, because the same thing just happened to me this morning

I was in downtown calgary, getting my usual from starbucks. I was with a friend of mine who's seen my watch and knows what an Arktos is. He also knows it's a rep. While sitting with my friend, his loud mouth coworker decides to join us. Seeing my panerai strap, he says "what kind of cheap ass watch comes with a rubber strap anymore???" as he proceeded to lift and rest his left arm on the table, showcasing his Fossil. My friend leans over and says "Uh, That's a Panerai Arktos."

Coworker responds, "So? never heard of it."

Friend, "That's because it retails for 7,500usd and only 500 copies were made."

coworker, "Oh..."

LOL, I laughed my ass off.