When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

wow. it would be such a treat to find a family heirloom like that and have it restored. time to give my grandparents a call and see if they have any old watches :g:

deltatahoe

That is exactly the scenario with this one, but it's not up to me to share those details, the owner can if he choses to post the history...

I too would like to find one to restore, but there are none to be found in my family...

RG

The Zigmeister,

Thank you so much for restoring this old boy to running condition. Cant wait to get it

back home. I just purchased a chain so that I can wear it in a vest pocket on the two

or three times each year that I'm forced to wear a suit & tie. I also ordered a display

dome and will use it as a "desk clock". Winding it on a daily basis will give me great

pleasure.

I was amazed when you called and told me that you had not only repaired it, but it

was also keeping accurate time.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Granddaddy would be proud.

BD

Great stuff Rob. I take it the Ruby inpulse jewel is a readily available part?

Amazingly, it was available, as was the new mainspring...

I am sure there are some parts that are obsolete, but common parts can be had.

@BD

It was my pleasure doing this work for you, shipping it back on Tuesday, after the long weekend...

RG

That is exactly the scenario with this one, but it's not up to me to share those details, the owner can if he choses to post the history...

I too would like to find one to restore, but there are none to be found in my family...

RG

"History"

My parents passed away last month and my brother and I were sadly going through their things, and

and packed away in mom's cedar chest, were 2 boxes. One was labeled Grandfather and the other, Grandma.

In Grandfather's box were 40 to 50 pieces of his past including 4 old pocket watches. This one, which The Zigmeister

tells me is a size 18, was the largest.

I popped open the front of the case, exposing a remarkably preserved dial and hand set. I held my breath

and gave the stem several turns, gave it a tap or two, and waited - Nothing - not even one tic-toc.

I emailed The Zigmeister and asked if he would consider taking a look at it. When he said "yes" I beat a path to the

Post Office and it was on his way to Canada.

When he called and told me that this wonderful old keepsake that had been packed away in the dark for

the last 60 years, was now ticking happily away again, my heart almost stopped. He put it up to the phone

and I listened to a remarkable "tic-toc" sound for thirty seconds or so - A real rush!!!

I hope that by now, it's on its way back home. I thought that waiting on a Rep purchase to arrive was maddening.

This is even worse. I've never watched for the Postal carrier so much in my life!!!

Thanks again The Zigmeister

"History"

My parents passed away last month and my brother and I were sadly going through their things, and

and packed away in mom's cedar chest, were 2 boxes. One was labeled Grandfather and the other, Grandma.

In Grandfather's box were 40 to 50 pieces of his past including 4 old pocket watches. This one, which Ziggy

tells me is a size 18, was the largest.

I popped open the front of the case, exposing a remarkably preserved dial and hand set. I held my breath

and gave the stem several turns, gave it a tap or two, and waited - Nothing - not even one tic-toc.

I emailed Ziggy and asked if he would consider taking a look at it. When he said "yes" I beat a path to the

Post Office and it was on his way to Canada.

When he called and told me that this wonderful old keepsake that had been packed away in the dark for

the last 60 years, was now ticking happily away again, my heart almost stopped. He put it up to the phone

and I listened to a remarkable "tic-toc" sound for thirty seconds or so - A real rush!!!

I hope that by now, it's on its way back home. I thought that waiting on a Rep purchase to arrive was maddening.

This is even worse. I've never watched for the Postal carrier so much in my life!!!

Thanks again Ziggy

Great story, so sorry to hear about your loss.

With the long weekend here, and knowing that the postal service won't be moving anything in Canada over the next few days, I will wait and ship it Tuesday. That way it's not sitting around all weekend...

RG

Fantastic art work The Zigmeister and as usual, terrific detailed photos. What an enjoyable read this post is! Thank you very much for sharing.

How many watchmakers would go through the time to replace an incorrect jewel? I suspect not many would go through the trouble . I'm a vintage pocket watch admirer myself and often check them out at various sites. They represent the meticulous craftsmanship of watchmaking that once was and sadly missing today.

Bigdoggy, very sorry to hear about your loss.

The Zigmeister,

That is superb. I have this old IWC pocket watch from that same era from my granddad who passed away at the age of 93 back in 1993. He has gotten this watch from his father and gave it to me when he was still alive. It is a 14k gold IWC. It still runs strong but I am sure it culd use an overhaul... The Zigmeister please PM me for possibilities and details. I would love to share these pics with all you guys...

250046-7817.jpg

250046-7818.jpg

Excellent once again. The upside of these pocket watch movements is that the parts are usually far larger than what you'd be dealing with in a wristwatch. Suffice to say the last joker inside this movement should go back to working on lawnmowers.