When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub SS bracelt allergy :-(

Golfman

I've bought my Andrew "Perfect Sub" few months ago, and always wear it druring a day (like to change every day). Last we i have wor it all week end long and since have an allergy on the back of my wrist !!!!! Does it mean that SS is not really SS ? Have many of you have this pb too ? If i want to put a gen bracelet, would it fit on myAndrews' model ?

Thanks for your help, day after day i love more and more my sub (i remember that i hate Rolex 6 months ago)

GM

I've bought my Andrew "Perfect Sub" few months ago, and always wear it druring a day (like to change every day). Last we i have wor it all week end long and since have an allergy on the back of my wrist !!!!! Does it mean that SS is not really SS ? Have many of you have this pb too ? If i want to put a gen bracelet, would it fit on myAndrews' model ?

Thanks for your help, day after day i love more and more my sub (i remember that i hate Rolex 6 months ago)

GM

I have a stron allergy to anything not being SS, gold, silver etc and nevaer had a probem with any rep bracelet... have you tried with anothe rep or aftermarket one before going for a gen? they're expensive...

I have a stron allergy to anything not being SS, gold, silver etc and nevaer had a probem with any rep bracelet... have you tried with anothe rep or aftermarket one before going for a gen? they're expensive...

I am like you : never have pb with real SS buckle (gen deployant buckle or rep PAM and iwc buckle).

But i will not be so affirmative with SS barcelet, but if it's in SS i don't see any reason for different reaction than SS buckle or deployant buckle..

So, it's the reason why i ask myself if the bracelet from Andrew is really a SS one ????

If someone knows, please help ;)

Second question : is a gen one will fit on my rep, and how much could it be ?

Thanks

Another option you might like to consider, is ordering a very cheap rep of a Rolex Daytona with a leather strap. Throw the Daytona in the trash, and put the Submariner on the leather strap. That gives the watch a much more elegant look than either the SS Bracelet or a NATO strap. Best of luck :)

Another option you might like to consider, is ordering a very cheap rep of a Rolex Daytona with a leather strap. Throw the Daytona in the trash, and put the Submariner on the leather strap. That gives the watch a much more elegant look than either the SS Bracelet or a NATO strap. Best of luck :)

The problem is that i really like SS bracelet on a Sub :wub:

You can buy a used gen stainless steel Sub bracelet on ebay for somewhere between $600-$900.

I have a couple of Andrew's Subs and they all have stainless steel bracelets. So there are 2 possibilities that come to mind -- either something that you are allergic to got spilled onto the bracelet or you may have always been allergic to the metal but just never (before) reacted to it. Allergies are strange in the way they come and go. I know because I have alot of allergies and they are very unreliable.

If something got spilled onto the bracelet, try this -- Remove the watch head from the bracelet and soak or wash the bracelet (without the watch head) in denatured or isopropyl alcohol. After that, wash it again with liquid hand or dish soap and water. If you cleaned it well, the alcohol and soap should have removed all (or most) of whatever agent was on the bracelet. But if you get the same thing on your wrist again, then you almost certainly have an allergy to the metal. If that is the case, the only thing you can do is to replace the metal bracelet with a material strap or ignore the allergy, if you can.

paint the inside of your bracelet with clear nail polish. I would recommend washing the bracelet with hot soap and water first.

I thought I had a rash from the bracelet too, but it just turned out to be mosquito's liking my Rol.

nickel allergies are very very common and nickel is one of the things that makes stainless steel, stainless :)

actually the 9 series stainless used by rolex has a higher nickel (and chromium) content than the 3 series stainless used by rep makers (and by omega and IWC and breitling) so if your problem is a nickel allergy a gen bracelet might make it worse!

lots of guys with this problem on the gen forums paint the back of stainless watches with clear nail polish. or just only wear ti watches ;)

i also get metal alergies. i agree to clean it really well..sometimes when my gen sub gets dirty from sweat and what not on hot days i get the rash.. cleaning the watch well always helps. I clean my jewellery in Mr.Clean and rubbing alcohol. im really sensative to metals but new quality reps dont bother me. I remember about 10 yrs ago having a day date gold replica and wow it just killed my wrist and i would get the worst rash but i wore it anyways!! haha.. nail polish was a good short term fix but wore off after a day or so and just left a nasty mess after a few applications...

• 3 months later...

After differents tests, the results : I washed it with soap, alcool, etc.... and always the same : allergy came back.

But during my holidays, i have tried to paint the back of bracelet with clear nail polish (special polish for this use bought in pharmacy) : i have weared it 2 weeks long on the beach, sand, water, 25m diving, and everything it's ok now (i applicated a new polish every 3 days to be sure to have good protection).

Thanks all, cause my sub is now on my top3 prefered watches :D

After differents tests, the results : I washed it with soap, alcool, etc.... and always the same : allergy came back.

But during my holidays, i have tried to paint the back of bracelet with clear nail polish (special polish for this use bought in pharmacy) : i have weared it 2 weeks long on the beach, sand, water, 25m diving, and everything it's ok now (i applicated a new polish every 3 days to be sure to have good protection).

Thanks all, cause my sub is now on my top3 prefered watches :D

If you don't want to be bothered with repainting every few days, maybe pay a visit to your local sign shop. Ask them for a scrap of sign vinyl. they will have many colours to choose from. If it is just the clasp, then stick a piece of vinyl on the back, and trim it. The stuff is sticky, waterproof and will last a very long time. just make sure the surface is clean before applying.

now thats a really good idea!!! You can even use a heat gun to mold it around any little contours

Lonnie

If you don't want to be bothered with repainting every few days, maybe pay a visit to your local sign shop. Ask them for a scrap of sign vinyl. they will have many colours to choose from. If it is just the clasp, then stick a piece of vinyl on the back, and trim it. The stuff is sticky, waterproof and will last a very long time. just make sure the surface is clean before applying.